1:72 AZ Model Supermarine Attacker

14 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

She's the clipped wing version, intended to outperform those pesky Fw 190s in low level combat.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

So, Bill, You next version, will be long ellipse 

wing 

Attacker for Ju-86R high level intercept?

😲😁

B.R.

Serge

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, CedB said:

Those aerials look great Bill and the landing sight is perfect!

Thanks, Ced. I love all that minute fiddly photoetch stuff...well, I like it when it's all done, but cutting it out and putting it on can be a royal pain.

12 hours ago, perdu said:

Those radalt antennae

Want want

Much better than mine on the Gannet

I got the radar altimeter antennae from the photoetch fret leftover when I built my CMR 1:72 Sea Venom. For some reason, the version I made (Australian) didn't use them, so they were perfect for this build. Much better than the ones in the Airwaves set.

Now, I'll have you know that one of them went "zing" into the ether when I was getting ready to put it on. I crawled around on the floor for hours with a torch and magnifying lens but I could not find it. I decided to go through my stash and see if I had anything similar. I found them in my 1:72 CMR Firebrand kit, so I used one of those. They were identical! This will leave me at a loss when I get around to building the Firebrand, though, so I will have to search through all the aftermarket to see if I can find more.

Another interesting tidbit - I drilled tiny holes in the fuselage to accept the antennae and landing sight using a 0.014" drill. I used a minuscule bit of superglue, and they are on quite solid. However, somehow the superglue on the front antenna managed to migrate and fill in part of the gap between the two posts. Arghh. It was noticeable, so I had to fix it somehow - I thought maybe I could slide a scalpel blade between them but no luck. I ended up using some superglue remover with a small paintbrush and managed to get it all out. Whew. I love photoetch. Kinda. Sorta.

10 hours ago, Aardvark said:

So, Bill, You next version, will be long ellipse wing Attacker for Ju-86R high level intercept?

Hmmm...a pointy winged Attacker. Now that would look really strange. But I like strange, strange is good.

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Looking the Biz Bill.

Thanks Stuart. She doesn't look half bad for something that is basically the same shape as my Grandfather's old stogie.

I don't know if I'll accomplish much today, as I'm on my way to see my Dad in the hospital. He's 90 and his caught some nasty pneumonia and is not doing so well. Family first.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks, Ced. I love all that minute fiddly photoetch stuff...well, I like it when it's all done, but cutting it out and putting it on can be a royal pain.

I got the radio altimeter antennae from the photoetch fret leftover when I built my CMR 1:72 Sea Venom. For some reason, the version I made (Australian) didn't use them, so they were perfect for this build. Much better than the ones in the Airwaves set.

Now, I'll have you know that one of them went "zing" into the ether when I was getting ready to put it on. I crawled around on the floor for hours with a torch and magnifying lens but I could not find it. I decided to go through my stash and see if I had anything similar. I found them in my 1:72 CMR Firebrand kit, so I used one of those. They were identical! This will leave me at a loss when I get around to building the Firebrand, though, so I will have to search through all the aftermarket to see if I can find more.

Another interesting tidbit - I drilled tiny holes in the fuselage to accept the antennae and landing sight using a 0.014" drill. I used a minuscule bit of superglue, and they are on quite solid. However, somehow the superglue on the front antenna managed to migrate and fill in part of the gap between the two posts. Arghh. It was noticeable, so I had to fix it somehow - I thought maybe I could slide a scalpel blade between them but no luck. I ended up using some superglue remover with a small paintbrush and managed to get it all out. Whew. I love photoetch. Kinda. Sorta.

Hmmm...a pointy winged Attacker. Now that would look really strange. But I like strange, strange is good.

Thanks Stuart. She doesn't look half bad for something that is basically the same shape as my Grandfather's old stogie.

I don't know if I'll accomplish much today, as I'm on my way to see my Dad in the hospital. He's 90 and his caught some nasty pneumonia and is not doing so well. Family first.

Cheers,

Bill

My best wishes for your father, Bill !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

About pointy &

clipped wing version.....just recently, I read a funny story in one Russan aviation magazine in an article about a famous test pilot, MiG Design Bureau.

How we know very-very first prototype MiG-21 as Ye-5 have 

pointy  wing:

e5-i.jpg

But from Ye-6, MiG-21 have clipped wing:

mig21f-5.jpg

Why did it happen?

This test pilot recalled: “Once, I go to the factory  where the prototype MiG-21

was made and there stands Vano Mikoyan (Artem Mikoyan’s brother) and with a hacksaw for metal saws the prototype MiG-21 wing tips! Then he forced two very experienced workers to rivet beautifully the cutting place. So MiG-21 had

clipped wings. Why did he do that? He was afraid that the

pointy wings would create a flutter*! "

This is the interesting story of the development of

pointy/clipped wings

MiG-21 and story about epoch  when the big bosses did not hesitate to pick up the hacksaw and do the work of a simple worker....

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I don't know if I'll accomplish much today, as I'm on my way to see my Dad in the hospital. He's 90 and his caught some nasty pneumonia and is not doing so well.

Health and good luck to your father!

* - whaaaat? No English article in Wikipedia about 

flutter??? 

https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Флаттер_(авиация)

B.R.

Serge

• Like 4

That particular radar antenna (inverted T) was always installed in pairs about that far apart. Presumably, one antenna emitted a ping and the other detected the return from the ground or water below, with the elapsed time providing the altitude. If you look closely, you’ll see them in various locations on the fuselage, wings (F9F Panther), and horizontal tail (F2H-3/4). Scroll down here for a pair on an F4U. http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2014/03/f4u-4-modelers-notes.html

• Like 2

As one old fa*t to another Bill I wish your father the very best, its a toughie at 90 + but the medics these days are almost magicians

Get well soon Bill's dad, we're on your side sir

As for those antennae on the Gannet they are fitted under the tailplanes, it would appear the distance apart was vital as maybe also angular off-linedness, I expect semiconductor processors took away the need for separation

I wish someone made an etch sheet with such items on it, not only to cover losses too

Fresh parts in 'thin' instead of the slight over scale look of injection moulded pieces would be a detailer's dream

How about those tiny triangular ones that dot the airframes of so many modern jets?

Where did I put that Fritag last time we had him here...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, perdu said:

I wish someone made an etch sheet with such items on it, not only to cover losses too

That would be a most useful and popular set Bill. As you say, the sort of thing Mr Fritag could put his alchemistic tendencies towards? Might even have a go myself one day.............🤔

Terry

• Like 2

Lovely work on the Attacker, I know what awaits me when I pull mine from the stash. 

I hope your father improves, my mum is 92 next month and a constant worry and so I can appreciate your concern. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Sorry to hear about your dad Bill, always family first. Wishing him well.

Terry

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your concern. I just got back from visiting Dad today, and he's coming along. He seemed a little better than yesterday. They are keeping him in the acute elderly care section, and he's in a private room. I expect he will be there for several more days - but his doctor says once they have administered all their good stuff and he's stable, it's important to get him home and out of this environment. It's too easy for an elderly patient to catch something really nasty. Keep the fingers crossed!   :)

When I got home from the hospital last night, I managed to finish the Attacker. Or at least I think I've finished her, as there are no parts left. I'll try to get some photos tonight.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 8

Hey, you know what? There was a part left - that beautifully bulbous belly tank. But I ain't gonna put it on, 'cause I like it this way.

IMG_2753

That old AZ gal cleaned up OK, I guess.

Well, it's time to get back to work on that big Spitfire. The marvelous Merlin is the next mini-project on that build. Should be fun, since I know nothing about Merlins, but I suspect I will have to research what the correct firing order is so the plug wires can be run correctly, or some crazy thing like that.

RFI for the Attacker will be up shortly.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I left in at least one mistake on the Attacker because only God is perfect.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2