Avro Shackleton AEW.2

25 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Such good work on display here! How weathered is she going to be?

Thanks Thom, I will probably go for a light touch with my weathering. I guess closer inspection of the genuine aircraft could help me here.

Thanks again,

Michelle.

• Like 1

Looking good Michelle.  I’d never noticed that the AEW. 2s wore underwing rounders ‘til I saw your image of the underside of yours.  A quick google found me an image of WR960 showing them quite clearly: I’ve got the kit and I’ve even looked at the instructions but didn’t spot them.  Shows how much notice I take of stuff..........

• Thanks 1

fantastic work!  In the time you have built a great looking B-17 and Shackleton  .. I have put some decals on  2 1/72 Spitfires , opened my Airfix B-17 kit for the STGB (not posted there yet!) , taken sprue photos and broken my wrist (lol) which entailed model shop therapy (blames BritModeller for that ) to buy a couple more kits !

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

Work on the (many) props has begun! Since this photo I have airbrushed the black sections, so thankfully I'm nearly there!!!

Oh, the fun to be had there! Spray the tips white. Mask the 4mm at the tips with two strips of 2mm tape and one over the join for luck (that's what I did for mine, should be a trace over 4.2mm for the rivet counters) and spray black. Unmask the white, mask the black. Mask the centre of the white area with 2mm tape trimmed down in width by about a third (Mk. I eyeball job, but across a length consistent for all blades). Spray varnish of choice to seal the edges of the tape. Spray the red. Unmask. Curse any overspray or runs under the tape the varnish didn't prevent. Touch up errors with a fine brush. Sigh with relief. Endeavour not to bend or snap any blades when installing the props.

Yes, modelling is a relaxing hobby and soothes the savage beast!

• Haha 5

On 11/18/2018 at 1:42 PM, Steve Coombs said:

Oh, the fun to be had there! Spray the tips white. Mask the 4mm at the tips with two strips of 2mm tape and one over the join for luck (that's what I did for mine, should be a trace over 4.2mm for the rivet counters) and spray black. Unmask the white, mask the black. Mask the centre of the white area with 2mm tape trimmed down in width by about a third (Mk. I eyeball job, but across a length consistent for all blades). Spray varnish of choice to seal the edges of the tape. Spray the red. Unmask. Curse any overspray or runs under the tape the varnish didn't prevent. Touch up errors with a fine brush. Sigh with relief. Endeavour not to bend or snap any blades when installing the props.

Yes, modelling is a relaxing hobby and soothes the savage beast!

I could have done that differently.

Spray the tips white. Mask what will become the white stripe and spray red. Mask the final 4/4.2mm of the tip and spray black. Remedial work as required.

Probably not as much fun, though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

I could have done that differently.

I would be reaching for the propeller tip decals... :coat:

Nice work - I like the preshading, gives a much-needed lift to an overall grey scheme 

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have to say that following the post showing the props getting painted I am a tad concerned for your sanity. It would have reduced me to a gibbering alien wreck. Hang on a minute!

Martian 👽

• Like 2

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 03:12, Thom216 said:

Props for the props! Love contras!

I love them too so long as its not me that has to paint them!

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Last night I carefully placed the Shack in my spray booth for the last time and gave it a coat of Vallejo satin varnish. Having left it to dry overnight, I have just taken it out of my model cupboard for its final photo shoot. Now I am reminded again what a huge aircraft the Shackleton is (to large to fit iny glass display cabinet for sure). This build has been epic for me, having had so much trouble joining the fuselage halves, so much filling and sanding, the first time I have preshaded a build and the general scale of the aircraft to airbrush, it certainly is a build that will stay in my mind for a long time. That said however, I am really happy with my finished product, I doubted my ability to correct my mistake with the seam but now feel much more confident for future builds, and honoured to have built such a beast of a beautiful aircraft. Thanks for joining me on my journey, here's to the next!

IMG_20181125_083132IMG_20181125_083123IMG_20181125_083112IMG_20181125_083100IMG_20181125_082932IMG_20181125_082741IMG_20181125_082836

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 17