Avro Shackleton AEW.2

Tonight I have begun the task of airbrushing 'Dougal' Dark sea grey. For this I am using Vallejo acrylic Dark sea grey as an equivalent to the suggested Humbrol paint. It is quite a gargantuan task, airbrushing a build quite so big one shade of grey, however as usual the acrylics sprayed nice and evenly.

2018-11-02_10-21-37

Not the best picture of the beast, the paint isn't as dark as it appears in this light. Another coat tomorrow and hopefully it will really take shape.

• Like 11

Hey Shellie

Well I have to say that's looking rather good....When I painted mine to overcome the size of the thing I painted it without the wings on as their fit was so good, in fact I still haven't attached the wings permanently 2 years (I think) after I finished her..

She will be a stunner when you've finished, oh and I like the pre shading too nice one 👍

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm interested to see how you get on with the pre-shading Shellie. When I tried it I applied to much top coat and the whole lot just got covered up! Doh!

Looking good from here :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm interested to see how you get on with the pre-shading Shellie. When I tried it I applied to much top coat and the whole lot just got covered up! Doh!

Looking good from here :) 

Thanks Ced, I have a feeling the same will happen here! It takes a really long time to do it too!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Don't forget you can also lighten areas (such as the middle of panels) by using white when pre-shading. Easy way to represent fading.

Thanks Bigdave, this preshading lark is new to me, I have watched loads of YouTube clips where you airbrush the panel lines but any tips are greatfully received.

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I know Dougal had a black nose, but he definitely wasn't grey!

Ian

Hi Ian,

He certainly wasn't grey!.......spot the difference...

latest

16523342511_3d2e8b90ac_b-1

I've been applying decals this evening, and you have cheered me up!

Thanks,

Michelle.

• Like 4

As I said to Ian, I have been applying decals this evening. I had previously given the build 2 coats of Quick Shine gloss varnish, which I left to dry overnight. I have begun on the left wing, using micro sol, water and a cotton bud. There are a multitude of yellow stripes on both wings, and as I started applying them I began to wish I'd airbrushed them. They are very long, and awkward shape's, I also fear they may silver slightly. However, I have taken my time and persevered and now have the wing complete (just the roundal to pop on top.).

• Like 5

Finally, after lots of concentration and a steady hand, all the decals are in place, and the aircraft has really taken shape. A coat of Quick Shine gloss varnish needs to be applied to seal them in and we are ready to begin work on the undercarriage and props.

IMG_20181114_192010IMG_20181114_192020

• Like 13