1:72 AZ Model Supermarine Attacker

I also meant to compliment you on the rapidity with which you gathered in the "usual suspects" and got the obligatory insanity underway!

Martian the Sensible 👽

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Thanks mates! I appreciate the enthusiasm. I have discovered, though, that the boundary layer control has an arc shaped lump on the forward edge. You can see it quite clearly in this photo (although the vanes seem to be in shadow):

intake lump

I assume this was a way to condition or shape the airflow, and it should be quite easy to replicate with card. I have a question, though - is this in all production Attackers, or was it introduced sometime after the aircraft went into service?

Also, does anyone have a good photo of the arresting hook and its bay? I know that the hook was on a v-shaped arm, and presumably was partially retracted into a bay of some sort on the underside of the fuselage. AZ have attempted to mould this bay - no, wait, that's not right. AZ didn't bother to clean the mould prior to injecting the molten styrene that ended up as my kit. Consequently, what was the arresting hook bay on my model is now a 1:1 duplicate of a copious collection of clag that accumulated in the nooks and crannies of AZ's mould. In modelling, as in life, cleanliness is next to Godliness. A lesson the chief AZ styrene injector man should never forget!   :)

@Martian Hale  “Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence – whether much that is glorious – whether all that is profound – does not spring from disease of thought – from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect.” One of my favourite Edgar Allan Poe quotes. This is why there is so much insanity here. I've been exalting at the expense of my general intellect for years.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I have discovered, though, that the boundary layer control has an arc shaped lump on the forward edge.

Edit:- Wrong, see post 68

99.9% sure that's a trick of the lighting, see here for another shot of the same airframe, different lighting. The curve is there, but it's shadow from the intake lip. The boundary layer intake lip is dead straight in this photo. I've just had a quick scan throught the Dalrymple book on the Attacker, all in service photo's show a straight edge, though a few do show the shadow effect you've noticed earlier. Classic Airframes seem to have fallen for this one as well!

More photos here, here and here.

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Also, does anyone have a good photo of the arresting hook and its bay?

PM to follow

Edited by Dave Swindell
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

“Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled

I think it is Bill, I think it is!

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

99.9% sure that's a trick of the lighting, see here for another shot of the same airframe, different lighting. The curve is there, but it's shadow from the intake lip. The boundary layer intake lip is dead straight in this photo. I've just had a quick scan throught the Dalrymple book on the Attacker, all in service photo's show a straight edge, though a few do show the shadow effect you've noticed earlier. Classic Airframes seem to have fallen for this one as well!

More photos here, here and here.

It could be the lighting, as some photos don't seem to show it. That is why I wondered if it was a late addition. The inside edge of the boundary layer is definitely straight, but that doesn't preclude the existence of the bump. The Scimitar very definitely has this feature. This isn't a big photo but you can clearly see "bumps" on both boundary layer plates. 

962387as.jpg

And in this photo you can see how the FOD cover is formed around this bump:

Supermarine-Scimitar-F1

So was this feature also a part of the Attacker intake? I don't know. Maybe @canberra kid can tell us, as he seems to have some good Vickers references and drawings. Oddly, the Swift doesn't have these bumps. I say oddly because the Attacker, Swift, and Scimitar are related.

Thanks for the PM!

54 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I think it is Bill, I think it is!

Martian 👽

Darn, I missed it again!   :banghead:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I gotta show you this - it is such a hoot!   :)

IMG_2680

Somewhere in there is lurking what purports to be the arresting hook bay. Ha!    :rofl:

Come to think of it, that tail wheel opening ain't all that geometric either. I'm seeing more of that white plastic card in my future.

Cheers,

Bill

• Confused 4
  • Sad 5

Re the intake boundary issue. I don't think it is a trick of the light. I found the same photo Bill had and managed to get, but a larger clearer image on the site I found. If you click on my image below, then hold the cursor over the intake and click the + sign to see the full size image in my flickr picture it enlarges even more and you can clearly see rivets radiating inwards to the curved part at the lip.

Attacker 001

Can you see what I'm getting at?

Terry

Edited by Terry1954
  • Like 2

On 08/10/2018 at 18:52, Scimitar said:

For those who know the airfield that's K17 hangar where the Shackeltons and later XV's Tornadoes used to live.

My bedroom for a week or so in the seventies whilst the runway was being resurfaced and the Shacks were living at Lossie

My TA mob were on a scheme in the Highlands and the RAF kindly loaned the use of the hangar for a while as they had nothing else to use it for
Being me I was dead proud to get the use of the hangar with the 8 Squadron colours emblazoned across the top above the doors, the rest of our Philistines didnt give a monkey's

:)

The data Bill is mining for us is going to be invaluable if I decide to have another Naval year in the future

Bill your vanes are brilliant, give me hopes for me to get the boundary intake right on the Vixen now

:thumbsup2:

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

The Scimitar very definitely has this feature. This isn't a big photo but you can clearly see "bumps" on both boundary layer plates. 

I see what you're getting at now Bill, I was looking for a curve on the boundary intake lip whereas this is straight, but has a bump in the centre behind the lip.

14 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

you can clearly see rivets radiating inwards to the curved part at the lip.

Those are the rivets fastening the boundary layer ducting that carries the boundary layer down to the vents below the intake (and up on top). These ducts run round in a curve to the forward lip of the splitter plate, so the lines of rivets should run to the front as well, so there's definitely a fairing scabbed on over them for some reason.

Now I know what I'm looking for, this is visible in "most" contemporary shots of FB2's, but I can't see it at all on F1's.

The 3 photos i've found without are both WK serial block, one when new (WK331, 20/8/1952) and two of WK320 when serving with 1833 NAS in August 1956. There are photo's of later serial block (WP & WZ) aircraft with the bump in 1953, so I'd guess this was a production mod, and probably not retrofitted to earlier airframes.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Those are the rivets fastening the boundary layer ducting that carries the boundary layer down to the vents below the intake (and up on top). These ducts run round in a curve to the forward lip of the splitter plate, so the lines of rivets should run to the front as well, so there's definitely a fairing scabbed on over them for some reason.

Ah, great explanation Dave, I get that now, thanks.

Lots of good info coming out here folks, great stuff.

Terry

• Like 3

I've arrived late and hope the doors aren't locked !

I wanna come in because (a) I followed your TSR2 build a while back and was knocked out by your modelling skills and (b) I've never heard of a Supermarine Attacker. Is there room for a little 'un? (I'm only 5'8"). :bounce:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I gotta show you this - it is such a hoot!   :)

IMG_2680

Somewhere in there is lurking what purports to be the arresting hook bay. Ha!    :rofl:

Come to think of it, that tail wheel opening ain't all that geometric either. I'm seeing more of that white plastic card in my future.

Cheers,

Bill

I've seen wet paper bags with sharper outlines.

-d-

• Haha 8

17 hours ago, perdu said:

You really need to pull up that chair, it promises to be an instructive ride.

And that's just the banter!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3