Forum suddenly stops working!

• 3 weeks later...

I have just started having this problem. I'm in Abu Dhabi and went to post yesterday evening and couldn't. 

The site either doesn't load at all, or partially loads leaving little squares for the messages notifications etc. This is only when I try to access via internet, either using my phone or my laptop. If I disconnect from wi-fi and use my phone on 4g network it loads fine!

Ian

I get the server took too long to respond occasionally. I'm (obviously) here in UK and I only use a single page to browse. Not posting, no emojis etc... just viewing. Other pages open are fine so not a general internet malaise...

I'll make a note from now on when this happens (prob once a week)

Matt

13 minutes ago, AdriaN (MLT) said:

Yesterday ay 11.30pm I was on the form. Opened up maybe 2/3 threads.... It stopped working or loading. When I quit and clicked on the website link again, it never loaded!

If you happened to open up those threads in very close succession and they had a ton of elements (pictures, usually), you could have tripped the defences into thinking you were a Bot trying to overload the server.  If you're multitasking on the forum, try not to open too many tabs at once or in close succession (in the same second sort of thing). :)

On 10/11/2018 at 09:34, limeypilot said:

The site either doesn't load at all, or partially loads leaving little squares for the messages notifications etc. This is only when I try to access via internet, either using my phone or my laptop. If I disconnect from wi-fi and use my phone on 4g network it loads fine!

The site can't tell what kind of internet (fixed, dial-up, fibre, 4G or other) you're coming from, so it might be that there was some kind of bottle-neck or blockage with your hard-line broadband.  It does happen, and quite often it goes unknown by the user, who instead wonders if the site is broken. :shrug:

That's what I thought Mike, which is why it was odd. It had to be something on my network, not the site.

I just rebooted both my modem and router and for now it seems to be working ok again.....

Ian

Happened again about 20:50 tonight - site stopped working for half an hour and is back up now. I was trying to put up a post when it happened, one picture and one smiley (i.e. simple) emoji. BM was the only tab I had open, and I only had the one tab open, so I'll be surprised if I was hitting the server very hard. Using Firefox and Windows 10. I could access the site ok using my phone, so long as I didn't try to go through the Wi-fi/router. No problems accessing other sites so it looks as though my internet is fine.

Edited by Spiny
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have this problem too in Denmark.

it will come up after say 15 minutes on the site. This is on an Ipad it happens - seems ok on an iphone.

tried disabling various options in safari - but same lock-out. its happened before on my laptop a few times - putting a uk ip address (hola) fixed it  - so it seems a foreign ip address could be the issue.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1