Airfix Sea king HU5 build No2

Cheers Chaps :D

So moving on with the build, a bot more done over the last few days,  sponsons are together and the underside light box has been added, the light itself will be a MV lens and added after painting.

Lots of work to do yet with these. 

P1060205

P1060207

The tail on this build has the same defect as my other build, not quite a short shot but annoying, some plastic rod will cure this problem. 

P1060208

Engine exhausts are fitted.

P1060204

P1060203

Sorting out the underside of the hull.

P1060202

Battery box cover removed from the righthand side cockpit area. 

P1060209

And the nose has had the HAS3 bits chopped off in preparation for the Orange Crop kit.

P1060210

More later 

Dan 

• Like 6

Finally found some time to get back into the workshop, 

Most of the cockpit PE is now in place and work has started on the 

other fuel filler on the left hand side of the fuselage.

P1060214

P1060215

Opening roughed out 

P1060217

Fuel cap mount, the back will get done with magic sculpt.

P1060216

Cheers for looking 

Dan 

• Like 7

Adding the GPS shelf to the IP, I'll scratch build the GPS unit later. Still needs blending in yet so a tad of Mr Surfacer added.

P1060222

P1060220

side door added 

P1060223

And the sand filters started, the moulds are not wearing well for this kit, this part is not good, lots of flash and it now doesn't fit as well as my last build.

Again more Mr Surfacer.

P1060224

Cheers 

Dan 

• Like 6

So I thought this might be a GPS receiver, I think now that its a Tetra Airwave radio set. I scratch built the terminal and antenna, it's close enough 

and not much will be seen in the cockpit once it's all together. Some cables to add and a bit more fettling yet, the whole thing need a bit of cleaning up 

before a primer shot.

P1060229

P1060228

P1060225

P1060233

P1060232

P1060231

P1060230

Cheers for looking 

Dan 

• Like 8

Looking good Dan, lots of great PE to look at. If I may, re the tie down rings. If you slice them off and then wind some fine copper/soft wire around a drill bit shank (same ID as the rings) and then slice it into rings and replace the moulded in parts. They will look much better. That is if you hadn't alreadt thought of this?

Colin

• Like 1

11 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Looking good Dan, lots of great PE to look at. If I may, re the tie down rings. If you slice them off and then wind some fine copper/soft wire around a drill bit shank (same ID as the rings) and then slice it into rings and replace the moulded in parts. They will look much better. That is if you hadn't alreadt thought of this?

Colin

All in hand Colin, I did just that on the last HU5 build ;) :thumbsup:

So a bit more done, the one item that is really noticeable is the larger radome on the spine of the aircraft.

It's the Revell part from their sea king kit. I've popped it together and roughly removed the seams.

It will require cutting down as this part is to high. 

To give the radome a bit more strength I've added some plastic strip as when the top and bottom are separated 

it becomes very fragile.

P1060235

P1060236

Sponsons are getting a bit of work done, in the wheel bays Airfix have engineered some huge gaps, these are now filled with Mr Dissolved putty, they will require a quick sanding.

The topsides will also get rescribed to restore the lost detail.

P1060234

P1060237

More later 

Dan 

• Like 6

Thank you folks for the likes and comments, this build is following very closely to my first build some of you might have noticed,

I'll not be spending too much time on the rear cabin as you don't really see much and as I'm not putting any crew in it should speed up the build 

a bit... not much but a bit 🙂 

Seats getting some padding 

P1060242

P1060243

P1060244

P1060245

And the gear bays getting some work done.

P1060239

Fuel filler backed in 

P1060240

P1060241

Cheers 

Dan 

• Like 6

Another update,  Started on the Orange crop ECM kit, these are from the Revell kit and full of sink marks,

the nose sensors were a mare as they are moulded onto the nose section so they had to be removed and re profiled

to fit the Airfix nose. Load of still wet Mr Surfacer added to help blend them in and fill the sink marks. the actual sensor eyes will get removed later 

as they are not fitted to the SAR cabs.

P1060248

P1060249

Rear cabin seats getting some alterations 

P1060251

The round caps on the top of the sponsons getting rescribed, the rest of the sponson panel lines will also get reinstated

P1060254

Cheers 

Dan 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

An hour at the bench again tonight,

Working on the underside of the hull/fuselage. Some Revell parts being used and the rest is just plastic card and rod.

Rear seats being worked on as well, still a fair way to go yet ;)

P1060257

P1060256

P1060255

Cheers 

Dan 

• Like 4

Cutting down the radome, the Revell kit part is to tall so a slice needs removing/

P1060258

P1060260

Tidying up the Orange crop sensor mounts, lots of sink marks... 

P1060261

P1060262

Cheers for looking 

Dan

• Like 3

Radome almost sorted, some fettling left to do 

and a bit of polishing up the join, I did add some Mr surfacer 

just to fill the join but it's almost sorted now.

P1060269P1060268

This is what it would of looked like as Revell intended … much to high.

P1040662

Cheers for looking 

Dan 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since my last update, life again getting in the way, anyway more PE action going on. I have an hour this afternoon so I thought I'd show you what's been going

on:thumbsup: 

Underside gets some detailing, I cut and removed the wrong blade antenna so a new base is made and its now on the correct side. some Mr Dissolved Putty is drying 

on the area that had to removed.

P1060281

P1060282

P1060284

Rear PE bulkhead fitted, a few more parts for this area but as it's going to be closed up not much will be seen.

P1060278

More later 

Cheers 

Dan 

• Like 5

A bit more going on with the SK,

The observers seat get some padding, the sea tray that extends around the fuselage is now added, starting to add the extra bits to the winch area.

And the door has been modified, removal of a bump and a funny bracket that I have never seen on a Sea King? 

P1060288

The straps will get added once the green stuff putty has hardened off. 

P1060286

P1060287

More lumps and bumps added, GPS antenna base on the top of the tail, the tie downs will get replaced with brass wire and plastic card. 

P1060289

I've primed the cockpit IP, getting ready to add the Eduard prepainted panel, still a load to get done but hopefully more later.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 5