Revell 1/48 F-86D Sabre Dog

This has been my first completely OOB build for a long time, and I have quite enjoyed it. The kit itself does steer that largely - I wouldn't enjoy making an OOB model from something with glaring omissions like seatbelts!

Build thread here: 

Not much else needs to be said about this really. It is essentially a glorified paint mule to try out some ideas I had for natural metal finishes before getting to that stage of two somewhat larger and rather expensive models (both in money and my time to get to that stage). That said, I'm content with how it turned out although I will build another test model to refine my ideas a bit. Not everything went well!

This one is painted with Alclad II and Colourcoats. The only thing added to the model is self adhesive car wheel balance weights, and I did the tiniest amount of modification to the ejector seat firing handles and corrected the rudder trim tab following advice I received on the forum.

resized_e40d152d-7b46-48be-b5bc-f59ac875

resized_544b7a75-3eb2-4b08-982e-3d2d4b7f

resized_f8e1adcf-6f6c-414b-8284-1cc6928b

resized_82653529-74c7-4cc0-afb3-f75ee2ae

resized_8cb864a3-ab8b-49dd-b9cd-761849fa

• Like 53

Looks like @Sabrejet has created another Sabre monster! Very nice model, Jamie- you did a bang-up job on the nmf, in my opinion. SJ will be proud you corrected the trim tab, too! Well done! I have attached a link to a neat collection of Texas aircraft- scroll down to see the TX ANG F-86D that I want to do...in God's Own Scale, of course! It's not often an aftermarket guy can also build models!

Mike

http://silverhawkauthor.com/warplane-survivors-usa-texas_285.html

• Like 1

Superbly 'right' look – impressive skills and eye for 'real'.

But only Allah is perfect, as the saying goes. Muslim artists always leave an intentional little 'mistake' in their masterpieces. That's why you didn't fill the joint underneath the tail cone, right? 😉

Great modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Seeing it in real life yesterday and having been duly impressed by the superb metal finish I'm pleased you wrapped up the last loose ends and posted this - good work mate B)

Cheers,

Stew

Thank you Stew, it was great to see you again :D

22 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Luvvly jubbly! Great finish.

22 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

Very nice.  Very clean.  Very crispy.

21 hours ago, Blackfordhibby said:

Beautiful finish, very impressed. One of those "why didn't I think of that" models.

Cheers

21 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Excellent Dog well done.

21 hours ago, russ c said:

Fantastic job on that Jamie, really nice work

21 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Looks like @Sabrejet has created another Sabre monster! Very nice model, Jamie- you did a bang-up job on the nmf, in my opinion. SJ will be proud you corrected the trim tab, too! Well done! I have attached a link to a neat collection of Texas aircraft- scroll down to see the TX ANG F-86D that I want to do...in God's Own Scale, of course! It's not often an aftermarket guy can also build models!

Mike

http://silverhawkauthor.com/warplane-survivors-usa-texas_285.html

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Beautiful SabreDog :clap2:

9 hours ago, Harold55 said:

Excellent job on this!  NMF is my struggle so I can really appreciate the skill required for such a nice finish you have gotten.

19 hours ago, Courageous said:

What they all said.

:goodjob:

Stuart

Thank you all of you for taking the time to leave a comment. It means a lot to me :)

19 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Superbly 'right' look – impressive skills and eye for 'real'.

But only Allah is perfect, as the saying goes. Muslim artists always leave an intentional little 'mistake' in their masterpieces. That's why you didn't fill the joint underneath the tail cone, right? 😉

Great modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hi Joachim, I think we should just go with laziness on my part. I thought about smoothing a join in a concave area with access to only one side, then decided there was a high chance of ruining the finish anyway so just left it 😂

• Like 1