Airfix Sea king HU5 build No2

Cheers Tim,

Grabbed this to help out with the build, perfect for what I need it for, a really nice engineered bit of kit.

P1060409

P1060404

P1060405

P1060408

P1060406

P1060410

It's a GSI Mr vice, sound ominous but a great bit of kit, the jaws are on a ball joint so you can angle it in any direction. I know most of you appreciate good kit so I thought it best to show 

you, something that I didn't know existed until a week or so ago.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Such a comprehensive build with all of those alterations a true sea king  build lesson, just had a read through your hu5 build as well, that really is.  a " how to build and paint a sea king", gorgeous ***

Glynn 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Glynn, It was a really enjoyable build and not too troublesome, yours is going to look great BTW 

So a bit of time today, not much but the forward tiedowns are done.

P1060411

P1060412

P1060413

Rear cabin windows are now glued in and fixed.

Regards

Dan  

• Like 2

On 5/8/2019 at 3:58 PM, Dads203 said:

No problem,

Eduard PE set 72617 Sea King HC 4 Exterior (you need this set for the main cabin step, the other sets don’t give the commando step )

Eduard PE set 72636 Sea King HAR 3 Interior set

Reskit RS72-0072 Sea King wheel set

Revell Westland Sea King Orange crop and large dorsal radome ( Borrowed  from the kit )

Xtradecal X722303 decals ( 771 Sqn RN)

Model Art 72/067 Sea King HU5

Various plastic card and rod

Green stuff Epoxy putty

0.2 carbon rod

0.2 and 0.3 lead wire

Here is one I did last year 🙂 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235023572-westland-sea-king-hu5/

Everybody raves about the Revell kit but I personally prefer the Airfix kit as I think the shape is better and it doesn't have undersized sponsons 

Yeah it doesn't have loads of rivets but the Revell kit but it will have a load wiped out during assembly which would be incredibly difficult to reinstate 

to an acceptable level.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 1

Hello 203,

Thanks for the update regarding the used extra items on your Sea King.

Will keep following this WIP. Very interesting and lots of tips that are extremely useful.

Regards, Orion

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 1:23 PM, Dads203 said:

Hi all,

Well this is a real turn out for the books, I've been commissioned to build another Airfix RN Sea King HU5,  by another member 

on the forum and he has agreed that it should go up as a WIP. 

So the bits that I was sent for the build.

P1060171

P1060172

P1060173

Decals are from the new Xtradecal sheet, they look rather good but it's a shame that they didn't provide some of the stencils. 

P1060175

P1060174

Bits will be liberated from the Revell kit to make up some of the RN specific Fit out, Large radome,  Orange crop boxes, etc,etc.

I'm not detailing up the interior as my previous build but the cockpit will  get a few extras, no crew this time as this will be on the ground.

I've got a few things to prep yet before I get started on this and once done I'll get cracking with the build. This one will be Rescue 27 so I'll be on the hunt for more ref pictures,

lucky that I saved all the others from my own build. 

So chaps, stay tuned 

Regards

Dan 

Oh my not another rendition of the junior RN SAR squadron 771.....I may have to sort out the premier 772 NAS SAR...rescue 172 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Not had much time on the bench lately due to other commitments, managed to get the tail rotor

blades thinned and reprofiled, added the PE centre. 

P1060414

P1060415

P1060416

Slowly getting the detail to where it needs to be on this build, a couple of items that require work on the interior 

and then a monster painting session.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 6

On 11/6/2018 at 12:46 AM, Dads203 said:

The Airfix short shotter strikes again !

Wow, now I finally know what short shot means, this so far, has to be the worst I have seen. Others have been tiny details, like a control stick or pedals, never have I seen a fuselage missing that much material, how did that even make it out of QC?

Anyway, I will be playing "catch-up", hope you have your Q&A brain on full alert!

How can you not love helicopters, the more I learn, the more I love them!

Anthony

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Stalker6Recon said:

Wow, now I finally know what short shot means, this so far, has to be the worst I have seen. Others have been tiny details, like a control stick or pedals, never have I seen a fuselage missing that much material, how did that even make it out of QC?

Anyway, I will be playing "catch-up", hope you have your Q&A brain on full alert!

How can you not love helicopters, the more I learn, the more I love them!

Anthony

I’ll try and answer any questions that you might have mate ;)

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2019 at 3:31 AM, Dads203 said:

So tonight I've built the crew steps

Is that scratch built?

Also, lost some previous quotes, but from memory, it went like this.

The nippers from DSPIAE, I keep seeing these online and you have sealed the deal for me, now at the top of my list when I have the money. Pricey, but not nearly as expensive as the God's Hand nippers. DSPIAE has a lot of CNC tools that look valuable for building, I especially like their scale ruler and their pin vise/drill bit set. Even thinking about buying their PE bender if my hybrid home made version fails to live up to my hopes.

This is impressive at every level, I have to say, I love how sharp PE details are, really adds to the "look". You have a lot of scratch build going on as well, super impressive and inspiring.

Finallu, you keep mentioning magic sculpt, something like that. Looks like a very user-friendly product, another item on my list of "must have" tools/materials.

Finally, what scripting tool do you use? I bought a set of scribing saws from Tamiya, my first experience with this type of scribe tool/saw, but found them to be very thick. I had ordered a set from Hasegawa, and even though both types are PE, the Hasegawa set is absolutely gorgeous and has a proper thin kerf, can't wait to use them. I also bought a scriber/saw from Alexen, really feels nice for going around hulls and fuselages. I will report back my experience with all, if I think I have anything to add to the tools section.

Anyway, lovely build so far, and I am only on page two!

Anthony

On 5/4/2019 at 11:10 PM, Dads203 said:

the IP going together.

Wow, I know painted IP is a short cut, but who can argue with the results! Looks like the port engine is running a tad hot by the instrument readings😁

Is that a reaming tool next to the bubble window? I have seen those on ebay. Would you consider that an indispensable tool, or a luxury item?

Done with page four! Almost caught up and I have avoided writing college essay questions along the way! You got lucky my friend, very lucky!

Cheers,

Anthony

PS. At 0300 hours, just about tea time!

• Haha 2

On 5/12/2019 at 1:04 AM, Dads203 said:

It's a GSI Mr vice

So strange, I spent the early part of my day looking at bench vises on a local website, lots of chinese junk, but cheap, perfect for me at the moment. Saw "watch repair" table vises with very similar layout and thought they would be perfect for modeling. Although risky, at less than $10, it might we worth a shot. Unlike you, I will be primarily working in 48 and larger scales, so the watch vise might not cut it. Right now, I have not committed to anything yet, since I have no cash! Being poor has its advantages, allows you to do a LOT of research before you buy. Helping me avoid those impulse buys of my younger years.

I am all caught up mate, you really dodged a bullet! Glad I only slightly overwhelmed the thread with my Q's, now it truly is tea time, I need some sleep!

Have good night!

Anthony

• Haha 1

Cheers Colin :yes:

So moving onto the wheels and sponsons, I've started roughing them out. Brass pinning the main wheels into the 

gear legs, I've also drilled out some of the lightning holes, these are a representation as the parts are very small. I've yet to add the scissor 

links from PE yet.

P1060417

P1060418

P1060419

P1060420

Cheers for looking chaps.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 2