1/350 Trumpeter HMS Hood

On 5/11/2019 at 9:38 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Tin foil! Of course; why didn’t I think of that?  I’m gradually assembling extras for a future Merit 1/350 Ark Royal, and since she will be depicted at sea (working hypothesis is turning into wind to launch the fatal Bismarck strike) I need to cover most of the boats.  I’d already ordered some North Star goodies - bridge kit, HACS, pom-pom directors - and having seen yours I’m very glad I had.

Your Hood is looking magnificent.

Thanks  Crisp

I tried tissue paper soaked in glue first but it fell apart - the foil looks ok. 

Good luck with the 1/350 Ark Royal - I've go that in the stash as well, looking forward to starting it, I'll be on the look out for yours.

The North star bits are very nice!

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bit of progress over the last month or so, in between holidaying in the sunshine :)

Main mast is painted and assembled;

IMG_4953

Modified the foremast starfish to add the 2 semi circular platforms at the aft end from spare quad vickers bases cut in half;

IMG_4882

And added the access platform on the starboard side;

IMG_4883

Spotting top with the moulded windows completely sanded away and replaced with etch, the aft bulkhead needed rebuilding in plasticard;

IMG_4884

Railings and radar;

IMG_4903

And doors on the aft end, dry fit on the platform after building up the starfish;

IMG_4902

Yards assembled from Flyhawk etch and brass rod, the kit bits are too chncky and bendy;

IMG_4886

Foretop painted up and yard assembled with supports from 0.5mm plastic rod;

IMG_4957

Front view - the coloured lenses on the bow and port and starboard lights are little decal squares;

IMG_4956

Made up a couple of lights for the bridge sides as well out of spare etch and rod;

IMG_4959

She's nearly ready for putting together - honest guv!!

Cheers

Nick

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Spotting a few issues with the build that need correcting and then last little detailed bits;

Doors on the aft funnels are modeled open - but can't be when in situ with skyligts;

IMG_4971

So, one open, one closed;

IMG_4993

And I noticed the the waterline's all wrong, way to low (had the same problem on Trumpy HMS Repulse a few years ago but didn't notice until too late).

It looks the water line plate supplied is effectively at the top of the hull below the boot top, I painted it black to represent the boot top which makes her sit too high in the water.Makes you wonder why Trumpetter supplier a water line plate that's underwater, but hey ho, my fault should have realised earlier.

Masked up to show the difference - it's quite a lot really;

IMG_4973

And sprayed;

IMG_4975 IMG_4974

Better I think especially as she was renowned for having a flooded quarter deck.

The issue now is that she sits too high on the pre-made base, so jigsaw out and a spare piece of board glue beneath;

IMG_4997

Packed up by a few mm and she looks ok I think;

IMG_4996

Added the 'drain pipes' on the side from 0.3mm wire - I know, should have done these about 3 months ago 🙄;

IMG_4992

And the yards missing from the kit from 0.5mm rod and some tamiya tape;

IMG_4994

Railings and splinter shield supports on the aft deck;

IMG_4979

Davits and life rings;

IMG_4995

Last bits made up for painting - the little loop on right is half a chain link on a plasticard base for holding down the main derrick hook when stowed;

IMG_4978

And the boxes on the right of this one are engine room vets for the aft end of the boat deck from plastic strip with pom-pom ammo belts for the vent mesh - not perfect but better than the moulded squares on the kit;

IMG_4980

Decks have had a wash of thinned Tamiya acrylic to tone em down;

IMG_4998

A coat of Klear on everything prior to a pin wash next and she can go together - finally!!

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 14

On 7/17/2019 at 12:17 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Beautiful.  She really didn’t have much freeboard, did she?  No wonder she was semi-perpetually awash down aft.

I konw, some of the film and pics of her underway are amazing, the quarterdeck's virtually wash in high heavy seas. Wonder if she was designed to be like that or if it was a consequence of extra weight (armour presumably) being added over her lifetime?

Cheers

Nick

On 7/16/2019 at 6:27 PM, longshanks said:

Impressive !   :thumbsup:

Kev

Cheers Kev

On 7/16/2019 at 7:43 PM, beefy66 said:

Oh all those fiddling little things :hypnotised:

Cracking job there Nick  👍🏻

beefy 

I know what you mean, but that's half the fun!!

On 7/17/2019 at 9:35 AM, Terry1954 said:

Don't know how I ever missed this one. Such impressive work here Nick, and a real lesson on finescale 1/350 ship construction.

Terry

Cheers Terry

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 8:07 AM, Kev The Modeller said:

Good save on the bow, what filler did you use I'm wondering I've never had that issue?  

Superb work mate, I'm going to follow along with interest :yes:

Hi Kev, thanks for the comment :)

I used Squadron White filler en-masse to ruin the bow, and the same stuff in thin layers to fix it - you live and learn!!

Cheers

Nick  

19 minutes ago, Kev The Modeller said:

The filler is obviously a little hot when applied thickly and would suggest is solvent based.   

Yep, I'm not whether it actually got hot or it was just the solvent flashing off as it cured, lesson well and truly learned!

Bit of progress over the last couple of week;

Turrets finished bar a matt varnish - not sure what the wires over the top were for - any ideas?

IMG_5001

Main mast and derrick pre-rigged as far as possible before fixing;

IMG_4999

Breakwaters, cable reels and vents fitted;

IMG_5002

Cheers

Nick

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, Nick Charnock said:

Turrets finished bar a matt varnish - not sure what the wires over the top were for - any ideas?

"Storm wire" (AOTS Hood). Post no longer present on B-turret on X-turret after about 1932 as far as I can tell and I cannot see the wire itself on my early-war pictures?

Edited by foeth
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, foeth said:

"Storm wire" (AOTS Hood). Post no longer present on B-turret on X-turret after about 1932 as far as I can tell and I cannot see the wire itself on my early-war pictures?

Thanks, been wondering for ages what they are .

I went with the 3D Kagero drawing which shows em fitted in 1941. 

I'll have to see If I can remove them from B and X without too much damage.

BTW - your Hood is awesome 👍

Cheers

Nick

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 6:34 PM, longshanks said:

Lovely Jubbly !

Kev

Thanks Kev

No posts for a while so a culmination of a coupe of weeks work;

Lifeboats rigged, I tried foil but couldn't cut it thin enough without it tearing. The straps are 0.5mm ish paper strips;

IMG_5064

Forecastle and quarter deck rails fitted with diluted PVA glue;

IMG_5066

IMG_5067

Yards at the stern from 0.3mm brass rod

IMG_5068

Final assembly can finally begin, funnel stays are Standard Uschi line;

IMG_5072

Big join at the front at the conning tower to fill;

IMG_5073

IMG_5074

IMG_5075

Main mast fitted, the little hoop for holding the hook worked out ok;

IMG_5076

IMG_5077

Overall;

IMG_5078

Signal lanyards next, and then all the other deck level bits and bobs can go on.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 19