Academy 1/72 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B

Yes, another one. 😁

IMG_6445

I've read online quite a few people have had trouble with the decals in this kit so despite it having the smaller and earlier horizontal stabilizer I will be using Xttadecal sheet X72194 and depicting MN625 MR-B of 625 Sqn.

X72194_3

Although it's mildly irritating I'm going to (try and) force myself to live with that small inaccuracy. 

This was yesterdays work, as very little of the interior will be visible in the finished model I haven't worried to much about it.

IMG_6454

IMG_6455IMG_6457

Today, Sunday, the wings have been dry fitted and I must say the fit of parts so far has been excellent, almost good enough to make me forget the horizontal stab is incorrect.... almost but not quite. 🙂

IMG_6461

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking good so far 👍

Thanks very much Dennis.

9 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Crikey Roger, finished one and started another... good man!

Stuart

Cheers Stuart, I'm trying my best to build them as quick as I buy them, not sure how long I can keep it up for though. 😄

• Like 1

A good number of years ago, I bought two resin sets from SAM, that were offered in their magazine, for the Academy Typhoon kit. One had the larger tailplanes . Though with Airfix's fairly new Tiffy, I may just use the Academy kit to represent an earlier example.

43347456760_5dc4c620e0_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neil5208 said:

How does it compare to the Airfix Typhoon

At the moment I would say the Airfix kit is more accurate, however, so far the Academy kit has gone together beautifully. It will be interesting comparing them when I'm finished. For the price it's well worth giving them both a go.

25 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

A good number of years ago, I bought two resin sets from SAM, that were offered in their magazine, for the Academy Typhoon kit. One had the larger tailplanes . Though with Airfix's fairly new Tiffy, I may just use the Academy kit to represent an earlier example.

43347456760_5dc4c620e0_b.jpg

Chris

Chris, with my limited knowledge of the subject using what you have there I think you should be able to make a pretty accurate model with what's in the Academy box. 

I have no doubt about your skills, Roger. This resin set came out not long after the Academy kit was released. I haven't built that kit yet, but it looks good and is miles above what was out there before it came along. As it has a 3-blade prop option, it's easy to do an earlier, bubble canopy version.

So many kits; so many options; so little time!

Chris

• Like 2

This is the first time I have had a go at spraying invasion stripes. 

IMG_6481

IMG_6483

I don't think that's too bad, however the real challenge of the fuselage stripes is yet to be attempted.

The landing gear flaps are just blu tacked in position for painting the stripes, it will be wheels down. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I shouldn't worry too much about your stripes. In most cases, particularly when first applied, they were applied with brooms, etc...with no masking.

Looks good to me...carry on.

Stuart

Cheers Stuart.

I'm celebrating that minor success with a beer, maybe I should have had a few beforehand for an authentic look.🍻

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Another Tiffy Roger!?

You're making me looking longingly on my stash of them that's for sure.

The decision to paint the stripes was definitely the right one, since they look perfect!

Thanks Christer. I'm looking upon the 1/72 Tiffy builds as practice and research projects before I tackle a couple of 1/48 Hasegawa Tiffy kits. The theory being I'll have a better and clearer idea of what goes where, when and why, (not necessarily in that order). 🙂

For that reason I'm not overly concerned about correcting any errors. As long as I know what they are as I will possibly have another go at a 1/72 but go a bit aftermarket on it.

Edited by Roger Newsome
  • Like 1

Upper surfaces painted with Tamiya XF-82 Ocean Grey and XF-81 Dark Green. I used the masks by AML. 

The plan is to leave this overnight to cure and put a coat of clear on to protect the paintwork and then mask off ready for the upper surface invasion stripes.

IMG_6504IMG_6505

IMG_6506

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Looks good to me.

Stuart

Cheers Stuart.

Next comes the awkward bit, putting the stripes round the fuselage. The plan of attack there is to apply the fuselage decals, seal them in and then mask the markings and add the stripes. Just a scaled down version of how is was done on the real thing. Simple as that, what could possibly go wrong? 😀