Buying as a set.

Spookytooth

Hi folks, a quick question.

I have a problem with my H/S Evo, when I went to use the 0.2 needle  it would not work.

It seemed to be blocked.

So I stripped it down and cleaned it only to get the same result.

So, do I replace the needle only, or do I buy the nozzle as well.

I checked the 0.4 set and that worked as normal.

Simon.

14 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

What exactly is happening? No paint coming out? No air? Bubbles in the cup?

Bubbles in the cup, no paint coming through.

I have cleaned the nozzle and needle+ the body as well.

The other needle/nozzle works fine.

Simon.

Bubbles in the cup are a sure sign of a split / chipped / damaged nozzle tip or a scored / worn nozzle seal.

Unless the needle is damaged (read bent at the tip) there is no need to change it at all. The needle is stainless steel & far harder than the nozzle, so needles don't really suffer significantly from wear, just impact damage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Split nozzle or seal are good things to check. You might also check Don Wheeler's airbrush site, particularly his troubleshooting page...

A loose cap is another possibility, but your test of the 0.4mm nozzle should have exposed that if it was the problem. FWIW, I eliminate a source of air bubbling with a little bee's wax to seal the nozzle cap threads.

• Like 1

I get bubbles in the cup on my Ultra if I don't tighten the nozzle cap enough (I have the CR type cap so it should be the exact same parts as yours? The nozzle is identical anyway).

If the cap is as tight as you can get it (using only yours fingers, obviously) my guess is the nozzle PTFE seal is damaged in some way. For a quick test you can swap it for the seal in the 0.4 nozzle. It's the same part anyway. If that doesn't fix it look at the nozzle under a magnifying glass, maybe the nozzle is cracked, that might allow air to travel back there. 

Also check the nozzle cap. If you have dried up paint inside, right at the front then it would block the airflow forcing it to go back and into the cup. You can clean it using a toothpick really quick.

If you find that the nozzle is broken check the needle, maybe that's in good shape and you don't need a new one.

• Like 1

Hey Simon, as luck would have it I'm doing a yearly strip, seal change & service on my Evo: First off check the black rubber (viton) seal on the aircap then the white PTFE one in the nozzle (using the 0.4 mm for illustration)

45153757701_88d61f7290_b.jpg

If they're shot the spares are these

45104866492_056ace24b2_b.jpg

If they're OK, then make sure the aircap (black seal) is tight and just run water through the evo. If the nozzle is really blocked  paper points and standard cellulose thinners will do the trick

44432032694_a64a4e04b9_b.jpg

You can get the points from many sources but I use these here, if you're in a hurry I can post over a few  to sunny Southsea tomorrow. If you've pranged the nozzle or needle check them with a magnifier like this and if the nozzle is shot you just need that. FYI I always keep at least 2 spares as they are more delicate than they look and I usually get through at least one a year.  Lastly if you're not in a hurry, I'm in Southsea in a couple of weeks and can test yours with my spares and give it a  once over.

Cheers 

Anil

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, azureglo said:

FYI I always keep at least 2 spares as they are more delicate than they look and I usually get through at least one a year.  

Most excellent advice! I make sure I always have spare nozzles and needle for both of my airbrushes.

29 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Most excellent advice! I make sure I always have spare nozzles and needle for both of my airbrushes.

I have proper OCD, that means three spares of everything in every size for my 3 H&S, Iwata HP TH and Badger Sotar. Now that I think of it maybe I should have 4 of everything, actually why not 5? What if Putin invades Hampshire? Dear god I better buy the factory...

• Haha 2