Planet Models XF10F-1 Jaguar 1/72

This is my 1/72 Planet Models Grumman XF10F-1 Jaguar. The Jaguar was the first attempt to build a practical swing wing fighter and while it was a good first try, like most such things it was not a success. I used these 2 links, both members here, as inspiration http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2012/06/xf10f-pictures.html and 

Including using the Obscureco F9F pather seat and cutting a hole in what would have been the wing butt joint and inserting the part of the wing that was to be cut off if the wings were to be mounted in the swept-forward position which is how I decided to display it. I would rate the Planet Models kit as above average for resin kits with nice molds, fit and very few pinholes. I also had the Anigrand kit, but compared to the drawing is the Ginter book it was way undersized so I didn't use it. The kit included 2 vacuformed canopies and since it usually takes my at least 2 tries to get a vac canopy right, that was a good thing. As it turned out I got it right on my first try. The decals were everything you could ask a decal to be. Very thin, but with enough body so the could be moved around and no silvering. So on to the pictures;

9kcsN3Ka_o.jpg

pWjOinqt_o.jpg

3q2Fg6PZ_o.jpg

SvcJ4nKS_o.jpg

TTmkppDR_o.jpgThis next pose strike me as very bird likej0q6DhgJ_o.jpg

Next up will be the Hobbycraft F2h-3 Banshee. Enjoy.

• Like 20

What is really interesting about the horizontal stabilizer is that the little canard like triangle in the front is that part that is controlled by the pilot's stick. When that is moved aerodynamic forces cause the larger stabilizer to move. This along with the swing wings was one of several novel features of this aircraft.

Thanks

Howard

• Like 1