Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

8 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

And no doubt somebody will be straight along with, "Is it just me or is the nose not quite right?".

Indeed! The ‘curve’ of the ‘2’ won’t be within 2 microns of being exact so a correction kit will be issued 😜

At the end of the day I have no expectations on Airfix so am unlikely to be disappointed while at the same time open to being pleasantly surprised. 

There are some subjects that I would really like to see, and others here have their own. If Airfix manage to strike a happy balance it would be great.

In terms of ‘big’ kits, my ‘definitely would buy’ list includes:

1/350 Ark Royal R09 (likelihood-2/10?)

1/350 Queen Elizabeth class carrier (likelihood-4/10?)

1/48 Lancaster Mk III (likelihood-3/10?)

1/72 new tool Vulcan (likelihood-5/10?)

1/24 new tool Spitfire Mk I (likelihood-5/5?)

1/24 Hawk Mk.1 (likelihood-2/10?)

Guess we’ll wait and see!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Not a Vulcan imho

Airfix are expecting in another batch of the old Vulcan & paints set - 'Vulcan to the sky' A50097

I doubt Airfix would be re-issuing this if there was new mould kit in the offings

btw, there is nothing about an announcement at SMW on the Airfix website

They might simply be trying to clear potentially redundant stock.  Don’t forget that the lead time for a new kit is around two years and, if a new Vulcan is “in the works” we probably won’t see it ‘til this time next year so Airfix need to keep the money rolling in ‘til then.  I suspect that the “Vulcan to the sky” sets are seen by the marketing and bean-counting departments at Hornby/Airfix as sure-fire “bankers” aimed now at the casual buyer, airshow attendee or Auntie Flo looking for a big box for little Johnny’s Christmas or birthday present (other stereotypes are available) rather than a premium product aimed at the enthusiast market.  “Until the new kit arrives let’s keep the money rolling in by repeatedly reissuing the old one.”

All the previous suggestions sound great,but I'm living in hope for a 1/24 Bf110. Regardless of what it is,I'm sure I'll end up adding it to the ever expanding stash. We're certainly living in a wonderful modelling era,so many great kits........so little time!

• Like 1

I know what I would like to see, but I'll just be happy with any new kits that Airfix release and that it makes them money. I like their kits a lot and just want to keep seeing them churning them out.

Steve

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

btw, there is nothing about an announcement at SMW on the Airfix website

Their Workbench blog is due this Friday so maybe a mention this week.

Robert

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grubber said:

!/24 EE lightning would do it for me

I nearly thought so when I saw the price of this; £131.99, I thought 1/48 was a mis-print, the way they had 1/48 on the 1/72 Beaufighter* box

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/english-electric-lightning-74-squadron-xs927.html

but it turns out that that is a Corgi diecast

Maybe a 1/48 Beaufighter?

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

They might simply be trying to clear potentially redundant stock. 

Don't think so; this is a new batch coming in from India which means newly moulded stock

But maybe they are building up interest for a new mould kit

It will be a spitfire.... it always is!!!!!  Might be a JP5, follow on from the trainer vampire, gnat,  JP 3.  New mould battle ??,  personnel a 1/48 Bristol bulldog/hawker fury/AW  siskin would be nice.... it will be a spitfire 

1 hour ago, Nigel Bunker said:

You're all wrong. It will be the long awaited 1/72 scale VC-10. Or so I dreamed last night.

I think there’s more chance of me building my vacuform 1/72 VC-10 and that is (quite literally) at the bottom of my pile 😜

What ever it is . Comments like ..never saw that coming and who'd have thought that will abound.

1/48 Gannet ???

1/24 Sea Fury 

1/24 Thunderbolt

Go on one of will be correct 

Dick

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I doubt Airfix would be re-issuing this if there was new mould kit in the offings

You're on shaky ground there.  Airfix did exactly that with their old rivet-covered 1/72 Bf 109E, reissuing it with a new (and very nice) transfer sheet just before replacing it with their new mould.

41 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

. I like their kits a lot and just want to keep seeing them churning them out.

Just be nice to see them doing a bit of churning in 1/72 instead of flirting with heretical scales.

• Like 4

Hmm, bucket of cold water guys, after the non event last year...........I was under the impression the new man at the top had said something along the lines of  'no announcements, just a rolling release program' ?

However, I'll join in, if it's to be 1/24 my guess, Mosquito, bomber nose with two stage Merlins........

Remember you heard it here first!

Paul

• Like 1

Good morning all

Whatever the news announced in a few days by Airfix and other brands I think our main problem is to find the time to build all these interesting models ...

I also think we all probably have a stock big enough to keep us busy for many years ...

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 6