Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

From Today's workbench

We know that many of you will be wondering if we will me announcing any new models at this year’s show, even though we have just brought you news of our fantastic Spitfire FR Mk.XIV kit. Well, even though this information is under strict embargo at present, if you are at the show at 11.00am on Saturday 10th November, you might want to make your way to the Airfix stand, as we will be unveiling a BIG new tooling announcement at that time.  For those who will not be at the show, please keep an eye on the Airfix website and social media channels, as we will be bringing you all the important details as they happen and a delayed (by one day) edition of Workbench will feature more detailed information regarding whatever we will be revealing at the show. This is always an extremely exciting time of year and we are really looking forward to bringing you details of what we think will be an incredibly popular new tooling announcement.

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/a-flight-of-airfix-hawker-features

(...) With the 2018 Scale ModelWorld show now only a few weeks away, we can all begin to get a little excited about this modelling extravaganza and the opportunity to see all the latest developments in our beloved hobby. The Airfix team have been putting the finishing touches to our plans for the show and we will have a large team in attendance on both Saturday and Sunday, with a display stand full of Airfix goodies for your delectation. As usual, we will have plenty of model samples and first kit builds on display and the team will be on hand to answer any questions you may have about our current and future model ranges (although please don’t ask about projects too far in advance). If you are making the trip to Telford, please do drop by and say hello and don’t forget to mention that you are a Workbench blog reader when speaking to the team – it will be nice to hear from the people who have helped to establish our blog as the most popular across the various Hornby websites, over the past four years.

We know that many of you will be wondering if we will me announcing any new models at this year’s show, even though we have just brought you news of our fantastic Spitfire FR Mk.XIV kit. Well, even though this information is under strict embargo at present, if you are at the show at 11.00am on Saturday 10th November, you might want to make your way to the Airfix stand, as we will be unveiling a BIG new tooling announcement at that time. For those who will not be at the show, please keep an eye on the Airfix website and social media channels, as we will be bringing you all the important details as they happen and a delayed (by one day) edition of Workbench will feature more detailed information regarding whatever we will be revealing at the show. This is always an extremely exciting time of year and we are really looking forward to bringing you details of what we think will be an incredibly popular new tooling announcement. (...)

Or a 1/48th kit of a big aircraft... Like one of the V bombers... In mean the most famous one. 🤞

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

24 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

One persistent rumour I have heard is a larger scale Lysander

If it were a 1/24 Lysander, that would be very, very nice!...but 1/48 would make more sense. Think the law says that the 1/24 releases have to be fighters or fighter bombers....ok, dive bombers too! 🙂

Edited by fightersweep

58 minutes ago, IanC said:

There's a PBY Catalina hanging above it...

Ooh! That would make sense; plenty options for future releases, replaces an old kit they've previously done, a large subject in every sense. Good shout :D 

45 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

One persistent rumour I have heard is a larger scale Lysander

A 48th scale Lysander would be interesting but somehow I'm feeling it's more likely to appear in 72nd although no idea why I think this. In 24th, however, :hmmm:

5 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Airfix are planning to make a product announcement on their stand at 11:00 on Saturday morning."

https://ipmsuk.org/ipms-scale-modelworld/about-scale-modelworld/

I don't think the Airfix club counts as a product

But their website and email announcements are so full of badly-used marketing-speak it could well be referring to the club, a new brand of tea in the canteen or a change of company car for the CEO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Have to agree with @bhouseon this count. Whoever writes the notes for Airfix’s product releases and the monthly club updates (or whatever they are called) is a shocking writer. The notes, in my view, are far far too long and full of woffle, fluff and marketing blah. Less words and more piccies please Mr Airfix.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Have to agree with house on this count. Whoever writes the notes for Airfixs product releases and the monthly club updates (or whatever they are called) is a shocking writer. The notes, in my view, are far far too long and full of woffle, fluff and marketing blah. Less words and more pixies please Mr Airfix.

If I were cynical which of course I'm not,  :whistle: I'd think they are written by the same people who write speeches for politicians! You know the sort. More fudge and waffle than you'd find in a confectioners. Totally devoid of any inconvenient things like "facts" that they might be accountable for AND, very good at saying a great deal while actually telling you nothing!

Allan

• Like 4

If it were to be a 1/24 Lysander the wing/strut assembly would make for an interesting modelling exercise

A 1/24 Hellcat would be nice, as would a Hind (Hawker!!) and its siblings.....

Trevor

4 hours ago, bhouse said:

But their website and email announcements are so full of badly-used marketing-speak it could well be referring to the club, a new brand of tea in the canteen or a change of company car for the CEO.

But today's Airfix Workbench is less ambiguous... "at 11.00am on Saturday 10th November, you might want to make your way to the Airfix stand, as we will be unveiling a BIG new tooling announcement at that time."  I think I would conclude that's referring to a new kit - the word "BIG" is more open to interpretation - could be 1/48 of a big plane, 1/24 of a small plane or even 1/350 of a ship (big or small... 🙂 ) 

Rich

I’d be happy with a Lysander in any scale that allowed the modeller to build it with all the flaps and slats deployed. Everything in just looks wrong for a Lizzie on the ground.

As for the writing style of the Hornby group internet posts, maybe they should be given a word count limit. I’ve recently been involved with the writing of museum exhibit captions, it’s been an interesting challenge describing aircraft in 80 words or less. You certainly have to shed the waffle.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Col. said:

...and what is the camera pointed at? 'Cause it certainly isn't the 262.

If you look at the rails the camera was being rolled back and forth under the wing.

It was moved several times during the day to photograph the entire underneath of the aircraft.

Presumably they have to photograph the aircraft as well to pick up the detail.

Just playing devils advocate

9 hours ago, camper1 said:

Could it be this in 1/24 scale

Elb8IfH.jpg

58 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Could be the Revell guys for their big 262 - it's not LIDAR

I see a camera dolly and track but no sound technician so that leads me to believe that's a film crew making stock footage for a publicity shoot or news story. Have worked with these kinds of crews lots of times. Would surprise me if it's anything modelling related.

Jay

• Like 1

My two pennorth, a BIG new tooling announcement can only mean one thing - 1/24 Defiant.  Why not, they've produced one in 1/72 and 1/48, so 1/24 is a logical progression.   Just let Airfix prove me wrong!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The "BIG" statement doesn't just mean scale. It means size as well.

Actually I think the "big" refers to the significance of the announcement, not the size of the kit (which might still be big, but isn't necessarily).

• Like 2