Avro Shackleton AEW.2

Radio silence as it were has been due to me being busy working on the interior of the aircraft. With the front observation area built I have now fixed the interior into the fuselage. This actually fitted nicely, with out any hiccups (the truth of the pudding however will come when the halves are joined).

IMG_20181017_161342IMG_20181017_161346

I now need to add the instrument panel and pedals before the halves can meet.......fingers crossed.

• Like 16

And then disaster struck! I carefully placed the halves together (dry fit) and it appeared they would fit, with a squeeze together. However, as I added glue along seperate areas and slowly stuck them together, they no longer fitted. Gaps galore, I seperate them cleaned off the glue and tried again, and again. Eventually, having sanded down different internal parts it went together....with gaps where the glue has melted the seam. Lots of filler and sanding will be required, along with lots of patients to get this back on track.☹️

2018-10-17_08-23-08

• Like 1
  • Sad 12

Just keep fitting those parts on this kit and try not to paint the edges that need to be gluid together.

It has some very tight tolerances, even without paint it is going to be a squeeze...

Nice modelling sofar..keep up the good work!

Cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

Depending on the size of the gaps, it might be worth trying to plug them with a suitably thin Evergreen strip or similar, which could then be trimmed back and sanded as necessary. This would be more elegant than filling/sanding because the area to be worked on would be a lot smaller.

On another WIP thread, I saw that someone had used masking fluid on the mating edges and recesses of the kit under construction before painting the internals. If tolerances are so tight, I will try that when I get to the AEW2 in my stash.

Lovely work so far; I have every faith in your ability to make a fine save of the fuselage issue.

• Thanks 1

How did I manage to miss the start of a Shelliecool build? I promise to pay better attention in future! I have not doubt whatsoever that you will sort out the join issues.

Chastised of Mars 👽

• Thanks 1

Bad luck on the close up Michelle… sounds like the 'new Airfix' tight tolerances which are great IF there's no flash. I've seen little ridges on some of mine and they throw everything out :( 

That said, I'm sure you'll master it :) 

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear of your problem with the joins.

You could try melting some of the sprue in liquid cement (tet) and use the resulting mixture to fill the gaps. By using the kit sprue you will have the same plastic type as the kit so avoiding either a harder kit plastic with softer filler or visa versa. This also acts as an adhesive so making for a stronger joint. Hope that maybe of some use to you.

Roger

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the votes of confidence. I was feeling rather down about the build last night, however, today I have added a little filler to the seams (gaps!) Just to see how bad things really are. This has made me slightly happier, because the gaps appear to be fairly small (ISH) and the filler has bridged them. I plan to sand a little, see what happens, and maybe fill some more. I also have some Mr.surfacer which I can brush along the seam at the end. What do you all think?

IMG_20181018_171145

• Like 14

You will be fine Michelle. I tend to open out lugs and sand back such parts as bulkheads and ribs to give me what I call a bit of "wiggle room". 

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

Nice save Michelle, as they said, with newer toolings they have a tendency to be a lot tighter on the tolerances, so as Martian said, a swipe with a sanding stick around the bulkheads etc helps when buttoning up.

Still, she looks good from here.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

Excellent work on the interior! Sorry about the problems with the fuselage fit, however. I'm coming up to the inevitable point where I have to glue the fuselage together on my MR.2 so I'll be careful with this. Since I left out all the AEW.2 ironmongery in the middle (the radar/sensor stations), perhaps mine will fit a little better, but we shall see. Still, great to see someone building the Airfix AEW.2, as that may very well be my next purchase (I already have the Revell AEW.2 - I'm a bit of a Shackleton fanatic; I even have a contract to write a book about the Grey Lady, so I can justify buying all these kits as 'research').

Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

This looks terrific and that interior is lovely. Do you mind if I tag along? I have the MR2 version (I'm obsessed with white, or mostly white British aeroplanes of the Cold War era) and am keen to see how this progresses. I'm sure you'll get the fuselage halves together beautifully. 🙂

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Timmas said:

This looks terrific and that interior is lovely. Do you mind if I tag along? I have the MR2 version (I'm obsessed with white, or mostly white British aeroplanes of the Cold War era) and am keen to see how this progresses. I'm sure you'll get the fuselage halves together beautifully. 🙂

Great to have you on board!

Thanks,

Michelle.

• Like 1

I've been filling and sanding, and have now used Mr.Surfacer. This is the first time I have used this product (a well ventilated room is recommended 😷) and I brushed it finely along the seam. It has acted as more of a filler, so I have sanded it back and retouched and sanded again, retouched and I'm getting pretty happy with the transformation. However, now another disaster......I have a piece missing! F7 is nonexistent in my kit. Email sent with a please send me one ASAP, but looks like the build may soon be on hold😟, good job I still have some sanding to get on with😂.

• Sad 3

Great work on the internals, she looks really busy. Shame about the fit of the fuselage but you seem to have sorted it. Mr Surfacer is great but it does tend to dry into the gap so you still end up with marks you might not want. Multiple applications usually fixes this.

fingers crossed for a replacement part soon eh.

Johnny

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great work on the internals, she looks really busy. Shame about the fit of the fuselage but you seem to have sorted it. Mr Surfacer is great but it does tend to dry into the gap so you still end up with marks you might not want. Multiple applications usually fixes this.

fingers crossed for a replacement part soon eh.

Johnny

What he said!

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope the missing part arrives soon Michelle :) 

I'm pretty new to Mr Surfacer too - from some videos on the 'net it looks like multiple 'wet' applications are recommended; it dries pretty quickly and shrinks a lot so first coat, wait a bit, fill in the holes, repeat. Once that dries, sand to taste... HTH

• Like 1