1/72 Sea Venom FAW. 21 CMR

This was my first resin kit build. It was built for someone who had a brother that flew the type with the Royal Navy No, 892 NAS.  The person gave a generous donation to two charities in return;  the RN Association and RAFAC. Much appreciated. 

I have built resin cockpits and engines in the past but taking on a whole kit looked like an interesting challenge.  There was nothing terrifying and I would certainly do it again. 

IMG_5392

The parts are shown below, all of which needed the usual preparation and filling of a few bubble holes here and there. 

IMG_5422

And the level of detail is pretty good, as is the case with resin. 

IMG_5399

Included was a nice selection of PE parts, with cockpit panels pre-painted. These were by Eduard. CMR saw sense to include 2 cockpit canopies to allow for errors in cutting it out.  

IMG_5396

• Like 10

The first task was cleaning up the parts and removing excess resin from the cockpit parts and then giving them an initial coat in preparation for detailing the cockpit. 

IMG_5440

The Eduart PE adds a level of detail to the seats and also the instrument panel, all of which worked fine other than sanding to get the parts to fit well. 

IMG_5463

• Like 9

Next was building in the cockpit and the instrument panel. Highlighting edges was done using Citadel paints as they brush so well. 

IMG_5533

IMG_5535

There is a good-sized space in the nose for that ever important but often forgotten, nose weight. 

• Like 15

• 2 months later...

Some further progress on the model. No major dramas and parts fitted quite well considering it is a resin kit. 

IMG_5538

The airframe comes together.  There were a few small air bubbles, especially on the leading edge, but these were easily filled.  

IMG_5547

IMG_5548

IMG_5550

• Like 6

A few coats of primer came next to highlight the blemishes and where surface prep was not good enough. 

IMG_5554

And this shot nicely shows the detail in the flaps and wheel wells. 

IMG_5557

• Like 8

Next went on a layer of Humbrol Acrylic yellow for the Suez identification stripes. I hardly ever use Humbrol paint as I don't seem to get on with them. Their paints do not seem to have good coverage and require many more layers than my go-to-paint which is Gunze. I can't blame the paint as it obviously sells and I know that paints and their use is very much a personal matter. However, if anyone else has had the same experience and has a solution, please let me know as they have a good range. 

Getting the canopy to fit well and without inappropriate seems & gaps was a barrel of laughs! As was masking it. 

IMG_5614

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

After the yellow, down went the black and then I masked off the recognition stripes and applied the underside colour. That was then masked off in preparation for the top side dark grey. 

IMG_5674

IMG_5677

Once dried off, the masking was removed to reveal the finished main paintwork. 

IMG_5684

IMG_5686

IMG_5687

• Like 10

And the finished model.  It was a pleasure to build and raise some money for the RN Association (who sent a very nice thank you letter) and RAFAC.  First resin model I have built (other than detail bits like engines) and I am looking for another suitable 1/72 kit to do. 

Thanks all for the nice comments. 

IMG_5868

IMG_5870

IMG_5871

• Like 17

Lovely model Justin . Great work.  I would love one of these, but the idea of building a whole resin kit has always put me off, I am not sure why, but it frightens me somehow. Although this seems the only way to get a decent Sea Venom without a ton of work on the old Frog kit.

What a cracking result.

All the best

Chris