Fine Molds 1/48 Babs

Ernie

Hello,

I would like to join in with a 1/48 C5 M2 Babs from Fine Molds. The kit has decal options for two aircraft from PNG and one from Bali so it should fit ok I hope. If not please let me know.

45134150172_4844a6db51_c.jpg

45134150002_63df752aa3_c.jpg

This looks like a really nice kit, so it hopefully will be a nice little build.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

This is something different!

Didn't even know this kit existed.

It certainly fits the geographical limits of the GB.

I will follow your build with interest.

Thank you sir! This is a new kit released earlier this year. Fine Molds are set to release two other different versions in December, both with more interesting camouflage schemes than this version in overall light grey.  I am glad it fits into the GB as I am really excited to build it.

• Like 1

Have always liked this aircraft, although probably would try to stick to 1/72 scale for storage reasons. Now I think (besides the old Hasegawa) kits there's another newish 1/72 kit on the market, however may need to dig deeper to find what this is. What is it with BM GB's? I thought it was an exercise in building ones stash to ultimately try to reduce it - I end up getting inspired by all these great builds and just add to mine!! I'm watching on from afar and will look forward to seeing a fine kit being built. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

welcome aboard Ernie and gee that's something different!

It fits the scope of the GB perfectly so no problems there.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this one comes together, I have a few Fine Moulds models in the stash and they do look to be nicely done.

Good luck with her, I think there'll be some interest in this build, look forward to seeing her completed in the gallery.

On 10/10/2018 at 8:13 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

What is it with BM GB's? I thought it was an exercise in building ones stash to ultimately try to reduce it - I end up getting inspired by all these great builds and just add to mine!! I'm watching on from afar and will look forward to seeing a fine kit being built. 

:rofl2:

If it wasn't for GB's my stash would be a 10th of its size. Don't try to fight it....just buy it! :D

• 1 month later...

And we're off! I apologize for the delay in starting this......The day after posting my intention to build this I ended up in the hospital for 15 days, undergoing 1 emergency surgery and a second follow up one. After returning home it took a coupe weeks to finally feel like sitting at the bench for a period of time to work on this. The plus side is in puttering with the kit pretty much all the subassemblies are together, so as soon as the cockpit is together everything should move ahead rather quickly:penguin: The kit cockpit is very nicely detailed, though I am not sure how much will be seen on the finished build, but it was fun to paint up. The only thing I added were Eduard Japanese seat belts that I had spare in my P/E draw.

45914880201_9cfed964c8_c.jpg

As I mentioned the detail is pretty good, an example is the float gauge on the fuel tank behind the pilots seat! (I gave her a full tank, ready for the next mission:D)

45914880171_60bd99c805_c.jpg

The kit instrument panel with the supplied instrument decals. I separated the decal into smaller sections so it would be easier to apply. Solvaset was needed to get the decals to settle into the detail on the panel. The smaller switches and buttons were picked out with paint instead to relying on the decal. 

45914880131_46b3191402_c.jpg

Edited by Ernie
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

gosh that's some lovely work there!! :thumbsup:

Glad you're feeling better and can join us.

Thank you sir, appreciate it!

Next up was assembling all the separate cockpit parts into one unit. I must say I thought this was going to be a fiddley little bit of assemblage, but everything fit perfectly, really everything just clicked together :thumbsup: Just to be sure everything was aligned correctly I popped the unit into the fuselage halves while  the glue set up. 

45867716602_797f328a4c_c.jpg

45867721342_41a10a0580_c.jpg

45867716562_c707aca538_c.jpg

After this the cockpit unit was cemented into the fuselage halves for real. The fuselage fit together very well, but just to be sure I added a bit of Mr. Dissolved Putty to the seams and will let that set up. Today should see the seams taken care of and a good bit d assembly of the rest of the airframe.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Really sorry to hear about your medical issues Ernie, glad to hear that you seem to be past the worst of it.

Excellent start on the Babs, great job getting the instrument panel to look as good as it does, the whole cockpit assembly looks really good.

Thank you MM, I really appreciate it.

The cockpit module was one of the reasons I got the kit. I thought it was a unique way of doing the cockpit and that it would offer a level of detail better than a lot of kits with the detail molded to the fuselage side walls. It certainly is a step above, unfortunately, the kit provides the canopy in a single piece, so all of this will be viewed with a closed canopy☹️ I do not think that cutting the canopy apart is a viable option as the open sections nest with the fixed sections, and the injected canopy is too thick to allow that. But that aside, it is still a very nicely detailed module that fits into the fuselage very well.

• Like 3

Nice to see this Babs taking shape Ernie and although a few of us have been away for a reason or two, I’d say you’ve probably got the most genuine reason out of all of us!! Good to hear (and see) you’re back and spending hours on the model bench. I do say this kit is looking extremely good but you still have to have the talent to show it off - which you obviously have. 

Cheers.. Dave 

7 hours ago, Greg Law said:

That is looking great. Pity we can't put all the Japanese planes together at the end.

that is an interesting idea, I will have a think about it and maybe talk to Enzo about it.