1/350 Trumpeter HMS Hood

13 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I have to say, Nick, that this is looking absolutely dot on.

And I have to agree stunning details  :book:

beefy

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2020 at 7:50 AM, Courageous said:

Looking very nice on its sea base.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart

On 3/4/2020 at 7:52 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I have to say, Nick, that this is looking absolutely dot on.

Cheers Jamie

On 3/4/2020 at 8:54 PM, beefy66 said:

And I have to agree stunning details  :book:

beefy

Cheers Beefy

Decided there's something not right with the bow wave; the wave hasn't crashed down but the water below is already disturbed??.

IMG_5482

Decided to infill with cotton wool and gloss gel per Chris Flodberg's videos and get a bit more of a 'dynamic splash';

IMG_5484

And thought I might as well have a go at the hull sides and wake;

IMG_5486

IMG_5485

IMG_5483

To be honest I'm not sure I haven't over done it a bit but for a first attempt at this method I'm fairly happy.

Just the crew now and she'll be done.

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 11

I have been following this inspirational build almost from the start and it has been endlessly fascinating. As someone returning to the hobby after many years (and with Impending retirement) I was looking both for a long project and useful guidance and have found both here in spades. 

One thing I have found particularly useful is the stunning quality of your photographs. Although I won't begin to aspire to the quality of your level of detail, I will a least be able to see what I'm aiming for!

Thank you again

David

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2020 at 3:37 PM, David Ridgus said:

I have been following this inspirational build almost from the start and it has been endlessly fascinating. As someone returning to the hobby after many years (and with Impending retirement) I was looking both for a long project and useful guidance and have found both here in spades. 

One thing I have found particularly useful is the stunning quality of your photographs. Although I won't begin to aspire to the quality of your level of detail, I will a least be able to see what I'm aiming for!

Thank you again

David

Thanks David, glad the WIP's been helpful. 

The phots are done with an Iphone X with 2 desk lamps over the model to get as much light as possible. Amazing how good phone cameras are these days!

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Crew ready to embark;

IMG_5504

Including Admiral Holland;

IMG_5506

That's all for the WIP, RFI next when the crew's onboard.

Thanks for all the likes and kind comments and especially thanks to Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies for the advice and help with using Colourcoats paint, much appreciated.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

What make are those figures Nick?  they're so much better than my 2D PE ones from North Star?

Also don't forget though that Home Fleet cap covers were black during WW2.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

What make are those figures Nick?  they're so much better than my 2D PE ones from North Star?

Also don't forget though that Home Fleet cap covers were black during WW2.

They're 3D printed figures, also from North Star. Excellent, a bit pricey and fiddly but worth the effort.

I had no idea about the black cap covers, thanks very much for pointing it out, easy to fix and will avoid a major inaccuracy that could have ruined the overall effect.

Off the back off your advice, I've also noticed that the shirts under the jackets where black in the wartime pics so they need to go as well!!

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick,

Not necessarily true on the white fronts.  In home waters, ratings dressed as seamen in Class II rig (i.e. the traditional sailors uniform that everyone thinks of), white fronts (the RN's terminology for the shirts you refer to) were summer rig and blue fronts, also known as blue jerseys, were the winter rig worn under the serge jacket.  Pre-war, this summer/winter rig was also aligned to the cap covers with the basic cap being black and a washable white cover worn over the top in summer.  An Admiralty Fleet Order was issued, I think in October 1939 (it may have been AFO 3025 which certainly dealt with hostilities uniform changes but I can't find anything definitive), that white cap covers would not be worn for the duration of hostilities so you can get black caps with white fronts, as this photo shows of Rear Admiral Glennie (the former CO of HMS HOOD before she went down) welcoming King George on board his flagship, HMS TYNE, at Scapa Flow in August 1943:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205151304

I don't now the exact date of the changeover from winter to summer rig but based on the regulations that were in force in the 1980s/90s, i would imagine summer rig, i.e. white front, would have been worn 1 Apr - 30 Sep.  However, it is slightly complicated because there is this image: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205142659, which shows the King visiting HMS SOMALI in June 42 at Scapa and they're wearing blue fronts.

If anyone has a copy of Brayley, 2014, Royal Navy Uniforms 1930-1945, that probably has the definitive answer on the AFO number, the date of its imposition and the annual changeover dates.  Unfortunately I don't and at £17 I can't really justify the cost.  

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Hi Nick,

Not necessarily true on the white fronts.  In home waters, ratings dressed as seamen in Class II rig (i.e. the traditional sailors uniform that everyone thinks of), white fronts (the RN's terminology for the shirts you refer to) were summer rig and blue fronts, also known as blue jerseys, were the winter rig worn under the serge jacket.  Pre-war, this summer/winter rig was also aligned to the cap covers with the basic cap being black and a washable white cover worn over the top in summer.  An Admiralty Fleet Order was issued, I think in October 1939 (it may have been AFO 3025 which certainly dealt with hostilities uniform changes but I can't find anything definitive), that white cap covers would not be worn for the duration of hostilities so you can get black caps with white fronts, as this photo shows of Rear Admiral Glennie (the former CO of HMS HOOD before she went down) welcoming King George on board his flagship, HMS TYNE, at Scapa Flow in August 1943:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205151304

I don't now the exact date of the changeover from winter to summer rig but based on the regulations that were in force in the 1980s/90s, i would imagine summer rig, i.e. white front, would have been worn 1 Apr - 30 Sep.  However, it is slightly complicated because there is this image: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205142659, which shows the King visiting HMS SOMALI in June 42 at Scapa and they're wearing blue fronts.

If anyone has a copy of Brayley, 2014, Royal Navy Uniforms 1930-1945, that probably has the definitive answer on the AFO number, the date of its imposition and the annual changeover dates.  Unfortunately I don't and at £17 I can't really justify the cost.  

Hello, and thanks for the reply, really informative and I had no idea. Looks like, as always, it's not as simple as I thought is might be!!

I've over painted the caps and fronts now (thanks for the correct terminology, and the crew have embarked, so they'll be staying dressed per the Somali visit. It's a shame because the white fronts broke up figures nicely, oh well, one to remember for future builds.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1

Nick, I've been reading through this Blog and it's been a Masterclass.  I especially like your rigging and overall finishing/weathering.  The sea base is excellent and the whole finished model is just exquisite.

Really like the figures (some on order)

Thanks for being an inspiration

Rob

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2020 at 4:30 PM, Chewbacca said:

Not necessarily true on the white fronts. 

I gave in and put the white fronts back on those I could reach! Thanks again for the info.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:30 AM, robgizlu said:

Nick, I've been reading through this Blog and it's been a Masterclass.  I especially like your rigging and overall finishing/weathering.  The sea base is excellent and the whole finished model is just exquisite.

Really like the figures (some on order)

Thanks for being an inspiration

Rob

Thanks Rob, that's really kind of you. Glad you enjoyed the WIP.

34 minutes ago, steve5 said:

I have never done a dio sea scene  before , and I am very impressed mate , it has a lot of wow factor . well done .

Thanks Steve, never tried the cotton wool before myself, please with how it turned out. 

Cheers

Nick

• 2 years later...