Academy 1/72 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B

Could I suggest you use something very low tac (post it note) to protect the markings even once they are sealed.  Even if you then tape that down with masking tape - don't ask me how I know this but it is worth considering..

10 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Could I suggest you use something very low tac (post it note) to protect the markings even once they are sealed.  Even if you then tape that down with masking tape - don't ask me how I know this but it is worth considering..

Sound advice that may well have prevented quite a tantrum, thank you very much.

Smashing paint job indeed!

About the low tac masking, I will soonish (well, in two weeks or so) try to use masking putty over decals on my stalled winter Harrier.

I feel that nothing can go wrong there...

Post it is very nice on flat surfaces but add a little 1/72 fuselage under it and the post it note will start to fly away.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Smashing paint job indeed!

About the low tac masking, I will soonish (well, in two weeks or so) try to use masking putty over decals on my stalled winter Harrier.

I feel that nothing can go wrong there...

Post it is very nice on flat surfaces but add a little 1/72 fuselage under it and the post it note will start to fly away.

Thank you Christer.

I was actually thinking of masking putty myself, yeah, why not, if it doesn't work you'll know not to try it. 😄

Edit, just found this old thread,

Tamiya tape it is then.

Edited by Roger Newsome

De tac the tamiya tape first though! Stick it onto top of your hand a first, and then onto the model. Otherwise it will lift the decals (which is exactly what happened with my Harrier, and apparently it took the Sqn-markings with it)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Christer A said:

De tac the tamiya tape first though! Stick it onto top of your hand a first, and then onto the model. Otherwise it will lift the decals (which is exactly what happened with my Harrier, and apparently it took the Sqn-markings with it)

Thanks very much for that Christer. 

It didn't come as a total surprise that this happened when the masking tape was removed. 

IMG_6523

But it was a risk worth taking with some valuable lessons learnt and there's decals on the sheet I'm using for another Typhoon, this time NM293 TP-D of 198 Sqn. 

So without further ado, self pity, or smashing the house up I set about rectifying the mess....

IMG_6524

Edited by Roger Newsome
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Invasion stripes came out perfect - well done - looking great thus far...

Thanks very much. The stripes weren't without their problems but this was my first go and I'll have a better idea what I'm doing next time.

Nice save on the stripes. I've had masking tape lift decals before too but it'll probably never happen again - once bitten twice shy and all of that!

Good job not using the Academy decals as well, if they're anything like the ones that came with my Tempest then they'll be awful. Probably some of the worst decals I've ever come across, I needed to virtually use a blowtorch to get the things to sits down.

Edited by Smithy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Ouch. That decal-lifting was not very nice...but the repaint looks very good!

Will there be another Tiffy or Tempest after this one?

Thanks Christer. Will there be more? Too right! 😄 I have the 1/72 Academy Tempest and my wife has got me two 1/48 Hasegawa Typhoons (car door and bubble top) for my birthday in November.

2 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Nice save on the stripes. I've had masking tape lift decals before too but it'll probably never happen again - once bitten twice shy and all of that!

Good job not using the Academy decals as well, if they're anything like the ones that came with my Tempest then they'll be awful. Probably some of the worst decals I've ever come across, I needed to virtually use a blowtorch to get the things to sits down.

Thanks Smithy. I had prior warning about the kit decals, thank heavens. As mentioned above I also have the Academy Tempest but haven't got my hands on any after market decals for it yet but rest assured I will do. 👍