Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

3 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

You LIGHTWEIGHT! You USE instructions?

Anyway, you must be thinking of MFI :evil_laugh:

They are very good for putting under a corner to stop it wobbling :smartass: 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Without wanting to say too much, this could be a result of wanting to support a new Airfix tooling announcement which may or may not be taking place at 11am on Saturday 10th November

Factor in the British ability to seize defeat from the jaws of victory what might be described as a tooling announcement could stretch to -

Licensing the use of some of the former Revell US toolings and for their first release in a far more expensive Airfix box we could have either of the 1/48 Ventura kits that were selling in Home Bargains last month for 9.99.

and/or

With the impending political changes planned for next year moving everything Airfix related including tooling to mainland Europe.

3 minutes ago, Des said:

With the impending political changes planned for next year moving everything Airfix related including tooling to mainland Europe.

Well that will mean the kits taking a much shorter boat journey than they do currently.

• Like 2

oh. . . . oh, Please Miss, Please Miss!! Me! Me!

I know what its going to be . . . .

Airfix are reintroducing Fred the bowler hatted flour shaker! In scales from 1/600 up to 1/8

says Fred, aged  ~~ not telling, so there!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

oh. . . . oh, Please Miss, Please Miss!! Me! Me!

I know what its going to be . . . .

Airfix are reintroducing Fred the bowler hatted flour shaker! In scales from 1/600 up to 1/8

says Fred, aged  ~~ not telling, so there!

Goes to prove ….. graded kits make finer models.  You cannot beat a bit of Airfix Home Pride. :bell:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Scott_ said:

Given the success of the 1/48 Walrus, and possible due to strong pre orders for the Blenheim, could we be due another slightly left of mainstream subject in 1/48 ?

Avro-Anson-1024x824-678x381.jpg

Along with the Anson there are still a number of late 1930s British aircraft that are crying out for decent, affordable mainstream toolings in either scale:

Fairey Battle

DH Dragon Rapide

Miles Magister

Lockheed Hudson (British enough)

Fairey Fulmar

Airspeed Oxford

Handley Page Hampden

Vickers Wellesley

Westland Lysander

Blackburn Roc/Skua

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Scott_ said:

Given the success of the 1/48 Walrus, and possible due to strong pre orders for the Blenheim, could we be due another slightly left of mainstream subject in 1/48 ?

Avro-Anson-1024x824-678x381.jpg

I would buy that in 1.48 

14 minutes ago, Britman said:

Oh yes please! But not with those wings.

Keith. 

??? Explain please. :undecided:

Dick

It's Sunday evening …. brain not fully functioning.:worthy:

3 hours ago, Britman said:

Oh yes please! But not with those wings.

Keith. 

Anson wings - an interesting subject. The faithful Annie has long been a favorite, especially the early version with the more sloped windscreen. I had every intention of modelling one when the Special Hobby (1/72 early) kit finally came out, but I was stopped in my tracks by the extensive criticism of the wing surface detail. Everyone seemed to agree that SH’s surface detail was wrong but that is where the agreement stopped. There was some consensus that the wings were of wooden construction that was covered with fabric but none on how that would be reflected in surface detail.

Recently I had an opportunity to view a preserved example of the a real Anson at the Canadian aviation museum in Ottawa (at this moment I can’t recall the proper name of the place- a shame since it is a marvelous place with an amazingly diverse collection).

Anyway, the Anson’s wing had virtually no surface detail at all! The only thing visible on the completely smooth upper wing was a barely visible “pinked edge” of fabric that stretched from wing root to tip along what appeared to be the rear spar line, a detail far too faint to be seen in 1/72 scale. Seems that the wing’s costrution is irrelevant to 1/72 modelling since it is not reflected at all in the upper surface appearance which is utterly without detail.

Once visited Duxford’s example but I was engrossed by interior detail and failed to note the upper wing surface detail. Could it possibly be different from the Canadian example?

• Thanks 1

Tend to think the "big" in "BIG new tooling announcement" probably relates to size of the subject (and possibly importance too) rather than scale and I think of big kits meaning large 1/72 subjects. A Vulcan should / could fit the bill, but if reports that Airfix have only just started their fieldwork on this are correct, would unfortunately seem to rule out an imminent announcement.  I generalise but most Airfix 1/48 subjects seem to be of a similar size so I doubt they would be accorded the title BIG (unless of course its Lancaster size... nice). Like others  I'm intrigued by the rumours  of a large subject of LIDAR in the US, but was thinking has the location been confirmed as the Museum of Flight? I vaugely recall when this was first reported it was a general reference about making a research trip to Seattle...  I mention this because McChord Air Museum is only about 40 miles from Seattle and I understand there they have a C-130E Hercules under restoration  - Lots of space there to set up your LIDAR with great access and it isn't as if this one is going anywhere... just saying... 

:poo:

Rich

PS That paint job is not too shabby either :wub: even if my preference is a Dark Earth/Light Stone/ Black combo with RAF Air Support Command titles - perhaps I could get 2! 

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

It's been restored with a tin wing to meet safety regs, but to be historically accurate should have a wooden wing.

When I build a 1/48 Anson it'll be as MH120/ZK-RRA, which means I need that wing for it to be accurate!

• Like 1

At the end of all of this and once we know what the new Airfix product announcement is and assuming at least one of us has gotten it right, that person is going to have the pleasure of coming back on and saying 'na na na na na na...I told you so' and then promptly make rude gestures to all the rest of us who were wildly off the mark.

Anyway while were are on the subject of being wildly off the mark...I hope...

...is there any chance the Bengal Lancer might be getting a 21st century makeover?

Just a thought

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gordon J said:

...is there any chance the Bengal Lancer might be getting a 21st century makeover?

So I think that would have to be a T-72 Tank... but question is what scale - would that be 1/12 scale or 54mm?🤔

(In the 21st century, 1st Bengal Lancers - now 1st Horse (Skinner's Horse) - is a regiment of the Indian Army Armoured Corps - converted in 1979 with the T-72)

Rich

• Like 1
  • Haha 1