Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

If your need is that urgent will this do in the meantime?

25aa852d-a786-4c65-b0ca-3e82422050dc.png

Not sure if it is exactly 1/48, it may be 1/24.

1/1 to go with the rest of the Wildlife series.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:50 PM, Max Headroom said:

Something at the back of my mind tells

me that the IP owner of Concorde is actually Airbus.

I see that Boeing seem to have cornered the market for IP on long out of production types such as the P-51. Is this because they have the blueprints or is it because somehow they own “Mustang”. They can’t own P-51 as I assume that belongs to the USAF?

Trevor

22 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

There's a big difference between Intellectual Property (and associated names, trademarks, images etc) and a Design Authority. If copyrighted the name 'Mustang' or 'North American' requires licencing - the DA relates to the specific technical support and engineering information. 

The devil in me would love to know what the licencing rates are for a model kit from Boeing etc... :)

TT 

Boeing registered trademarks especially in the US and the EU (probably Japan too) for the names AND designations of all sorts of types by manufacturers they acquired over the years, including A-4 Skyhawk and P-51 Mustang. In order to be able to bloodsuck licencing fees from kit manufacturers, they had to do it for the "toy" category (but I think they also took a registration for P-51 Mustang and clothing). As they do not sell kits and toys (usually), any kit manufacturer could have claimed "non-usage" 5 years after the registration (in Europe at least), but then apparently there were enough willing to conclude a licence deal, and a licence deal counts as trademark use. 

IIRC it wasn't possible to trademark a government designation in the US up to a law amendmant in ca. 2006 - I remember there was an online petition available at HS to stop that law, unsuccessfully.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 4:42 PM, Nocoolname said:

I knew it!!! That 1/24 HMS Ark Royal was bang on the money!

By 'eck that's smart marketing. Buy the kit, travel down to Hornby Hobbies dockyard, build it up and sail it home. Should be able to get pretty close as it'll fit narrow gauge canals.......

By the time you get home you may find it being your sole possession post-divorce though.

• Haha 10

26 minutes ago, Col. said:

I wonder what Eduard will do with all their 48th scale Tempest kits when Airfix announce the 24th scale one? :hmmm: :lol: 

Easy, just box two 1/48 kits in one box, that'll mathematically make 1/24th won't it?? 

Well, it's all a moot point anyway as we all know it's gonna be a 1/72nd Herc. 

Cheers.. Dave (who'll be happy with either). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Morning Chaps :bye:

(Dusting off my opinion that's been sitting in the corner since last years Thread)

.... More 32nd scale Cars, More 48th Scale Armour :) 

Eye thenk ewwwe...

Returning opinion to corner until next year :) 

Mad Steve 

:poppy: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MAD STEVE said:

Morning Chaps :bye:

(Dusting off my opinion that's been sitting in the corner since last years Thread)

.... More 32nd scale Cars, More 48th Scale Armour :) 

Eye thenk ewwwe...

Returning opinion to corner until next year :) 

Mad Steve 

:poppy: 

With Scalectrix to share tooling cost more classic 1/32 cars could be a smart move, for both camps. However I doubt that Airfix are in a position to bet on that card yet.

48th armour is a (little) more likely IMHO. The early releases were very much poor relations to aircraft but they have improved markedly. I really think a WWI British rhomboid would go down pretty well. Mk.V tanks got around a fair bit and could be backdated with a bit of thoughtful design and thinned out areas to enable various bits to be removed. The casual buyer won't care what mark it is after all.

After-market could handle the conversions enabling Airfix to maximise sales at negligible cost to themselves, having a point of contact for approved manufacturers to contact to co-ordinate after-market ranges for example. It's all slab sides and plates with no visible suspension so the parts count would be low even with link and length tracks. I think the Centenary would give a boost to early sales for a quicker return on investment and it would be a steady seller with a bit of targetted marketing. Make the first tank to be built (sic) your first model! Starter set with several different decal options and a couple of colours and Welcome to Airfix young adult. 

Why several decal options? A purchaser will be able to buy siblings the same kit and point out that they can be finished differently. Others will apply every decal to one vehicle. They'll have fun.

• Like 1

It's not going to happen but I wish it would be a completely new tool 1/48 DH.88 Comet and with decals for Grosvenor House, Black Magic and the BRG one too.

A Hawker Hart family of kits wouldn't go amiss either and I'm not fussy, 1/72 or 1/48 will do nicely.

Oh and I'd also like to win the lottery and for Catherine Zeta-Jones to ring me up and say she's had enough of that Douglas bloke and would I mind taking her out for a spot of dinner too. The last one might rub the missus up the wrong way but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Army_Air_Force said:

The big question is, will there be more people cheering; or more dragging their feet along the ground muttering "Who would want one of those?"

Probably about even I guess! One thing guaranteed though, the ones cheering will definitely be the ones " who would want one of those"!😂

Allan

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

It's not going to happen but I wish it would be a completely new tool 1/48 DH.88 Comet and with decals for Grosvenor House, Black Magic and the BRG one too.

A Hawker Hart family of kits wouldn't go amiss either and I'm not fussy, 1/72 or 1/48 will do nicely.

Oh and I'd also like to win the lottery and for Catherine Zeta-Jones to ring me up and say she's had enough of that Douglas bloke and would I mind taking her out for a spot of dinner too. The last one might rub the missus up the wrong way but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

Having just invested in the Amodel Hart, Avis Audax and AZ Hind this will almost certainly now happen! If Matador Models would actually bank my flipping cheque and send me a Hucks Starter I'd be a happy man, but they havent so come SMW I shall be remonstrating with their stallholder. There will be gestures and everything. 

TT

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Easy, just box two 1/48 kits in one box, that'll mathematically make 1/24th won't it?? 

Well, it's all a moot point anyway as we all know it's gonna be a 1/72nd Herc. 

Cheers.. Dave (who'll be happy with either). 

No, you have to double up the dimensions in 3 directions i.e LxHxW therefore you need 2 kits in each dimention = which means 6 kits😂

7 hours ago, SleeperService said:

With Scalectrix to share tooling cost more classic 1/32 cars could be a smart move, for both camps. However I doubt that Airfix are in a position to bet on that card yet.

48th armour is a (little) more likely IMHO. The early releases were very much poor relations to aircraft but they have improved markedly. I really think a WWI British rhomboid would go down pretty well. Mk.V tanks got around a fair bit and could be backdated with a bit of thoughtful design and thinned out areas to enable various bits to be removed. The casual buyer won't care what mark it is after all.

After-market could handle the conversions enabling Airfix to maximise sales at negligible cost to themselves, having a point of contact for approved manufacturers to contact to co-ordinate after-market ranges for example. It's all slab sides and plates with no visible suspension so the parts count would be low even with link and length tracks. I think the Centenary would give a boost to early sales for a quicker return on investment and it would be a steady seller with a bit of targetted marketing. Make the first tank to be built (sic) your first model! Starter set with several different decal options and a couple of colours and Welcome to Airfix young adult. 

Why several decal options? A purchaser will be able to buy siblings the same kit and point out that they can be finished differently. Others will apply every decal to one vehicle. They'll have fun.

That would be great, but of course we would need some figures to go with it, tank crew, infantry, and, since we're going down that route, we may as well have some artillery as well.  Could be a big earner for Airfix!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Radpoe Spitfire said:

No, you have to double up the dimensions in 3 directions i.e LxHxW therefore you need 2 kits in each dimention = which means 6 kits😂

2x2x2 = 8....:sorry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Radpoe Spitfire said:

Doh....... it was 1996 when I last did maths......schoolboy error😳😩

And that's on the plus side. :whistle:

Is it a multi pack ??:unsure:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

=23

For some inexplicable reason, when I try to write a reply - it leaves both my last and the quote - which remains whether I want it or not😒.

It's been one of those days. Thank goodness it's Telford 2018 tomorrow🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗yayyyy!!!! 

Now I still think it's gonna be a 1/24th Meteor😂