Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

17 hours ago, RichG said:

…... I vaugely recall when this was first reported it was a general reference about making a research trip to Seattle...  I mention this because McChord Air Museum is only about 40 miles from Seattle and I understand there they have a C-130E Hercules under restoration  - Lots of space there to set up your LIDAR with great access and it isn't as if this one is going anywhere... just saying... 

This is NOT my area of expertise, but what is 'special' about a C-130E that warrants a trip of that distance?

Aren't there enough examples in UK and Europe, or am I missing something?

• Like 2

A Vulcan should / could fit the bill, but if reports that Airfix have only just started their fieldwork on this are correct, would unfortunately seem to rule out an imminent announcement.

Airfix did a ton of research for the 1/72 Corgi die-cast model. Surely that would still be relevant.

I'm intrigued by the rumours  of a large subject of LIDAR in the US, but was thinking has the location been confirmed as the Museum of Flight? 

The Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville, Oregon is not THAT far from Seattle. Maybe Airfix went there?

In which case, I know what the new Airfix kit is:

screen-shot-2011-06-30-at-3.49.47-pm.png

https://www.evergreenmuseum.org/the-spruce-goose

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I mention this because McChord Air Museum is only about 40 miles from Seattle and I understand there they have a C-130E Hercules under restoration

McChord has a PBY Catalina. That seems a much more likely Airfix subject:

SA-10A%2043-43847%20TOW%20E%20RAMP_DSC03

• Like 3

It will never happen but given I suspect they have all the required info already would a 1/24 Blenheim be much bigger than their Mossie?

meantime I did wonder about a 1/48 Wellington.  I know Trumpy do 2 but their wings don't exactly come with universal acclaim

1 hour ago, Denford said:

This is NOT my area of expertise, but what is 'special' about a C-130E that warrants a trip of that distance?

Aren't there enough examples in UK and Europe, or am I missing something?

Possibly not... If you are after a C-130 "classic" from what I can establish there are surprisingly few preserved / accessible examples in the UK or Europe at all (one in the UK - XV202 at Cosford but that's a stretched CMk3) and one in Norway at the Air Force museum at Oslo. I would imagine - but don't know - that there are quite a few issues with Airfix setting out to LIDAR operational military aircraft - in addition to crawling over them looking in nooks and crannies etc. And even the most supportive Station / Base Commander having given their permission may require these assets to be tasked at short notice. 

Perhaps the US example was more accessible for the technology Airfix use (on an aircraft that size) and if reports are correct Airfix clearly decided to go that distance for some reason - maybe there was more than one bird to "kill" 🙂

Edited by RichG

39 minutes ago, Julien said:

In 1/24 !

That's a 4 metre wingspan😲 I'd need to save up just for the Alclad to paint it let alone the model ( or the extension on my house for it ).

Edited by Tbolt
  • Haha 1

Even in 1/144, the Spruce Goose has a 68cm wingspan--a wee bit bigger than a 1/72 C-141 or 1/48 Halifax. AFAIK, there's only a 1/200 Spruce Goose.

8 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I'd never buy a model that was twice as big as me.  Anyway just think of all the reinforcement needed for the shelf of doom to take the weight 😁

It may be in several pieces on the shelf o' doom, reducing the per-shelf loading... :whistle:

• Like 2

On 10/26/2018 at 4:25 PM, Meatbox8 said:

If it the announcement was going to be on the Sunday it would be the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month exactly 100 years later in which case my bet would have been a 1/24th scale Camel.  However it isn't so it wasn't.

Mmmm.

Quote from Syd Wise Canadian Airmen and the First World War, pp.570-71

An American who had flown with 46 Squadron  recalled, forty-three years later, his unit's last operation on 10 November:
We went out on a squadron sweep of trench strafing, and I might say that trench strafing was about the bloodiest work we had to do. We found a long straight road filled with retreating German supply trains. We saw horse drawn artillery, motor trucks, infantry and other military equipment of one kind or another. We formed a big circle and dropped our 25-lb bombs. When we got through with that road it was one unbelievable scene of chaos, with dead horses, lorries and dead soldiers all over the road. As I went down the last time to use up what was left of my ammunition and bombs, the two planes in front of me collided. In one of them was a chap by the name of Dowler, who had been a school teacher in Calgary. We had joined up the same day in Canada, but he came to the squadron later than I did. He was a damned good pilot

Second Lieutenant George Emerson Dowler and the pilot of the machine which collided with him on 10 November appear to be the last RAF flyers to have been killed in action during the First World War. On the same day 84 Squadron's Lieutenant F.H. Taylor of Toronto was credited with bringing down an enemy machine, scoring the last victory of the war to be recorded in the RAF communiques.

So 11am on 10 November wouldn't necessarily be a bad time to launch either a Camel (46 Sqn) or an SE 5a (84 Sqn)...

Edited by XV107
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

AFAIK, there's only a 1/200 Spruce Goose.

AModel did a 1/72 scale kit in their AMonster series. It's not a true plastic model though as the larger pieces are fiberglass and have to be glued with epoxy or CA.

• Like 1

It is a truly awesome sight - it is HUMONGOUS! It's size is matched only by the enormous separate admission fee should you wish to look inside.....

The DC-3 and B-17 are hardly small aircraft, but the Spruce Goose dwarfs them. 

spruce-goose

IMG_2176

Edited by Paul Bradley
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Gene K said:

I'd like to see a corrected 1/72 British Phantom!

Gene K

Me too - in 1:48 scale 😄

After Revell seems to bring back the Hasegawa tooloing next year it would be just another of Murphys laws if Airfix would bring an upscaled Phantom.

2 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Me too - in 1:48 scale 😄

After Revell seems to bring back the Hasegawa tooloing next year it would be just another of Murphys laws if Airfix would bring an upscaled Phantom.

Weren’t HK Models going to do a Brit Phantom in 1/32? That’s gone awfully quiet.....

Trevor 

Hi

hopefully if they did lidar in the US , they sneeked over the border to lidar the hampden nr vancouver, it could help with data that could be collected from the UK ones

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

hopefully if they did lidar in the US , they sneeked over the border to lidar the hampden nr vancouver, it could help with data that could be collected from the UK ones

cheers

jerry 

I've seen the Hampden at the museum near Vancouver. Though its complete there is a lot missing and some modern structure to hold it together after some heavy snowfall that broke a wing off!  If the LIDAR was used it on it, it could pick up the anomalies and passed onto the kit if not picked up soon enough.

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, RichG said:

Possibly not... If you are after a C-130 "classic" from what I can establish there are surprisingly few preserved / accessible examples in the UK or Europe at all (one in the UK - XV202 at Cosford but that's a stretched CMk3) and one in Norway at the Air Force museum at Oslo. I would imagine - but don't know - that there are quite a few issues with Airfix setting out to LIDAR operational military aircraft - in addition to crawling over them looking in nooks and crannies etc. And even the most supportive Station / Base Commander having given their permission may require these assets to be tasked at short notice. 

Perhaps the US example was more accessible for the technology Airfix use (on an aircraft that size) and if reports are correct Airfix clearly decided to go that distance for some reason - maybe there was more than one bird to "kill" 🙂

Didn't Airfix recently visit Norway?  Subject unspecified, of course, but If they were tooling Hercules that's one less reason for which to go to Seattle.

The reason for the visit there still remains a mystery and of course there's no saying that it is the subject of the 'big announcement',

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

I've seen the Hampden at the museum near Vancouver. Though its complete there is a lot missing and some modern structure to hold it together after some heavy snowfall that broke a wing off!  If the LIDAR was used it on it, it could pick up the anomalies and passed onto the kit if not picked up soon enough.

Similar with the A-4 Skyhawk, LIDAR or no LIDAR.  But I'd like to think Airfix are wise to that danger now.  Simon Owen was a bit apologetic about the Airfix 1/72 "Blenheim/Bolingbroke".

If we are talking about WWII twin engines a good choice for BIG would be a 1/24 scale B-25.  Accurate Minatures/Academy must have sold a million of their 1/48 kits so it is a popular subject and has an enormous range of versions and markings, including those in RAF service.