Tricky USAF Phantom question

Red Dot

hi all,

Here's a question from my friend Sven in Germany, who is trying to model F-4E Phantom II, 66-371, tailcode JJ.

It served in Korat with the 388th TFW, 34th TFS from May 1969 to Feb. 1972 and was named Arizona Chicken with the appropriate artwork on the intake.

The pilot was Maj. Roger Long, but we can't find out the name of the back-seater?

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Andy

• Like 1

The 388th are currently at Hill AFB. If you contact them and ask for the Unit/wing historian officer, he can probably access said records. Alternatively you could do the same with the U.S. Air Force Museum in Dayton Oh. Ask or contact there research library. 

Dennis  

PS - If they cant help you please try the public relations officer. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

thanks for the help so far, but I'm sure we can do better than that? 🙂

I've sent a message to the wing e-mail address just in case

Andy

Edited by Red Dot

9 hours ago, Sonoran said:

Don’t bother. USAF units do not maintain detailed ancient history like that. I seriously doubt anyone in the Squadron had been born when that was happening.

Definitely the case.  Even if they maintained the names of the assigned personnel, they would not have a list of which names were on which jets.  At best they might have some unpublished photos, but even there it's doubtful.  With the various personnel cuts made in the last decade a lot of the support functions are no longer filled, and unit historian is very low to non-existent on their list of priorities. 

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

I've noticed on the Zotz decal sheets that 67-0371 (70-371 rather than 66-371?) 'Arizona Chicken' is one jet that doesn't feature the crew names under the canopies, just has the black backgrounds.

Edited by 71chally

I published a shot of that in The Phantom Story and may be responsible for incorrectly captioning the pic as fiscal year 66 instead of 67.  

The photo was in the Richard Ward collection and now that he's passed away may be lost, annoyingly so as the full original may have shown the WSO's name too. 

Suggest you ask after the names of helpers on the Zotz sheet, and/or try getting in touch with Don Logan, who photographed most of the F-4s at Korat before being shot down.

If I can still locate him at an old address I'll raise the Q.

Cheers

Tony 

1 hour ago, tony.t said:

I published a shot of that in The Phantom Story and may be responsible for incorrectly captioning the pic as fiscal year 66 instead of 67.  

The photo was in the Richard Ward collection and now that he's passed away may be lost, annoyingly so as the full original may have shown the WSO's name too. 

Suggest you ask after the names of helpers on the Zotz sheet, and/or try getting in touch with Don Logan, who photographed most of the F-4s at Korat before being shot down.

If I can still locate him at an old address I'll raise the Q.

Cheers

Tony 

Thanks Tony. I've sent you a pm

Andy