1/48 Italeri Hercules - opinions please

speedy

Hi folks, 

in the last 10 years or so I’m a 1/32 builder but I’m getting more tempted by the Italeri Herc. Has anybody made one and to add to that anything I should know before I take the leap of faith. Can you do a C.1 from the 70/80’s and I suppose the engine conversions are a rarity nowadays.

Steve.

Edited by speedy

I made two 30 years ago in the late 80’s. The fuselage comes in 4 sections and fit ok if you sanded and played with them. The wings were pretty straight forward as well from what i remember. The accuracy of the parts i couldn't tell you ? Sorry that's all i can remember,  considering they were recycled some 20 years ago. Sadly i cant look at them to give you anymore ? HTH 

Dennis

• Like 1

I am doing a RAAF C-130E/H, and the Italeri kit is basically accurate and quite simple, given its size.  I think the 1/48th Herc. has accurate engine positioning as opposed to the 1/72 version, but I could stand corrected on this. It is no Tamiya, but I have run into no particular problems with it. It is certainly a broad canvas for your skills and interpretation, give it a go!!

• Like 2

It is a good base to go wild on. The lines are positive or raised, if u care about that then a lot to rescribe, the interior has the basic layout and you can really go to town with cabels, wires, lights etc. the cockpit is basic but enough as you can’t see much once the canopy is on. 

Building. The wings need support, they will tear away the fuslage joint if not supported. Be careful with the clear parts if u loose one of them hard to repair....make sure they are glued well before painting....the main clear part cracks easily and need to use some putty to blend it all in well. Nose weight a tone of it, if u closing the ramp doors, will need some sanding and putty....after market some folks say the engines, i feel the box copies do the part well but lot of clean up and making gaps go away. Lot of flesh and misformed on my copy. There is also a flap set, but i think that requires a lot of work and if you going for an action diorama would have its need plus i think it cost a lot.

i have the verliden way book volume 3, he detailed a 1/48 gunship. Some neat stuff, if you like drop me a pm and I will scan you the relevant pages to give you some idea....i remember loving that as a lad.... i finished one as a commission  build two years back and the onwer really loved it so it was ok for me, if you search the forum you would find the work in progress and Ready for inspection postings...nice aircraft, been close to them whiles growing up my dad was the commanding officer of the base where Malaysian hercs were based at.

best of luck and enjoy yr herc

brian

• Thanks 1

All types of engines are incorrect on the Italeri kits. From memory, the "A" model kit had more or less the right nacelle length in front of the wings, but they were too short under the wings. The E and other kits came the same nacelles, but were therefore incorrect and too short in front of the wing. The J kits have different engine nacelles, but they again are too short.

Attack Squ. made both E/H  and the long J engine nacelles, but they're oop now. There was another resin manufacturer who once made replacement resin engines (was it Cutting Edge? Not sure...) but also long oop.

You may be able to find the Attack Squ sets second hand though.

J

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the subject of the Attack Squadron nacelles, they are very hard to find, but if money is no object, then there's a few sets on eBay being sold in Australia. I thought that Attack Squadron were Polish (so a bit surprised they seem only available in Oz) and that someone had bought them out and that production would continue/resume. Guessing that hasn't happened.

• Like 1

To add to the above you can still get Attack Squadron engines on eBay but at a price.

They also do replacement side sponsons to do a fix in that I read Italeri did not get the measurements right there either.  Again I have not seen sponsons for the early model but those for the later marks are readily available.  I am not sure if you can use the later sponsons on the earlier mark with modification.

Lastly there was an etch set from David Parkins at Flightpath but I don't know if that OOP

• Like 1

Attack squadron resin  was indeed bought, if I remember correctly Blackdog etc. I asked the owner spcifically for the Herc parts.... a yes, but net clear when....

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1