Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

I’ll throw my two-pence worth in at a 1/32 or 1/24 Buccaneer and 1/48 Sea King, although I can see certain things such as a 1/72 Hampden, Lysander, Battle or Liberator being more likely.

The optimist in me hopes for either a Lanc, Halibag, Stirling or Sunderland 😍 in 1/48 and the wacko in me would push for something like a Vimy in 1/48 or a type two HSL in 1/72 - now that would be a treat! 

Vulcan? Nah, not straight off the back of the Victor K.2 release. Look at the gap we had between Valiant and Victor. The last Cold War giant we had before those was the Nimrod in 2008? So 2008, 2011, 2016 and Vulcan in 2020? I’d still like to be proved wrong though.

Cheers,

WV908

13 minutes ago, WV908 said:

I’ll throw my two-pence worth in at a 1/32 or 1/24 Buccaneer and 1/48 Sea King,

With five-sigma certainty, I can state that whatever Airfix announces, it won't be a 1/32 aircraft.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Given the Typhoon went a big way to "saving" Airfix last time - I could see them doing it again in a similar fashion (i.e. WW2 fighter).

I think the Sea Fury, Spitfire (Mk.VIII or IX) or Gladiator are all potential subjects.

If Airfix is going to release something "big" in 1/48, a Blenheim Mk.IV is a possibility, especially as Airfix will already have pre-order data from the Mk.1, plus a lot of parts (and hence research) would be common..

If "big" is plane size - a B-24 would be a perfect follow-on from the B-17 which seems to be selling well.

Edited by Scott_

17 hours ago, dreadeddrew said:

All the previous suggestions sound great,but I'm living in hope for a 1/24 Bf110. Regardless of what it is,I'm sure I'll end up adding it to the ever expanding stash. We're certainly living in a wonderful modelling era,so many great kits........so little time!

I'm not sure Airfix would do one, but oh what a kit if they did! And it would fit with the BoB theme.

I'm imagining all the engine, gun-bay and cockpit detail you could get in that one.

1 hour ago, Scott_ said:

I'm not sure Airfix would do one, but oh what a kit if they did! And it would fit with the BoB theme.

I'm imagining all the engine, gun-bay and cockpit detail you could get in that one.

There is probably a much greater chance of Airfix doing a 1/48 Bf 110C/D

Ok, if talking 1/24 then something American seems sensible. P-47, F4F, F6F or F4U? To be really left field how about a P-38? All of those incidentally could/should be done in 1/48 and 1/72 as well (F4F excepted in 1/72).

Airfix seem to be developing a policy of having a type in both 1/72 and 1/48, so my guess would be a 1/48 Fw190 or Gladiator as these seem to be two obvious gaps.

For our non aviation related readers how about a Scorpion in 1/48?

Trevor

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nocoolname said:

1/24 modern farm set. Complete with tractor, harvester and cows in a variety of action poses.

And if the farming proves non profitable, then Airfix can release an aftermarket adventure park conversion set with soft play area and petting zoo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Ok! Sensible hat off. My list of releases I would like to see;

1/24. Spitfire Mk 1a, Mk IX or XIV. Me 109E, Me 262, F4U-1A, F6F Hellcat, P40E, P-51B, Tempest, Sea Fury, Mosquito B.IV, Meteor III or IV, Frightening F.2 / 6, Bf 110, Blenhiem, Tiger Moth, Hawker Fury, Gladiator.

1/48. Anything will do.

1/72. Halifax, Stirling, B-24, HP Herald, Vickers Viscount, Ju 88A-1/5, Blackburn Beverley, Hampden, DH Chipmunk, Spitfire XIV, Grumman Bearcat....oh, and loads more stuff!

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

13 hours ago, RichG said:

..........  how about Airfix turning their hand to a Vickers Vimy? 

The Vimy was the core of the RAF's heavy bomber force throughout the 1920s and set several notable records for long-distance flights. Now let me think what was the most celebrated and significant of these? 🤔 Ah yes; possibly the first non-stop crossing of the Atlantic by John Alcock and Arthur Brown in June 1919. By my calculation that would be 100 years next year... .....

I'm kicking myself for not remembering that anniversary  -  an excellent idea.

(The trouble is that the US market would probably be very weak for the kit as they have brainwashed themselves about Lindbergh.)

But the Vimy itself would make a great offering.

• Like 1

What I'd like to see:

1/24: DH Comet (no, not the airliner!); Percival Mew Gull (not Henshaw's uglified version).  More realistically, a Spitfire FR.XIV, but they won't do it the same year they're doing the 48th one (and probably wouldn't do this version in 24th).  Westland Whirlwind (the fighter).  Gloster Gladiator.

I really have no desire for 1/24- 1/32 seems "big enough" (already silly, for Lancs and B-17s and so forth), but it would be a great scale for the first two lovelies, and any of the others mentioned I'd HAVE to go for, just because.  (That's the problem with the scale, to me- you're not likely to have many "series builders" (or hoarders), rather it'll be that "In your case I'll make an exception!" passion.)

1/48: What would be "big and impressive" enough for the grand announcement (and have any chance whatever of making money)?  First that came to mind was Sunderland, but somehow I can't really see that happening.  A Bristol Brigand would be awfully nifty, but realistic? 

1/72: Not my thing, but Airfix HAS been seducing me with a few of their "recent" releases: Hurri, Glad, Tiger Moth, Dak, Spit 22.  So, not what I came here for, but if our eyes meet across a crowded room....

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

The official announcement is ;......................................................."There is going to be no official announcement regarding the 2019 kit releases until January 2019. Meanwhile, here is what you already know.........................................!":whistle: Given the distinctly underwhelming "big announcement" last year, I think I will refrain from any fevered speculation for now!:wicked:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

Ok! Sensible hat off. My list of releases I would like to see;

1/24. Spitfire Mk 1a, Mk IX or XIV. Me 109E, Me 262, F4U-1A, F6F Hellcat, P40E, P-51B, Tempest, Sea Fury, Mosquito B.IV, Meteor III or IV, Frightening F.2 / 6, Bf 110, Blenhiem, Tiger Moth, Hawker Fury, Gladiator.

1/48. Anything will do.

1/72. Halifax, Stirling, B-24, HP Herald, Vickers Viscount, Ju 88A-1/5, Blackburn Beverley, Hampden, DH Chipmunk, Spitfire XIV, Grumman Bearcat....oh, and loads more stuff!

Steve

The farming set ‘was’ my sensible idea 🙄

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

1/24 modern farm set. Complete with tractor, harvester and cows in a variety of action poses.

Do cows do action poses? 🐄

I live in Coventry, so the only cows I see are 1/1 kit form (but when I see them in Mr. Sainsbury's freezer, I'm not convinced all the parts are there.

:cow6:< I'm not sure this representation is 100% accurate.

• Haha 7

50 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

The official announcement is ;......................................................."There is going to be no official announcement regarding the 2019 kit releases until January 2019. Meanwhile, here is what you already know.........................................!":whistle: Given the distinctly underwhelming "big announcement" last year, I think I will refrain from any fevered speculation for now!:wicked:

Allan

You know, I think Allan might be onto something here. What's the bet it's just a full size mock up of their already announced 1/48 Spitfire XIV and knowing Allan's love of Spitfires that should make him really happy!!! Yep - It'll be a January 2019 full range roll-out. 

I'm honestly hoping that they do announce some type of Big Bang kit and revisit the glory Telford days of 2014's big Tiffie release, however as a prominent 1/72 modeller I'd be happy with a few little bangers (the list being too many to mention, so something should hopefuly get me excited). 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gorby said:

I live in Coventry, so the only cows I see are 1/1 kit form (but when I see them in Mr. Sainsbury's freezer, I'm not convinced all the parts are there.

I have the same problem with the Chicken kits in Morrisons. They always seem to be missing the head, feathers and feet. I think there must be a quality control issue somewhere. 

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

If it has to be 1:24 my bet would be Me 262. Personally I would prefer a Sea Fury or even better DH88 Comet - but for selling kits I guess the 262 will sell better and give more options 😞

You know, I think a 1/24 Sea Fury could sell just as well as a Me 262. It's very popular on the other side of the pond too. A 262 would be nice, but.....well, Sea Fury!

• Like 1

I don’t think another Spitfire is in the offing for 2019, other than the one already announced. It would lower the hype for both. Maximize hype for the one, and build on it in the future. 

In 1/24, a Tempest or Sea Fury seems logical, as it starts completing the family, but would that have the same financial impact as something more iconic?  Gladiator, another twin (not a Mossie), Sea King, or a Cold War jet scaled up to 1/24 would really set the boards abuzz and likely have a similar financial gain as the Tiffie. 

In 1/48, a heavy would certainly be big, but is it the best bet financially?  An affordable Lanc to compete with Tamiya’s?  A B-17 to compete with the Monogram?

In 1/72, the potential list is huge and is as likely as our wish lists for that scale. But what is “big”?  B-24, Stirling, B-29, Hali III, are the remaining WW2 heavies. Vulcan would be welcome and not a big surprise (my money is here, if a heavy).

Personally, I’d like to see (all 1/72):

Ju-88A-1/5

Battle

Spitfire XIV

D3A Val

SBD-2/3 Dauntless

Any ONE of those would make my year (as I continue to build releases from previous years).