Revell 1/48th Tornado GR1

+1 for the wraparound grey/green! I love it! Superb work on the exhausts, which look incredibly real. I'll forward this on to my mate, who's Dad flew them for 617Sqn in the 1980s.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Shaun said:

Very nice, great finish in the classic scheme.

Nice to see another set of seals put to good use.

Nice work with the detail on the shoulder pylons.

Great job..

Shaun.

Thanks very much Shaun, very impressed with the seals, make a big difference. I'm just about to add another set to my F3, might involve  a little more work as I want the wings fully swept.

21 hours ago, Jackster said:

For the F3 Gazza I am biased to 111 Sqn although the Falkland Island jets would make a nice model? 

Both good choices I think I'll go for the kits 111 Sqn special scheme.

10 hours ago, Mark said:

+1 for the wraparound grey/green! I love it! Superb work on the exhausts, which look incredibly real. I'll forward this on to my mate, who's Dad flew them for 617Sqn in the 1980s.

Thanks very much... I hope he approves.

Regards, gazza l

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2018 at 8:22 PM, gazza l said:

Thanks very much Shaun, very impressed with the seals, make a big difference. I'm just about to add another set to my F3, might involve  a little more work as I want the wings fully swept.

Cheers, Its not that hard to do, just take your time and file slowly. F3's look good with the wings back.

Shaun.

• Thanks 1

That's a lovely bit of modelling you have done there. Very nice job indeed!

On 10/10/2018 at 12:44 PM, gazza l said:

I used the blutac method and find it work really well at this scale, giving convincing soft edges to the camo. ... you get through a fair bit of masking tape...

I found on my Bucc wraparound, that using blutack sausages and then just put pieces of plastic shopping bags cut into smaller bits, fills in the gaps nicely. No masking tape required!

• Thanks 1

That is a great looking Tonka well done! - that wrap around camo looks great 

I have the Revell 1:48 IDS in the stash .. months of trying to decide which version to build ... GR1 or GR1A definitely winning now, they remind me of holidays at my Grandma's in the 80's walking all over Exmoor seeing the Tornado's flying below us in the valleys!

• Thanks 1

Many thanks once again chaps for your kind comments.

On 10/13/2018 at 11:57 AM, colin said:

What's involved back dating this kit to a GR1

Not much really, obviously a different paint scheme and a new set of decals, I also used the Eduard IDS cockpit photoetch set, leave off the L/H sensor under the nose and use the IDS spine (included in the kit) rather than the GR4's.

On 10/14/2018 at 2:23 AM, hairystick said:

That's a lovely bit of modelling you have done there. Very nice job indeed!

I found on my Bucc wraparound, that using blutack sausages and then just put pieces of plastic shopping bags cut into smaller bits, fills in the gaps nicely. No masking tape required!

Thanks very much hairystick, I'll give that method a try next time.

On 10/14/2018 at 8:30 AM, sanfrandragon said:

Lovely Tonka, great job on getting the intakes to line up and I wish I could get my canopies to look so clear!

Thanks, the intakes were probably the worst part of the kit, a fair bit of filler and sanding required here. I lost most of the surface detail which I had to re-scribe. As for the canopy, just a quick dip in Future.

Regards, gazza l

• Like 1