FJ-2, FJ-3 new decal sheets

72modeler

I have attached a link to the Caracal 1/72 decal sheet list; you can scroll down to see the FJ-2/3 sheets that will be released soon....can't wait! (I'm shafted, as my favorite FJ-2's are the natural metal VMF-235 Furies, so I will have to rely on the decals that come with the Sword kit for the most part), but I am betting many of you will be happy with the choices on the two sheets!)

Mike

http://www.caracalmodels.com/72scale.html

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hey Mike ... Sorry to hear your chosen decals wont be with these sets. Thats a good looking scheme. 

eFoCJeO.png

Its always possible that someone else may do a sheet or two. 

Dennis

Yep- that's the scheme!  Now I guess I need to start working on making ammo cans and an access door, as they were almost always open on the LH side for use as a step by the pilot, and the CMK set I have is for the Sabre, which had three .50cal cans, not  two 20mm cans. I also just noticed for the first time how far forward the external tanks were mounted on the pylons, so thanks for the photo! 👍

Mike

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I have attached a link to the Caracal 1/72 decal sheet list; you can scroll down to see the FJ-2/3 sheets that will be released soon....can't wait! (I'm shafted, as my favorite FJ-2's are the natural metal VMF-235 Furies, so I will have to rely on the decals that come with the Sword kit for the most part), but I am betting many of you will be happy with the choices on the two sheets!)

Mike

http://www.caracalmodels.com/72scale.html

Hi Mike,

They are advertised but, importantly, when are they on sale????!!!!!

Martin

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Mike,

They are advertised but, importantly, when are they on sale????!!!!!

Martin

Should be pretty soon for the 1st sheet, Martin- I get an email whenever a new sheet is released; I will be sure to post as soon as I find out. Have been telling all my modeling mates to be sure and get theirs if they want to build any of the three Sword releases, as there are a lot of Fury fanatics out there who have been waiting for decal sheets ever since they were announced!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Any news on these yet? 1/144 B-52H sheet (supposedly released a good few weeks ago) still showing as a future release on the Big Yellow H.

Evidently not yet, SJ; I check the site almost daily and will let you all know as soon  as I see that they are available.

Mike

I'm sure I saw an October release date mentioned? I've given up on these for now and am going the 'home-sourced' decal route on my FJ-3D. Paint on order and decals sourced (thanks to the Microscale F-4 stencil sheet and some Ventura numbers), so as soon as I finish my P-12E...

I'd still like to see these Caracal sheets though: they do look like a nice varied selection.

Probably I'll do the same SJ. I'm inclined to stick to my idea of building a Pacific Missile Range machine, as illustrated in the Steve Ginter book. I'll get drawing on the PC soon and then draw together other white decals from available sheets  as well as using the white F-4 sheets that you previously recommended. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

36 minutes ago, Robert said:

There is a decal sheet available now but only for one FJ-2 aircraft, unless there is something else on the sheet you fancy.

1028714290.jpg

https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/shop/wolfpak-72-114-star-fighter/#&gid=1&pid=1

Robert

Wow! Don't let @RidgeRunner see that B-26 markings option- he's only got just so many Revell/Italeri kits left in his stash! 😁

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but can you combine the Sword FJ-2 and FJ-3 kits to make an early FJ-3 with slatted wings? The glossy sea blue options on the first decal sheet are for this variant.

Edited by ivand

• 2 weeks later...

I received an e-mail on the 14th telling me that the sheet had shipped, however it was today, six days later, before the post office ever got their hands on it.  Supposed to be delivered on Friday the 23rd.

Later,

Dave

16 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Not yet, SJ. However, I ha a mail today from Caracal saying they had been despatched :).

Martin

Martin,

I got part 1, 72076, last week- what is it you want to know about the sheet? (See he only lives about 75 miles from where I do, so we Texans can get ours via Pony Express instead of HMS Tortuga!) No disrespect intended, but Her Majesty's Postal Service has yet to deliver the request for reinforcements from the troops at Dunkirk!

Mike

It does have FJ-3 BuNo 135867, a drone director in engine grey, international orange, and yellow. Is that the one?

Hi Mike! @72modeler !

I'm for not responding before.   Read your message and got distracted and then forgot :(. My sheets should be over the Atlantic right now so I'll get yo see them soon, I guess :). My plan is to use part of the Caracal set and then draw and print the remaining decals for "Pacific Missile Range" FJ-3D machine, as depicted in the Ginter book. In the meantime the next Thud is keeping me busy along with a Sun Run Voodoo :).....

hoping  go you are well. All my best,

Martin 

• Like 1

Martin,

No explanation necessary! I was out of town for the past two days, anyway. The sheet I have is part 1- has markings for two sea blue, one, seaplane/engine grey, and one gull grey/white FJ-3. National insignia with the blue disc for one airplane, and for one airplane with the all-white insignia w/o the disc. There are stencils/intake warnings  for two Furies- white and red to cater to the gull grey and the blue/engine grey schemes. I really wanted markings for the Marine FJ-2's in natural metal, but I can use the decals that come in the kit and use aftermarket if need be for the modex, serials, unit markings, and codes.

Mike