Tamiya Ducati 916

I have this set up on my jig but it's going to be a bit fiddly getting the back wheel on this. Colour is Zero Ducati rosso. I've used bits from the Blue Stuff Senna detail set plus various rivets and things.

45096447582_994d63446c_o.jpg

45096446522_1969c6e946_o.jpg

Edited by gamblor916
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Wonky Donkey said:

Hang on, there's bikes everywhere on here at the minute 👍😁 

Another good looking project gamblor..

I've often wondered if those detail sets are worth it. Never tried one, mainly as they're quite pricey. 

W-D 

We’re staging a takeover W-D, bikers everywhere as far as I can see, doesn’t make us bad people though does it!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wonky Donkey said:

Hang on, there's bikes everywhere on here at the minute 👍😁 

Another good looking project gamblor..

I've often wondered if those detail sets are worth it. Never tried one, mainly as they're quite pricey. 

W-D 

I think the chain and the forks are a big improvement. Everything else you can just paint and detail up by using bits from the spares box.

• 2 years later...

Loving this build, I've had my eye on it for a while and hoping mine will look half as good when complete.  I have the kit and do the odd bit here and there when I can, very slow progress.

The exhaust springs are a great detail, no idea how that is done, and are the forks from a detail up set?  I've seen one 916 build using the Ducati Desmo forks.

I want to try and remove the fairing screws too, I've seen magnets used on a few builds.

Els

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Els46 said:

Loving this build, I've had my eye on it for a while and hoping mine will look half as good when complete.  I have the kit and do the odd bit here and there when I can, very slow progress.

The exhaust springs are a great detail, no idea how that is done, and are the forks from a detail up set?  I've seen one 916 build using the Ducati Desmo forks.

I want to try and remove the fairing screws too, I've seen magnets used on a few builds.

Els

Springs are aftermarket. Just bend some wire for the attachment loops. Forks are from the kit, just paint them up and apply mirror foil for the stanchions.

Magnets are one option for fairings but I prefer posts and sockets.

43198477112_bde6569a66_o.jpg

43198476692_fd8506c31d_o.jpg

43198475832_dcf74d09bc_o.jpg

43198475132_f8afcb477a_o.jpg

43247350781_a9d4b565d1_o.jpg

28378233297_663649e3d9_o.jpg  

• Like 4

On 10/02/2021 at 02:35, gamblor916 said:

Springs are aftermarket. Just bend some wire for the attachment loops. Forks are from the kit, just paint them up and apply mirror foil for the stanchions.

Magnets are one option for fairings but I prefer posts and sockets.

43198476692_fd8506c31d_o.jpg

43198475832_dcf74d09bc_o.jpg

43198475132_f8afcb477a_o.jpg

43247350781_a9d4b565d1_o.jpg

28378233297_663649e3d9_o.jpg  

Thank you G, this is my first attempt in about 20 years tackling a Tamiya model kit and to try all these new techniques.  They really do make a difference to the overall look.

I will post some pics up as and when... I've got some Marchesini 916 and Marchesini M9RS forged magnesium wheels I drew up being 3d printed by Shapeways as I type.  Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Els

Edited by Els46

On 10/02/2021 at 22:40, gamblor916 said:

I'd like to see your prints. Sounds interesting. I have a couple of wheels to print as well for some later builds.

spacer.png

spacer.png

They look really nice, a lot more detailed than mine.

I wasn't sure how detailed to go with the fine detail plastic... I also tweaked a few of the dimensions from my original design to be able fit some slick tyres I took off of a H2R.

Hoping once sanded, primed, painted, decals applied etc, they won't look so chunky.

Wheel colour is up in the air too.

Els

FDP - Marchesini Wheel Mix 2021

Edited by Els46
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Gamblor. I have the Blue Stuff Senna detail up set and I'm wondering if you could share some wisdom.

Are the brake discs glued onto the resin hub?  Or does the hub go on the outside of the disc and then press fitted in place / brake discs sandwiched between the wheel and the resin hub?  If that makes sense.

On 10/03/2021 at 03:11, gamblor916 said:

Discs are in between wheel and hub. Shave a bit off the hub as it get a bit tight there. Also just noticed the hose came loose.

spacer.png

Thank you!  I've had to sand the front wheel back as I dropped it and chipped the paint... I didn't mask the centre of the wheel either... so the hub is super tight.

Did you make the hexagonal piece to give the hub edge more surface area?  The hub is very small, I feel like too much pressure will break it.

Sorry my mistake those are plastic parts. I had to dig through my parts box to see what I did. From what I remember I didn't like the look of the resin parts and cut out the centre of the brake discs for the hub. So it's inaccurate but stronger. It should be circular and thinner. The discs glue directly to the wheel. The axle is a 1.2mm brass tube.

• Like 1

On 14/03/2021 at 23:01, gamblor916 said:

Sorry my mistake those are plastic parts. I had to dig through my parts box to see what I did. From what I remember I didn't like the look of the resin parts and cut out the centre of the brake discs for the hub. So it's inaccurate but stronger. It should be circular and thinner. The discs glue directly to the wheel. The axle is a 1.2mm brass tube.

Thanks Gamblor, really appreciate all your advice.  I drilled out the rear sprocket this evening to fit the resin nut that comes with the blue stuff kit.

Didn't realise how long a small job like that takes 😂 I will be lucky to finish the bike by next year at this rate.

• Like 1