Wellington - Inside

224 Peter

I visited the new exhibition spaces at Brooklands which as well as the semi-restored Loch Ness Wellington has a forward fuselage that is open to invited visitors. 

I was able to go inside and see what it was like. 

A couple of photos, the first of the cockpit looking to where the turret would be,

IMG_0528.s.jpg

the second from behind the main spar, looking forward. The silver main spar replica only goes half way across to make access easier. 

To my left the canvas stretcher is folded up and above my head on the left are the oxygen bottles. 

IMG_0529.jpg

Just in front of the frame is the Navigators position and between him and the pilot is the Radio Operator. 

The floor is not original, the fuselage had been cut off at the bomb bay and the rest used as a chicken house. The new structures are bright aluminium, the original dull or painted. 

Likewise the hand rail was not there. 

All of this should be helpful for anyone super detailing the Airfix kit.  

I urge anyone making the Airfix kit to go to Brooklands! 

Edited by 224 Peter
Addition
  • Like 4

Many many years ago I applied to Hendon to be allowed to get into their Wellington but sadly the cost of being able to do so, and to take photos, was extremely expensive to a young lad in his twenties so sadly I never got there but I am so pleased you were able to visit Bro0oklands and post some pics here  . . . .

many thanks for doing that.

I've just spent time looking at reviews of that kit. 

This review: http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/171182.aspx has some great photos of the inside. 

I'm not sure if the Trumpeter men had ever seen inside, but the geodesic structure is a poor attempt. 

Also the kit has a second "co-pilot" column...no operation wellington had a co-pilots position. Yes, they may have carried a second pilot, but unlike a B17 they didn't have a seat, control columns or rudder pedals! 

Comparing the model with the partially restored Wellington at Brooklands, the fabric covering is way overdone with the geodesic structure showing much too prominently. 

But still tempted....

9 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

Also the kit has a second "co-pilot" column...no operation wellington had a co-pilots position. Yes, they may have carried a second pilot, but unlike a B17 they didn't have a seat, control columns or rudder pedals! 

That's not strictly true.
The second pilot's position was a bolt-in, bolt-out kit which could be applied to any Wellington. How often it was used I don't know, but what Trumpeter provides matches the configuration of the Hendon/Cosford Wellington,

Cheers,

Bill.