Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

Now thats a left fielder.....and a suprise given I was certain it was the 1/72 big hitter that had been put back.....still possible it could be in next years cat though more likely its a telford 2019 announcement.

so airfix 2018 so far announcements and probable ones, still room for a few more new boxings, reboxings and a new tool or two 

1/24 

Hellcat

1/48

Hunter fg9/pr10???                    Blenheim IV????

Spitfire FRXIV 

1/72

Wellington II????

Edited by PhantomBigStu

1 hour ago, Wez said:

The Airfix 1/72nd Hellcat is soooo long in the tooth, I daresay we'll see a replacement within the next year or two, can't have all that research effort going to waste.

Shrewd move by Airfix, an FAA and French example appeal to me and it will helpfully sell bucket loads across the pond!

Another member a little confused

Airfix has not issued a modern tool 1/72 F6F-5 Hellcat

They issued the Wildcat F4F in 1/72 scale. Two different aircraft

5 minutes ago, thepureness said:

Another member a little confused

Airfix has not issued a modern tool 1/72 F6F-5 Hellcat

They issued the Wildcat F4F in 1/72 scale. Two different aircraft

No you are the one who is confused, read what I wrote, I am hoping that Airfix will put the research gleaned from the 1/24th kit into a 1/72nd kit to replace the venerable (being kind), current Airfix 1/72nd offering.

I'm well aware of the difference between a Wildcat and a Hellcat!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

On 10/9/2018 at 6:53 PM, Max Headroom said:

If it’s one of the ‘show off’ 1/24 scale, then a Spitfire IX, Hurricane II, or even an F6F may fit the bill.

Otherwise (and repeat ad infinitum)

TAH DAH!!!!!

23542914058_072b27cc84_b.jpg

The marking options are erm many fold.

Trevor Sea-Balliol

***coughs modesty***

Trevor 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Just now, Wez said:

No you are the one who is confused, read what I wrote, I am hoping that Airfix will put the research gleaned from the 1/24th kit into a 1/72nd kit to replace the venerable (being kind), current Airfix 1/72nd offering.

Are you referring to the 1/72 kit from the 1960s?

4 minutes ago, thepureness said:

Are you referring to the 1/72 kit from the 1960s?

As the poster wrote, "...soooo long in the tooth", that was my interpretation.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thepureness said:

I'm a little underwhelmed really, was hoping for something British :( 

Me too or at least a type not kitted before. How many different scales do we need Hellcats in?   :tired:

Edited by AMB
  • Like 1

Wow. As others have already said, "I didn't see that one coming".

Really happy that Airfix have continued the idea of highly detailed (with the rippled skin) 24th scale models. long may it continue.

I hope this one does really well for them and what an amazing job of keeping it secret.

The precious time I get for modelling tends to be on types I have a particular fondness for (never really thought about a Hellcat), but it's a nice rugged looking aircraft.

If I ever get past the Typhoon, Spit, Lightning, etc., I might get one, one day. Looks like plenty of weathering potential.

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh tomorrow.

Another "not for me, this time" comment - but significant all the same for Airfix.

Knocking the US market door, hopefully kicking it down.

An F6F-5 US Navy, so how long for an F6F-3 (can't see the rear windows are actually flashed over) and Fleet Air Arm?

Also they've now got a P&W R2800, in their arsenal - so how long a Corsair, Thunderbolt, or something else?

16 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Also they've now got a P&W R2800, in their arsenal - so how long a Corsair, Thunderbolt, or something else?

In that case please also Bearcat, P-61, Marauder, DC-6, Breguet Deux-Ponts and CH-37 Mojave in 1/24 scale for me!

Pretty long history for Double Wasp isn't it?

Edited by Dennis_C

18 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

TBH, I was expecting one of these two before the Hellcat.

Obviously, this kit will be followed up with an F6F-3/Hellcat I, but will they also include parts for the nightfighter -3N and -5N versions. I'd guess those would be relatively simple conversions for the aftermarket to do. Personally, I'm pretty excited about this release; will definitely get two to do USN and FAA versions.

It's funny as I was only rummaging through a Hasegawa 1/32 Hellcat box the other day, and thinking even in that scale, what a big aircraft it is. In 1/24, it's going to be huge! 

Top marks to Airfix for keeping that secret as well guarded as they did!

• Like 1

I would love to build one of these, however I am space restricted so the choice is made for me already. Good luck Airfix  with this and look forward to more smaller temptations in the future off the back of good sales hopefully. Needless to say , the chase to guess the subject of the big announcement has been fun and jolly good market research I shouldn't wonder.

Keith

Niiice ! A Grumman' s Cat from Hell !!! Unfortunately a car scale; but yes a Airfix don't make a 1/32. I have both Tiffys and it' s a nice kit. When Airfix can released a 1/48 or 1/72 when we have a nice kit from Eduard i hope in stressed skin surface (as you seen in 1/24)and folding wing option. When he missed it these details, he can't released Hellcat...Eduard is still good (and accurate with special parts for both version. But for car scale Hellcat - very well Airfix ! Perhaps - an Avanger or Wildcat as next kit ? Especialy Avanger was nice in this big scale and surface details...

• Like 1

A good choice for Airfix or so I'd guess.  From a sales perspective it should sell lots across the pond while also having sales appeal in the UK.  I hope the company does well on it.

From a purely personal point of view I am also quite pleased in that the Hellcat never really floated my boat despite the major role it played in the Pacific War.  I never really understood why as I like the Wildcat and Corsair.  Anyway quite pleased its not something I'd spent a bundle on as the WNW Lancaster and 1/32 Whirlwind will hit my pocket as well as the HK 1/32 UK Phantoms when they all arrive so I get to enjoy Airfixs progress without it hammering  away at my pocket - at least for now !

£119  ain't too bad for those that model in the big scale's about the same price as Tamiya 1/32 and Trumpeter's larger 1/32 kit's as some have said sub £100

should be with us after a while and it's the kind of kit you could spend six month's to a year building, personally I could spend at least a week on this one😉

• Haha 2