Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

On 10/13/2018 at 4:25 AM, Nick Belbin said:

The big announcement will be that the new 1/48 Spitfire XIV will also be done in 1/24. And 1/72. And 1/144.

Response one: Oh dear, that'll be FOUR new kits I have to buy!

Response two: Nuts, I want one in 1/32.

General (facetious) response to such threads: I just hope it isn't something somebody else desperately wants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 10/12/2018 at 3:40 AM, trickydicky210 said:

A few things were ruled out such as a B29 & B52, 

So you're saying there's a chance of a B-47, of which there is also an example at the MofF.

• Haha 2

On 12/10/2018 at 00:32, Radpoe Spitfire said:

Next year is the 75th anniversary of the Meteor entering service with 616 sqn🤔............. ....mmmmm 24th........Mk1.................🤔

OK - I'm just saying😁

Do I get a prize if I'm right?🤗🤗

My life would be complete!

• Haha 1

On 10/13/2018 at 10:25 AM, Nick Belbin said:

The big announcement will be that the new 1/48 Spitfire XIV will also be done in 1/24. And 1/72. And 1/144.

Just sayin’ . . .

1/24 you say? I will be all over that.

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:25, Nick Belbin said:

Just sayin’ . . .

I'd cope: would make a marvellous contrast with the venerable Mk.1.

If Airfix thought there was a market for a 1/48 Walrus then surely there is room in the marketplace for either a long tailed 1/48 P40-F, a 1/48 Lockheed Hudson or even a 1/48 Beaufort!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gordon J said:

If Airfix thought there was a market for a 1/48 Walrus then surely there is room in the marketplace for either a long tailed 1/48 P40-F, a 1/48 Lockheed Hudson or even a 1/48 Beaufort!

Hudson! But don’t use the RAFM example as it’s very non standard (see my photos in the Walkaround for an explanation)

Trevor

If they do a Hudson will it be good upstairs and down stairs ???

Ps

Trevor you are letting the side down 

It will be a Sea Balliol and a Gannet. :bleh:

• Haha 4

I think its worth mentioning a couple of points here to which Airfix have previously stated when speculating about new tool kits:

1. They wont make 1/32 aircraft - there are others who do that
2. They will only produce kits if a real example exists or if there are accurate manufacturer drawings available.

Now the following is my speculation:

I would guess if its a 1/24 aircraft, Airfix would want to position themselves so that its unlikely to be available elsewhere i.e Trumpeter do a 1/24 Zero & Tamiya do a 1/32 one, so they wont have a unique product if they make a 1/24 zero

So if you take out the 1/32 Trumpy, Revell, Tamiya, Kittyhawk, Wingnut kits (ignoring multi-media and resin such as special hobby, Fly, Silver wings, as you arent comparing apples with apples), then kit subjects such as Gloster Gladiator, Spit Mk1, Defiant, look more plausible.

I suppose you could also mark down kits that are old tool such as the matchbox/revell Venom & lysander, so they could count as speculatives

I would imagine anything that attracts a licence fee, i.e a BAE or boeing product would be overlooked.

If its not 1/24, 2019 is 50 years since Concorde enetered service and i wouldnt be surprised to see a new tool, even if its not the big announcement.

Anyway here ends my speculation (for now)

Rich

So a 1/48 Concorde then, with a 1/72 Vulcan.... not so daft as it seems, both are well known (and loved) by the public....

However in recent years Airfix have co-operated closely with the airworthy historic boys and event include the restored aircraft schemes as decals - and have past ties to ARCO for example...so a Lizzie might be on the cards - however as per the poster above there is the HAC day..... a 1/24 Hawker Fury biplane with follow on Nimrod anyone.

I have just gone weak at the knees....

TT

• Like 2

A 1/24th scale Gloster Gladiator would be nice, a Hawker Fury lovely, a Nimrod though... :wub:  :pray:  and since this thread is all about baseless speculation how about a 1/24th scale Supermarine S.6B? :daydream:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bhouse said:

Now you're talking!

That would be a 'bench-clearer' for me. Everything would get put to one side the day it came home :wub: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

A 1/24th scale Gloster Gladiator would be nice, a Hawker Fury lovely, a Nimrod though... :wub:  :pray:  and since this thread is all about baseless speculation how about a 1/24th scale Supermarine S.6B? :daydream:

Don't wish to be greedy, but could I have all of those in 1/24 please? (Oh! And the Spit XIV) Ta muchly!

Edit! Demon, Hind and Hart as well please!

Edited by fightersweep
Sheer greed!
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Don't wish to be greedy, but could I have all of those in 1/24 please? (Oh! And the Spit XIV) Ta muchly!

Oh yes please!

46 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

And I bet you want 'em now, dontcha?  :D      

To be honest, I think a multiversion Hart kit would be a good long term investment.  However, I think it's more likely in 1/48. 

And yes, I'd like it now, please!   :lol: 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

And I bet you want 'em now, dontcha?  :D      

To be honest, I think a multiversion Hart kit would be a good long term investment.  However, I think it's more likely in 1/48. 

And yes, I'd like it now, please!   :lol: 

I'm willing to wait until 11th November, although now would be nice, so if it does come as a multi-version kit to cover Hart, Hind, Osprey (with floats of course), Demon then I suppose 48th will be better for space concerns.

I think it's worth remembering that the last few 1/24 releases went—Mosquito, Typhoon, Mosquito, Typhoon. Anyone see a pattern there? Airfix I believe have always said they were going to do a pure Bomber Mosquito, so I would have said that it's a 50% chance. If not, then  Gladiator (also one of the original Superkits listed I think?), Defiant is a possibility, much as I would like a Camel I think there are too many of similar and larger scales around. Tiger Moth would be good and could tie in with the RAF centenary well. But who really knows?

Good fun.

Steve

Hmm, with the Museum of Flight rumour - if they went over there to LIDAR something it must be something they can't get access too close by I guess - so surely that would rule out the SR71, B52, Comet, Concorde etc - all of which are available in the UK - same goes for a P-47 - where as P-38 wise in Europe there is the Red Bull P-38 (maybe given their previous tie ups with Revell they couldnt LIDAR that) in Austria...

On the basis it would be blooming expensive to send staff and kit to the States when they can do the same job closer one assumes it must have been a machine they couldnt LIDAR in Europe???

TT

• Like 2