1:72 AZ Model Supermarine Attacker

Hey, remember me? Still alive and well, as John Dillinger proclaimed as he was walking out of the theatre.   :)

Anyway, I just got back from Florida, and there is something about humidity which defies the law of thermodynamic equilibrium that doesn't agree with me. I know they say you get used to it, but man, all that sweating - I had to summon up my former life as a dog just so I could stick out my tongue and pant to supplement my cooling. Ugh. Of course, as I suspect I've complained told you before, wifey and both daughters are Disney addicts, so half of my retirement portfolio goes to buying trinkets shaped like a mouse. And of course, we had to go down for the first (of many!) holiday parties in the Tragic Kingdom reserved for Disney Vacation Club members, which of course we are (which is where the other half of my retirement portfolio goes). Imagine this, you only have to pay an additional $110 (beside the normal admission fee) so you and 50,000 other fools can go to the four hour long party and wait in line for three hours to get a free cookie. This bugs me since, well, I didn't think of it first and thereby become fabulously wealthy. But at least the cookie was shaped like a, er, cookie and not a mouse.

I'm back to work on the Attacker and am just finishing up the scratch building of the arresting hook bay. I think it's just about ready for some primer so I can admire my mistakes. Photos as soon as I download 12GB of Disney pictures from my camera.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Whilst sitting through a live action Little Mermaid show, I couldn't help but wonder what's under those sea shells she's wearing.

PPS. We're going back to Florida in January - because we wifey and daughters just can't stay away.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, giemme said:

I'm not envying, not even the slightest trace of envy... sorry :shrug:

If there was any envy, I would question your sanity.   :bangin:

To be honest, I only do it for the grandkids who seem to enjoy it.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Di double tee oh!

Oh no, spelling games! Give me numbers, I was better at arithmetic.    :)

51 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Woo hoo, I'm not the only one. :D

Yeah, I wanted to reach around and snip that little string...but wifey says I'm too old for that.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Of course, as I suspect I've complained told you before, wifey and both daughters are Disney addicts, so half of my retirement portfolio goes to buying trinkets shaped like a mouse. And of course, we had to go down for the first (of many!) holiday parties in the Tragic Kingdom reserved for Disney Vacation Club members, which of course we are (which is where the other half of my retirement portfolio goes). Imagine this, you only have to pay an additional $110 (beside the normal admission fee) so you and 50,000 other fools can go to the four hour long party and wait in line for three hours to get a free cookie.

Immediately return from Disney cartoons to the Navy! Attacker with airbrush calling!! 

This (Russian

cartoon 

version of R.Stevenson "Treasure Island"....Navy! ...Pirates!

...Big Guns!!! 😁) as a motivation to return:

😁😁😁

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

PS. Whilst sitting through a live action Little Mermaid show, I couldn't help but wonder what's under those sea shells she's wearing.

The appearance of the mermaids and their defiant behavior almost always creates many questions for the gentleman, as an example russian-armenian version of mermaid:

😁😁

B.R.

Serge

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Aardvark said:

The appearance of the mermaids and their defiant behavior almost always creates many questions for the gentleman, as an example russian-armenian version of mermaid:

This was just about the strangest mermaid cartoon I've ever seen. I wasn't aware mermaids had a fish for a head, to begin with. But I liked it for some reason...

2 hours ago, Timmas said:

I'd give in if I were you Bill and adopt this as your new avatar...

What was it that Weird Al once sang? "I'd rather rip out my intestines with a fork." No, wait, that's not the one - how about this: "I'd rather clean all the bathrooms in Grand Central Station with my tongue." Or perhaps "I'd rather have my blood sucked out by leeches and shove an ice pick under a toenail or two." And, of course "I'd rather dive into a swimming pool filled with double-edged razor blades."

As you can tell, it's only the finest in lyrical entertainment for me!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Timmas said:

I'd give in if I were you Bill and adopt this as your new avatar...

Screen-Shot-2018-11-12-at-13-31-33.png

Do You suggest Bill to put on the avatar a cross section of the Hog fuselage

1024px-A10WarthogFront.jpg

near the engines? 

😁😁😁

But where Hog and where Navy??

49 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

What was it that Weird Al once sang? "I'd rather rip out my intestines with a fork." No, wait, that's not the one - how about this: "I'd rather clean all the bathrooms in Grand Central Station with my tongue." Or perhaps "I'd rather have my blood sucked out by leeches and shove an ice pick under a toenail or two." And, of course "I'd rather dive into a swimming pool filled with double-edged razor blades."

As you can tell, it's only the finest in lyrical entertainment for me!   :)

Yes, I agree ... A-10 design solutions for specific connoisseurs of technical aesthetics!

😁😁😁

B.w. Fairchild A-10

have in Russian modeller (...and maybe  military?) unofficial slang

nickname 

Cheburashka* ( and also nickname Cheburashka have Antonov An-72).

Who is Mr.Cheburashka? 🤔😁

Cheburashka

is 

a strange cartoon persons:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheburashka

B.R.

Serge

Resource photo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_Republic_A-10_Thunderbolt_II

http://benjamin.tschukalov.info/notepad/0017.html

* - just for fun some modern subculture art  about 

Cheburashka:

gena_13.jpg

652741.jpg

652815.jpg

655954.jpg

655958.jpg

gena_07.jpg

gena_16.jpg

.photo1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Hey, remember me? Still alive and well,

That's better than me then. I walked into the local model shop the other week only to be asked by the owner what I was doing there. I asked what did he think I was doing in a model shop and had he taken leave of his senses? He replied that the word on the street was that I was dead and had been for some weeks! Following further questioning, he assured me that he was not winding me up and that people really were going around saying that I had died. Now, I concede that sometimes I am not the most observant of aliens but I do think that even I would have noticed if I had shuffled off this mortal coil or at the very least that someone would have told me! I can only conclude therefore that BM not only has the distinction of being the only modelling forum to have an alien as a member but the only one to have a real live/dead ghost as well. 👻 I really should be charging you lot for this double honour!

Deceased of Mars 👽

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, stevehnz said:

I was unsure how to react to that, but I do hope that reports of your demise being premature remain so for a long while yet. :)

Steve.

I must admit it was one of the more bizarre moments in my life.

Martian 👽

• Sad 1

But how do we know it's really Martian posting these messages? Perhaps it's some fourth-dimensional entity that's taken over his body. After all, anyone who associates with satanic cowpats is a prime candidate for possession.    🤖

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I promise some modelling is coming soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ah but

It is a good idea to ponder the universe's really odd stuff

But you should just do what I do

I do not belieeeeeve it

The Alien I met at Telford looks to be genetically identical to the one I met there in 2017

Probably not deaddd...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

But how do we know it's really Martian posting these messages? Perhaps it's some fourth-dimensional entity that's taken over his body. After all, anyone who associates with satanic cowpats is a prime candidate for possession.    🤖

Only you could confuse the issue still further Bill. Now even I don't know what entity I am!

Wibble! 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I promised some modelling, so here we go!   :)

You may remember how the arresting hook bay looked like out of the box. I think AZ was trying to capture the look of the rear fuselage as it's in the process of melting when take-off is attempted whilst the arresting hook and wire are engaged:

IMG_2680

Lovely, innit? I grabbed a bunch of white plastic and did my best imitation of our Martian friend. There is a bit of putty here and there as well:

IMG_2695

Actually, it looks a bit better with some paint on it.

IMG_2700

It's not perfect of course, but it should suffice. You may have noticed that I also built a small well for the tail wheel, and used the kit part for its strut and axle. This part is not authentic, but once the wheels are on and the doors in place you really won't see much of this. I'm going to have to scratch build the arresting hook, as the one that comes with the kit is a bit wonky. The arms on the kit part are square in cross section, and from the one good photo I have of the real thing, they should be round.

Here is a shot of the entire model at present:

IMG_2698

The conformal fuel tank has not yet been added, and to be honest I like the look of the aircraft much better without it. The tank supplied with the kit fits reasonably well, but it makes the aircraft look like it's had too much pizza and beer. I assume these tanks were not a permanent addition to the airframe, but I don't know. I guess if you wanted to get back to the carrier and recover safely, you needed the tank. What do you guys think? Can I leave the tank off?

There are some linkages on the main gear legs that are not supplied with the kit, so these will need to be scratched. I'm also considering opening up the canopy - I hedge a bit on that one as only one canopy is supplied so I'll only have one chance to ruin it cut it open properly.

I also plan on folding the wing tips, so my next operation is to cut them off! The Airwaves photoetch set has some nice pieces that will make the folding mechanism look suitably busy. They are designed for the Frog kit, but I made some measurements and it seems to me that they will work with the AZ kit too. Once I cut off the wing tips, though, there's no going back...

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Here is the reason why I do all that Disney stuff (from the left Carter, Finley, Rooney, and Leah):

kids

pluto

Carter is thinking "You know, all that commotion about being a dwarf planet and all...he looks like a dog to me!"

PPS. Here I am hiding my face so no one will recognize me:

splash

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

PS. Here is the reason why I do all that Disney stuff (from the left Carter, Finley, Rooney, and Leah):

Plenty of reasons for travelling to Florida, grandpa Bill - no doubt about that! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2

I lived in Florida for 7 years and made a point of staying well away from anything Disneyish! Even more so of staying away from flights back to the UK out of Orlando. I did it once, 7 hours of screaming kids convinced me never to do it again!

Ian

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Only you could confuse the issue still further Bill. Now even I don't know what entity I am!

To paraphrase (but I'm not gonna tell you the source- it's a quiz!)  "Martian only pawn in game of life."  Glad to hear that you, at least, don't think you're dead.  Of course, you could be dead wrong?

Attacker- yes, quite agree about the tank- like some kind of pregnant tropical fish- but I suspect that attempting aviation without it was frowned upon.  Edit: just started looking at the pilot's notes.  Internal fuel 293 gallons, belly tank 250.  Rather a significant contribution!

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

That's better than me then. I walked into the local model shop the other week only to be asked by the owner what I was doing there. I asked what did he think I was doing in a model shop and had he taken leave of his senses? He replied that the word on the street was that I was dead and had been for some weeks! Following further questioning, he assured me that he was not winding me up and that people really were going around saying that I had died

Probably 🤔Your local model shop has the name "Black Lodge" from Twin Peaks city?

ApKO.gif

Look closely, You will find out on this gif

7hzS.gif

of the seller from the local model shop in which You were?

😉😁

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

The conformal fuel tank has not yet been added, and to be honest I like the look of the aircraft much better without it. The tank supplied with the kit fits reasonably well, but it makes the aircraft look like it's had too much pizza and beer. I assume these tanks were not a permanent addition to the airframe, but I don't know. I guess if you wanted to get back to the carrier and recover safely, you needed the tank. What do you guys think? Can I leave the tank off?

The conformal fuel tank on Attacker really, as for my, do not betray the elegance of this aircraft!

On the Internet, there are many photos of the Attacker without conformal fuel tank in flight.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2