1:72 AZ Model Supermarine Attacker

33 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Well. I have several Seafire kits in this stash, just none built yet. So I guess that means I'm not a freak?  Although Mrs. Bird would beg to differ. Now let's see...Sea Hornet - check, have the Special Hobby kit in the stash. Firebrand - check, got the CMR resin kit. Sea Venom - check, been there, done that with the CMR kit:

IMG_0076

But do you have one of these......?

23542914058_072b27cc84_b.jpg

The Mighty Sea Balliol!!!

Trevor 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Looks a bit rough, but the important point of alignment is viewed from outside the fuselage, looking into the intake. Part number 10 is the continuation of the fuselage side as it enters the intake area.

The forward edge of part 10 is where the boundary layer intakes are, so the outboard side of part 10 could sit slightly proud of the outer fuselage forward of it to represent this? Visible in bottom photo here and in the cutaway here. Design of the boundary intakes is as per the Scimitar, so there is the alternative of fitting parts 10 flush and fabricating the intakes to fit after painting like you did with your CMR scimitar build.

• Like 1

Seafires?

How did them damn things get into a Nattacker build?

Any road up, can I pop in on odd occasions?

Just to warm my hands at the bar, grab a passing pint and take note of another Navy Bird masterclass?

And so far the class is already getting the real deal, nice Bill

I think I sold my little Froglet one but I love a Navy Bird build, so I'm watching

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I hope its stronger than the stuff you tried to get me Squiffy on at Telford! 🍻 I may have the tentacles of a weak and feeble Martian but I have the heart and stomach of a Galactic Mega-Elephant! :elephant:

For the benefit of fellow Britmodellers who have not had the pleasure of meeting Our Favourite Martian, I can confirm the galactic elephant-ness. When I was awarded the opportunity to dine with our Alien friend at the RAF Museum Cafe, the fish 'n' chips disappeared from his plate faster than a Supermarine Attacker sans belly tank runs out of fuel.   :)

43 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Aha, another set of sprues to add to the bulging stash!    :)

37 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

The forward edge of part 10 is where the boundary layer intakes are, so the outboard side of part 10 could sit slightly proud of the outer fuselage forward of it to represent this? Visible in bottom photo here and in the cutaway here. Design of the boundary intakes is as per the Scimitar, so there is the alternative of fitting parts 10 flush and fabricating the intakes to fit after painting like you did with your CMR scimitar build.

Hmm...I didn't know that. Well, I will have to see how I can fake replicate the boundary layer vanes. There's not a lot of room there. I should have suspected this, as I have the Birtles book that covers the Attacker, Swift, and Scimitar. They all seem to have similar intakes. Thanks for pointing this out.

23 minutes ago, perdu said:

Any road up, can I pop in on odd occasions?

You can even pop in on even occasions! All Bills are welcome. Well, except those that need to be paid.

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

For the benefit of fellow Britmodellers who have not had the pleasure of meeting Our Favourite Martian, I can confirm the galactic elephant-ness. When I was awarded the opportunity to dine with our Alien friend at the RAF Museum Cafe, the fish 'n' chips disappeared from his plate faster than a Supermarine Attacker sans belly tank runs out of fuel.   :)

Well, I had come all the way from Mars to meet you. I was always going to be hungry! :eat: Just be thankful I had not come all the way from Mars to eat you!

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I hope its stronger than the stuff you tried to get me Squiffy on at Telford! 🍻 I may have the tentacles of a weak and feeble Martian but I have the heart and stomach of a Galactic Mega-Elephant! :elephant:

Martian 👽

The Westmaale was the one you have favoured on these 2 great days at Telford.

Now, I can bring on some stronger stuff...:evil_laugh:

I never wanted to get you squiffy, it was just sharing some local productions. Let's say sharing some cultural things !

(Is this a good enough british understatement ?)

And I never doubted of your capacities Oh Dear Beer monster :rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 2

Hello Bill,

Good start, The PE louvres... I will see how you're coping with this, I messed up mine the first time I tried it.

Now, I'll use some plasticard instead.

Sincerely.

CC

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Trevor 

Mmmh a 1/48 Sea Balliol, Where should I sign up ?

Did'nt have her yet !

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Mmmh a 1/48 Sea Balliol, Where should I sign up ?

Did'nt have her yet !

Sincerely.

CC

I live in hope that Airfix will See The Light😢

Trevor

• Like 1

6 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

May be calling it "The attacker gang "??

Yeeep.....almost, as:

816178cd711f82b8a1409fd949191156.jpg

😁😁😁

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Maybe the same sort of person that has no Sea Fury, Buccaneer, Sea Vixen, Scimitar, Barracuda

.....person that has no

Sea Fury, Buccaneer, Barracuda....I agree......but 😲 Sea Vixen & Scimitar (????):

9cd4a2ac6fac4d861875edefd3400869.jpg

😁😁😁

Resource

all pictures Vasya Lozhkin site: 

http://vasya-lozhkin.ru/pictures/

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Trevor 

I leave WIP for 24 hours and youre  already on page 2. Not only the lovely Attacker but you've discussed Seafires, Balliols, Sea Hornets, Firebrands and a plea for a Sea Prince. At least I'm presently building a Seafire, have completed a few and have oodles more in the stash. I've built a Frogspawn Attacker but I have finished a Sea Balliol

resized_60d7d522-af0f-424c-a5f7-a89fc33b

Sorry for the interjection, I promise I'll sit quietly at the back from now on and absorb the learning for when I drag my Attacker out. 

• Like 9

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 04:28, stevehnz said:

Hmmm, think I better keep an eye on this too having got one of the other boxings of this kit, its one of THOSE  boxes too. :( Also got a Frog spawn one in a plathtic bag, Have long wondered whether to get silly & build it up with the benefits of Falcon, Airwaves & Modeldecal stuff or use the wings to built a Spitfire with Spiteful wings prototype. :unsure:

Steve.

Get silly Steve, you know you want to and I can thoroughly recommend it!

Martian 👽

• Like 2

I must say I'm tempted, I recall a build somewhere, not sure if here or elsewhere which turned out superbly which is why I now have the AM I mentioned. I'm kind of hoping Bill can show me the way to salvation isn't down that road though. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Teuchter said:

Isn't it the Cosford Twin Pin? If so, all 3 now available in styrene!

I think you’re right.  Apart from anything else, the angle is wrong for a Sea Prince - not to mention the colour.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 6:21 PM, Max Headroom said:

or any of these ?  (HMS Fulmar 1961 air day preparations. I was 8 and got to sit in the Voodoo.)

Fleet-Air-Arm-Line-Up-1961-Original-Rnas

To get us back on track,somewhere I remember a photo of 736's Attackers lined up at Lossie. Still looking..  EDIT. Found it.

15 Attackers of 736 Squadron at HMS Fulmar in 1954. I wish I could say I remember them flying over the house but I was only 1 at the time!

For those who kow the airfield that's K17 hangar where the Shackeltons and later XV's Tornadoes used to live.

c2fea52c-cb30-4e26-bb26-de6f19ef62b9.jpg

Edited by Scimitar
photo added.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I live in hope that Airfix will See The Light😢

Trevor

Hello Trevor,

Seemingly, and as far as we can believe the guys of the Airfix stand at Telford, a 1/48 Scimitar is possible in a few months.

I will not make any comments about their reaction when I asked for an Avro Bison or a Blackburn Blackburn :rofl2:

With the same caution, they answered "I can say nothing about it" about a Beaufort 😱

Living in hope is quite right, the big fat mama has not find the way yet to tax it :rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Scimitar said:

1554900-large.jpg?w=656&h=300&crop=1

It took me a quite some time until I saw exactly how they kept this gate guard off the ground. Sneaky B/W photo!

The Attacker is a Spitfire too far for me, the ultimate example that you cannot stretch a design indefinitely but that you have to start over when the design criterias and available technology has moved forward.

Something I wish the upper management could realize at my work....but I digress.

I'd be very interested in seeing what you'll make of this Bill!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Yes..Cosford's one

14354.jpg

😁😁😁

What a strange restoration of the Shcherbakov Shche-2

she2-i.jpg

in Cosford!?

😁😁😁

4 hours ago, Christer A said:

The Attacker is a Spitfire too far for me, the ultimate example that you cannot stretch a design indefinitely but that you have to start over when the design criterias and available technology has moved forward.

You have forgotten that after the Attacker a type 510 followed, after type 517=> type 535  which then transformed into type 541 and which then became a Swift.  Thus, to some extent, Swift is the development of Spitfirе!

;) :)

But it's no extraordinary!

However, if you trace the lineage of the MiG-21 through the chain

MiG-15 => MiG-17 => SM-1 => SM-2/1 => SM-2/2        => MiG-19 => SM-12/3 => SM-12PM => E-2 => E-4 => E-5 => MiG-21(E-6)

, then we can conclude that the MiG-21 is the development of the MiG-15!

And if it were not for the problems with the engine and the general worlds mania swept wings, it is not known what the branch of the MiG-21 in the form of E-8 would lead to.

e.t.c...e.t.c

;) :)

Modeling is so good that if you do it systematically, then you can trace the evolution of collection objects, you can compare the incomparable, then in real life there was almost no chance of being around, such as Twin Pioneer & Shcherbakov Shche-2 ..... and understand how successful my joke was "about restoration".

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The simple joy of a white styrene sheet...and a man with a razor blade.

IMG_2678

This was made with 0.010" thick stock, with the vanes a bit more than 0.5mm high. Did you see how deftly I moved between two incompatible units of measurement? This boy paid attention in metrology class. I tried to use 0.005" stock, but it's "wafer thin" and didn't work well. The vanes are quite solidly in place on the larger piece, so I think I can sand them down so the vanes are not quite as high. As is always the case with these magnified photos of small parts, this looks much better in real life.

I posed the intake lip in place, without bothering to clean it up first. The intake lip needs some reshaping, but this photo gives you an idea.

IMG_2679

I think this will work for me. But I'm easy to please.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 19