Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

30 minutes ago, Paul Bradley said:

So, having looked through my 1,000+ references, I see that I don't have a book on the Hellcat....!   

Quick question then for FAA experts - could this kit be done in TSS? MUCH prettier and far less boring than overall GSB........  Or would we have to convert back to a Hellcat I and what would that entail? 

A quick search shows what appear to be a Hellcat IIs in TSS

http://www.thescale.info/news/publish/Hellcat-photos-royal-navy.shtml

main differences were the window behind the cockpit, different cowl flaps (some sources say the cowl itself was different)  and possibly some wing panel diffs

Edited by Dave Fleming

10 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Off the top of my head, I’d say no, Hellcat IIs were Sea Blue.

main differences were the window behind the cockpit, different cowl flaps (some sources say the cowl itself was different)  and possibly some wing panel diffs

This looks like a Hellcat II in TSS:

eabc9ccbeecdbd9cd9402cf8615ddd55.jpg

What's the purpose of the markings on the spine and the footprint like marks above the squadron codes?

Here's a profile of a different aircraft:

ospreyaa75reviewrk_2.jpg

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From a marketing perspective I can to some extent understand the decision, as there seems to be no real large scale competition in Hellcats and I presume that the US market is a significantly large one? I too would have loved a Corsair, but that's already well into Tamiya territory, and I guess if the engine is on a separate sprue that we may see it used again on a different plane.

I doubt that that will sell all that many here in the Antipodes either.

Like the Typhoon it looks fantastic, it's just not my thing.

Steve

Just back up the road from having been at Telford today and was stood at the Airfix stand as the announcement was made and the banner unfurled. To be homest I think most were initally a little underwhelmed at the news - myself included - but as the day went on and after my several trips to the Airfix stand I changed my mind and think they have a real cracker in the pipeline and many will really look forward to the release of this kit.

The sprues and built up model looked great and Airfix will be able to sell this to the US market in US navy markings and here in the UK in Royal Navy colours. While 1/24 scale may be a problem for some many may be tempted to try this kit because the model does come with the wings folded option. Great for those where space is at a premium.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I wish them well and hope it sells by the truckload, which I'm sure it will. 

And just when I was thinking of stocking up on 1/32 WW2 USN subject matter. 

Have tried so hard to resist but now the Kinetic P-47s, Airfix car door Typhoon and Trumpeter Hurricane and Suisen are looking tastier and tastier.

Tony 

7 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

This looks like a Hellcat II in TSS:

What's the purpose of the markings on the spine and the footprint like marks above the squadron codes?

Here's a profile of a different aircraft:

Ha! You beat me to my correction!

Not sure about those marks, could be repairs?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bradleygolding said:

From a marketing perspective I can to some extent understand the decision, as there seems to be no real large scale competition in Hellcats and I presume that the US market is a significantly large one?

I wonder about that, I'm a US-based modeller (but willing to relocate, should someone in the UK need an experienced social media manager, hint hint), and most of the affection here is for the Corsair. Personally I don't get it, it seems like kind of a random choice. I hope it does well, of course, so they can afford to make more kits I do like.

• Like 3

I see generally a positive reaction to this but note a mood which I wasn't aware of before, and don't adhere to myself - that if you're a British modeller you only build stuff which is either British in manufacture, or served with one of our air arms. Well I never expect Eduard to make solely Czech subjects or Hasegawa to make entirely Japanese. Neither did I get in a tizz anytime the latest release isn't an F-86H in 1/24 (well OK a bit). So why should Airfix be treated any differently? OK many manufacturers put a local slant on their releases by putting in different colour schemes, but that is after all just what Airfix has done with FAA decal options for this 1/24 beauty.

I like to build anything from anywhere and so long as I enjoy doing it, I shall keep on that way. I hope I'm not in the odd minority, because I really don't give a hoot if Airfix's latest has a UK angle to it (and why on earth should it!????) or not.

What I must really praise Airfix for, is issuing something in a scale that's not been kitted before and resisting suggestions to re-hash an existing kit that's still perfectly good, just to make it marginally better than the old one!

That feels better. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

It's not so much a case of how substantial the US market might be, but some time talking with various manufacturers within the modelling industry globally will drive home how small the UK market is.

Long gone are the days when something (such as an injection moulded kit) selling well here in the UK is enough to call it a commercial success. It simply must do much better than that.

Sorry guys who wanted retooled Spitfires. I will reiterate my previous point though and there was a practical demonstration of my point on this very forum about a month ago. Airfix tooled a new HP Victor in 1/72. It's very nice. Not my scale but I got one anyway. There's a thread up in the aircraft modelling section of the forum asking if the Matchbox/Revell boxed Victor is all that bad because it's much, much cheaper. The thread is full of plucky modellers assuring that with enough work the old one will look good - which is entirely true.

Had yesterday's unvailing been a 1/24 Spitfire it still would have been around £120 RRP. Immediately those who wanted a big Spit would pull the 2 old tool big Spit boxes with £25 price stickers on out of the stash and convince themselves that the £25 one isn't all that bad. That thinking would reduce sales a new Vulcan tooling from the off too - and nobody cares about Vulcans outside of the UK which brings us back to the beginning of my post.

Airfix does produce UK-centric subjects, but they can't do that every time and remain globally relevant. Outwith the UK the trend is tending towards larger models. It matters little if they ever get built - it's what people want to buy that keeps businesses afloat.

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

and nobody cares about Vulcans outside of the UK which brings us back to the beginning of my post.

Ok - I’ll bite. That was not a bad post until I read that statement. 

A lot of us (outside the UK) grew up reading many British published books and magazines so naturally have gathered our aviation interlect on these subjects. Time will tell if this Hellcat is a big success and I’m sure those who won’t buy one wish others do so that Airfix can flourish like we know they can. 

Although I was’nt there, I hear the initial Telford crowd impression was a little flat, let’s remember that this is ‘the’ crowd that will spend over 100 quid on a 1/24th kit and not Auntie Maud looking to buy Johhny his 13th birthday present. I do hope the US market is 1. Impressed, 2. Cashed up and 3. Love their Hellcats just as much as their Corsairs. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

As I've said elsewhere, it doesn't float my boat, but only because it never carried an "A"- prefixed serial. I'm sure that Mr Airfix has done his homework and will sell squillions. I'm less than pleased that it wasn't a Fruitbat ...

I won't be buying one, as it's not a scale I do, but it looks like an impressive kit. I sincerely hope this sells well and Airfix will be able to scale down their new 1/48 Hunter and Spitfire XIV to 1/72. I would buy a bunch of those! 🙂

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Drift said:

You guys are wondering where to put a 1/24 Hellcat, I need to figure out where to put my 1/200 HMS Hood that's on it's way. 

No need to wonder, it (the Hellcat, not the floaty thing !) didn't seem to take up any more shelf  space than e.g. a 1:48 Mig 31.

Who knows, perhaps that was one of the factors in subject choice ?

Just saying, Mr Airfix, that a new tool 1:72 Vulcan will fit in that display case on your stand very nicely.... :)

Edited by IanHx

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

most of the affection here is for the Corsair. Personally I don't get it, it seems like kind of a random choice.

I'm clearly not Murrican, but the ones that I've had dealings with in the past have been nuts about either the P-38, P-47 and particularly the Corsair. I hope Airfix has picked a winner, but it does seem an odd choice.

47 minutes ago, Drift said:

You guys are wondering where to put a 1/24 Hellcat, I need to figure out where to put my 1/200 HMS Hood that's on it's way. 

Oh my word. See what you've done now? There I was thinking about my new 1/24 Hellcat and how it would look nice mounted on the wall going up the stairs and now I'm wondering if a 1/200 HMS Hood would be a better thing to put there.

That's modelling for you. 👍

21 hours ago, Stuart Wilson said:

Very nice, why can't they make cars that look like that now. Only ones that work all the time and don't rust like the originals.

I made a reasonable living dragging broken Fords and BL tat to garages, homes and pounds for a while. We need that sort of car now to generate real jobs, make people value their cars by not making short trips in them, the extra excitement to a long journey added by overloading a poorly maintained car and wondering how near you'd get to your holiday destination. Kids today don't know how lucky they are...... :D

• Haha 8

11 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

would you do an overall red F6F-5K or an engine grey and yellow with red trim F6F-5KD

Or something from Uruguay...

Yes, yes

& yes

11 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Edited by spaddad

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:02 AM, B_Bogus said:

As a regular non-contributor to even the least speculative posts, I'm reluctant to stoop to this level, but talk of 1/48 Hampdens and 1/24 Whirlwind MkIs does get my attention.

Nevertheless, my guess is a 1/24th Hellcat 

Or a 1/48th Beardmore Inflexible, the most attractive and underrated Golden Age bomber 😉

So what did I win? :happy:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3