Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

3 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Aye! That's a good drop of beer. Haven't tried the Lancaster beer yet. Must give it a go.

Steve

I may have a couple of bottles of Lancaster Bomber in the cupboard as we write, it really is a nice beer.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

I may have a couple of bottles of Lancaster Bomber in the cupboard as we write, it really is a nice beer.

Thanks for the heads up. My local Sainsbury's stock it. I may buy a bottle or two...or a whole squadron!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The ugly French ones are the best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breguet_Deux-Ponts

See! That's lush. Actually, it's quite pretty really. I had things like this is mind;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAB_AB-20

I mean, "Ewwwww!"....but strangely "Mmmmmm" at the same time 🤣

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 2

If one was looking for an accurate Concorde, the Airfix/Heller 1/72 monstrosity would be in the other direction,  Dick Ward had to redesign the decals to fit as he made the error of basing his original work on accurate plans.

BAE Systems has just recovered the original prototype drawings to its archive at Farnborough - approximately 8 tons of Mylar representing 200,000+ drawings which has been catalogued by a team of volunteers from Brooklands, Duxford, Yeovilton and Le Bourget.  We also have a production drawing set on microfiche.

I would therefore dispute the contention that there is a lack of line drawings of this iconic airframe.....

There is nothing I would like better than to have an accurate representation in plastic - at either scale.

Howard Mason, Heritage Manager, BAE Systems

• Like 11

I never understood why manufacturers could get model kits of Concorde SO wrong.

What other treasures lurk in the archives of BAE and other organisations around the globe waiting to be found?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ho590hm said:

If one was looking for an accurate Concorde, the Airfix/Heller 1/72 monstrosity would be in the other direction,  Dick Ward had to redesign the decals to fit as he made the error of basing his original work on accurate plans.

BAE Systems has just recovered the original prototype drawings to its archive at Farnborough - approximately 8 tons of Mylar representing 200,000+ drawings which has been catalogued by a team of volunteers from Brooklands, Duxford, Yeovilton and Le Bourget.  We also have a production drawing set on microfiche.

I would therefore dispute the contention that there is a lack of line drawings of this iconic airframe.....

There is nothing I would like better than to have an accurate representation in plastic - at either scale.

Thanks for sharing. Glad that BAe have a Heritage manager.

This means it isn't a Concorde btw, as logically Mr Mason would have been sworn to secrecy. 

7 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Aye! That's a good drop of beer. Haven't tried the Lancaster beer yet. Must give it a go.

Steve

It's a fine ale Steve! Try it. You won't be disappointed!😂

Allan!

7 hours ago, Plasto said:

Ah middle aged blokes and their plastic habits....

By gad sir! I'd object strenuously to the term "middle aged" !! I'm 60 so, surely that's me well past it? - middle age that is! 😂😂

Allan

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, fightersweep said:

See! That's lush. Actually, it's quite pretty really. I had things like this is mind;

You aren't like most people, are you?

• Haha 7

22 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

You aren't like most people, are you?

Proudly unconventional and a bit fruit loop.....which is why my psychiatrist recommended that I come here for my daily therapy. :banghead::elephant::drunk: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

One week and two and two and a half  hours to go before some of us are:

a) ecstatic to the point of near orgasm over the wonderful new release from Airfix. 

b) bitterly disappointed that Airfix are producing a new kit in the wrong scale, of the wrong subject and the Fairey Fruitbat would have been best selling kit of all time. 

c) relief that the new kit is not tempting enough to go into the ever increasingly large stash. 

I am still hoping that they will announce that the Airfix Vintage range will have the SRN1, that would go to the top of my to build pile when released. I would be happy and it would not cost an arm or leg (I have gone through life with low expectations and see no reasons to change now.)

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

By gad sir! I'd object strenuously to the term "middle aged" !! I'm 60 so, surely that's me well past it? - middle age that is! 😂😂

Allan

That depends on how long you intend to live, Sir.

I am past 50 myself but see no reason why I can't carry on upsetting people for another 50 at least.

I am imortal (so far)

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

17 minutes ago, depressed lemur said:

That depends on how long you intend to live, Sir.

I am past 50 myself but see no reason why I can't carry on upsetting people for another 50 at least.

I am imortal (so far)

:lol::lol:. How long I intend and, how long I actually get are unfortunately two entirely different things! All I can say with certainty is that I intend to grow old(er) (dis)gracefully!! Much more fun that way!

Allan

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Well, there's ugly and, there's UGLEEEEEEE!! Yuk! Where can I get one!?:lol:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The ugly French ones are the best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breguet_Deux-Ponts

:sick: That really is fugly! Although it does prove the 747 was nothing new with it's upper deck seating. Wonder if the cool kids sat in the back seats upstairs... :hmmm: 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Well, there's ugly and, there's UGLEEEEEEE!! Yuk! Where can I get one!?:lol:

Allan

Telford. When it turns out that this will be the big Airfix announcement! 🤣

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Mr T said:

a) ecstatic to the point of near orgasm over the wonderful new release from Airfix. 

b) bitterly disappointed that Airfix are producing a new kit in the wrong scale, of the wrong subject and the Fairey Fruitbat would have been best selling kit of all time. 

c) relief that the new kit is not tempting enough to go into the ever increasingly large stash. 

I am still hoping that they will announce that the Airfix Vintage range will have the SRN1, that would go to the top of my to build pile when released. I would be happy and it would not cost an arm or leg (I have gone through life with low expectations and see no reasons to change now.)

d) take it as it is and live their life as always :)

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, Mr T said:

You are all too right about the Fairy Fruitbat.

- It's Iconic

- No line up of British Planes is complete without it.

- Modellers are crying out for it

- I know it would sell

Worse still, 1st April was its 72nd anniversary: by not releasing a 1/72 kit then, Airfix certainly missed a trick.

Edited by Denford
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Mr T said:

I’m hoping it’s ‘c’ unless of course the announcement is a Beverley in which case it will be ‘a’ with knobs on.

• Haha 2

On 03/11/2018 at 00:50, ho590hm said:

Well - I could not find any line drawing when I searched for one two years ago. Sure there will be drawings somewhere - but they are not easy to be found. At least not for me 🙂 (in books, the internet, asking around). I suppose you could make many people happy with a nice coffe table size Concorde book with line drawings and such. No need for long text on the subject - just the technical drawings.