Prestwick today.

huvut76g7gbbui7

Brilliant. It looks so small. But I have several memories of similar situations. Once in the back of a C172 at Dublin Airport as we waited to line up. A British Midland DC9 taxyed right up to us, really close. I wasn't sure if he was making a point about the little aeroplane blocking his way or he was having a laugh. 

My first solo was at Dublin Airport. I was no.3 to a 747 and 737 in my little Cessna 150 as I lined up. Cue various jokey comments from the airline crews. None designed to increase my confidence. 

The flight went Ok but with little time to relax as ATC kept me at 500 feet and urged me to keep the speed up on finals because of line traffic bearing down on me. No pressure then.😳

But my moment came in Memphis Tennessee some years later. I taxyed out in my little C150. A busy airport with a line of Northwest DC9s and others on the taxyway. I was cleared ahead of them and watched as they braked one by one, their noses dipping like those toy drinking birds you used to get.

Another time I was at Burlington, Vermont airport in a C150. The tower cleared  me ahead of of flight of Vermont ANG F16s. I commented that we were costing the US government money. The US pilot with me corrected me. It's taxpayers money.

I love America in aviation terms.

My favourite moment though was at Ronaldsway on the IOM during TT week. As we were about to depart. The Red Arrows arrived. We were directed to a remote dispersal in our C172. The Reds taxyed past us, many of them waving to us. Then we were cleared to follow them. Yes for one glorious moment I was Red ten. Sort of 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Prestwick's gain is Mildenhall's loss these days since the 727 AMS reduced their pax/cargo opening times at the 'Hall' Sign of things to come I guess. Lovely pictures BTW.

Mark

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

or is this more par for the course now?

KC-135s are regular visitors. Rumour had three to visit this weekend but they've not arrived yet but given that it was nearly dark at 2 o'clock today it wasn't worth going down.

KC-10s are occasional visitors as are the C-5s

C-17s have been in quite a lot lately and we get C-130s,C-21s,C-12s and U-28s passing through too.

C-17 07-0170 came in last night. It was a first visit from the Pittsburgh unit since they traded in their Hercs. Here's yesterday's C-17:

resized_5400e08d-c328-42e8-abf0-9a393625

As all parked over at HMS Gannet side it made an interesting panorama.

• Like 4

Apparently it's when you get lots of 'Camber' callsigns coming over the pond that things are happening. Camber is the callsign of flights chartered by USTRANSCOM.

Great pictures Scimitar, is that the pre-airside car park you were shooting from? ;)

Tim

Nice shots.

The contrast between the KC-10 and the Cessna reminds me of a favourite story I once read, in which a Cherokee was holding for a cargo DC-8 to land at an airport somewhere in the US. The DC-8 made a somewhat heavy landing, after which the controller gave the Cherokee permission to take off. A cocky comment came from the DC-8, along the lines of "cute little aeroplane? Did you build it yourself?"

"Yes," came the reply. "And if you land like that again I'll have enough parts to make another one."

• Haha 3