Avro Shackleton AEW.2

While I'm waiting for the part I have been doing a little more Sanding on the seam. I now feel a lot more comfortable with it and hope it's close to being invisible once primed.

IMG_20181022_172731

I have also started building the wheel wells, tail plane other sections of the kit.

IMG_20181022_172644

Hope this keeps me going until Airfix post me the part.

• Like 9

Today I received an email from Airfix informing me that the part is in the post, I am hoping it might arrive by Saturday (fingers crossed). In the mean time I have been busy taking a trial flying lesson experience at Enstone.

IMG_20181024_100825

Not only was it an awesome experience having control of an aircraft in the air (I now have the bug and am desperate to fly again), we were also lucky enough to see the Spitfire replica's they are building there.

IMG_20181024_112432

IMG_20181024_112454

Back on the ground I have been working on the wings and engine cowling and any other bits and bobs, until the part arrives.

IMG_20181025_093345IMG_20181025_093411

• Like 12

15 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

I now have the bug and am desperate to fly again

Oooh, that's going to be expensive! I now exactly how you feel though - got my PPL a long time ago (in Wiltshire) and now time lapsed for some years but the itch had to be scratched!

Nice Cessna and they're great to fly - Gulf-Bravo-Oscar-Oscar-Oscar is a bit of a mouthful though eh? :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Morlock said:

Looking good. I have the Revell boxing. Does the kit come with any stores for the bomb bay?

Thae Airfix AEW. 2 has all of the parts from the MR. 2 in the box, including 2 each of 2 different torpedoes.  In service the AEW. 2 tended only to carry  1 set of Lindholme gear to support a secondary SAR role.

Agreed Shellie’s is looking good; she’s just inspired me to move mine back up the Pile of Doom and get them finished.

• Like 1

Came home work today to find a small package from Airfix 😀. Needless to say, the part has been painted, fixed in place, and the canopy secured. Yesterday I fitted the wings, which went on easily but are huge (so my storage is now tight), so tomorrow I plan to prime the build ready for painting.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, stever219 said:

#impressed!  Looking good Shellie.  Are you planning to paint the prop tips or use the transfers from the kit?

Thank you! I have started trying to airbrush as much as I can, I think it is sometimes easier than applying decals. 

Thanks again,

Michelle.

• Like 1

I don't know why, but I've only just found this and you're 3/4 of the way through.

An old gliding school friend flew Shackletons then Nimrods and there's a story somewhere ( probably on one of Ced's builds ) of when they took a Shack to the the USA. 

Going back to the beginning now to read it properly.

John

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

An old gliding school friend flew Shackletons then Nimrods and there's a story somewhere ( probably on one of Ced's builds ) of when they took a Shack to the the USA. 

John

There are plenty of stories involving Americans and Shackleton: one involves a gullible young US serviceman being convinced by a Shackleton crew that the large ECM fairing on top of the fuselage was THE spark plug and that each prop, fronts first, then rears, had to be hand-swung to start it.  Another concerns a Shackleton MR 3 Phase 3 and an aircraft carrier.  The Shackleton is flying on the power of the two Viper auxiliary engines alone with all props feathered making a dummy approach to the carrier.  The Vipers are running flat out and chucking out as much smoke as the Phantoms that are hurriedly being shoved off the side of the ship to facilitate the Shack’s anticipated emergency landing once did; as the Shack reaches break off height the Griffons are unfeathered, restart and the Shack climbs serenely(?) away.........

Apicryphal maybe, but great fun nonetheless.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

And now to spark a little controversy, I have decided to attempt some preshading. I know there are alot of modellers that are pro preshading, and a lot who are anti. I have to say, a few of the modellers I am following on YouTube preshading, and I am really impressed with their builds. So I thought I'd give it a go, if nothing else it will help me work on my airbrushing techniques. Also with this Shack being mostly one colour (Grey!) I thought it might break up the general, well 'Greyness.' I have watched hundreds of films demonstrating how to preshade, so I set up my airbrush, loaded it with some Vallejo black and prepared to concentrate! 3 days later and the aircraft is preshade, most of which will disappear under the Vallejo dark grey (I also fear I have rsi in my hands!).

IMG_20181101_220400

• Like 8

I don't do it very often (oi you rabble at the back, behave!) but when I did it on my all grey Jaguar I was pleasantly satisfied with the effect of it under the grey, all power to your elbow m'm

It seems the way ahead even for me the dinosaur, I will use the technique far more often in future

The Shack looks great

• Like 2

Totally agree with @perdu with regard to post/pre shading, a technique I have used but not on a regular basis.

As others have said your Shackleton is really coming together into a stunning result!

Roger

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, perdu said:

I don't do it very often (oi you rabble at the back, behave!) but when I did it on my all grey Jaguar I was pleasantly satisfied with the effect of it under the grey, all power to your elbow m'm

It seems the way ahead even for me the dinosaur, I will use the technique far more often in future

The Shack looks great

I agree with Perdu, on simple camo aircraft preshading can be very effective when done well

• Thanks 1