Gloster Gladiator Mk.I.

Hi all.....

Please, let me introduce this old beauty wich, much to my lack of interest, have been lurking in the shelf of doom for a long time.

It's been built OOB, except for some scratch built cockpit detail, and rigging made from steel guitar string...The decals were a little bit difficult to handle, but finally managed to set them. These old kit have something special around the, call it nostalgia, call it fond memories...but can't remember enjoying it half  as much while building the Roden kit.

I hope you'll like it.  Best regards from Tenerife....!!!

41735307860_e7a79d7e9f_z.jpgIMGP0049 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

41735315600_8dc72e4fb2_z.jpgIMGP0047 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

43496025162_a11e9b4521_z.jpgIMGP0048 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

42825939854_039735a23a_z.jpgIMGP0046 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

43543631491_cd8567c6bd_z.jpgIMGP0045 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

• Like 46

Those pre-war biplanes are a great nostalgia trip in their silver finish. Yours looks like the Lindberg kit. I bought one relatively cheap not long ago. I'll be interested to see how it compares with the Roden one that I built some years ago (See Blackadder Goes to War  posted May 2017). There's some interesting schemes for those pre-war silver a/c. Hmmmmm. Paul

thanks a lot, Sirs.....

Yes, it's the Inpact kit, the same plastic that was at some point boxed by Pyro and lately by Lindberg.....got a bunch of them, and think they build into nice models with some minor love and care....for us with a limited budget, they are excellent options....

Cheers

nicely done.  I remember the old Inpact kits and was surprised when I first got my hands on one way back in the day when they were not long out.  They were pretty good models back then and have stood the decades since fairly well.  All the more so when you see one done as well as you have

Dear Sirs...I'm overwhelmed by your kind comments....

I've got a special fondness about those "silver wings" british prewar subjects.....in fact, any prewar biplane takes my heart easily....

To be honest, to a lazy modeller like me, those planes are fantastic, you must keep weathering to a minimun....

I've got a bunch of Gladiators, Furies, Flycatchers and Bulldogs, as well as some old Aeroclub vacuforms that I keep as a precious bounty.....I think I developed that feeling back when, as a kid, I did build those nice Matchbox kits, that tiny Siskin stood proudly amongst the line of Focke Wulfs in my shelf.....!!!!!

Whenever I compare these old kits against the modern, state of the art, offerings, my "fun factor" makes me think I'm comparing a good old Lapraigh against a J&B......guess wich one's the single malt..????

Cheers...!!!!

Very good looking Laphr… er, Gladiator!

I have the same kit in the stash, along with its Fury and Bulldog stablemates and am looking forward to building them. I quite agree about the special 'feel' of these kits, so far ahead of the state of the art in those days.

Nice modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Really nice - love the wood finish on the prop, never mind the excellent silver!  A shame Inpact aren't still with us.  Could you tell us a bit more about your rigging technique - what thickness of guitar wire and any other tips?

12 hours ago, bryanm said:

Could you tell us a bit more about your rigging technique

Well, I use electric guitar steel string, 0,08.

Fender, to be precise (always available at my local shop), but I'm pretty sure any brand will be as good. I cut a first length of string, a little bit longer than needed, and once trimmed to its right length, I cut another one exactly the same size, fix both of them, and start all over again. I fix both port and starboard wires at the same time, that way I'm sure I'm not wasting string at all. Usually, if things are well made, one string is enough to rig a biplane like this.

The main reason I use guitar string is that it gets completely straight once cut to length, and most of the times you don't need to paint them. Just some slow setting cyanocrilate glue, and ¡voilà!.

They won't work for flat rigging, if you're picky enough to notice it.....not my case at all......

Just a tip: if you like drilling small holes to secure flying wires to the wings, you can slightly bend to angle the string, using an electrician, flat pliers. Then just insert them into the previously drilled holes. If you've taken precise measures, won't probably need any glue.

Cheers...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bryanm said:

I have a Walrus waiting

Easier to do than to explain...!!! My limited english is somehow frustrating, I'd like to be able to explain myself better.....sorry