Airfix Sea king HU5 build No2

Cheers all for the great feedback and the likes.. keep em coming ;)

Some of the pictures that I have collected as part of my ref material show some 

panels much lighter in colour than the main airframe, so more masking up. the Radome 

which is made from RF transparent GRP looks like its a slightly different colour, makes sense 

as the radome would of never been painted. 

So here we are:-

P1060697

P1060698

P1060699

Spotlight fitted into the sponson. looks white as I've used PVA to glue it in, still wet /

P1060700

Cheers

Dan 

• Like 6

State of play tonight, tail wheel on, sponsons have had the first pass on the detail painting 

plus lots of other small sub assemblies have been worked on.

P1060707

P1060708

Blade antenna and GPS antenna painted up, they need a bit of tidying up at the base yet 

P1060709

P1060710

Enjoy folks 

Dan 

• Like 8

Hi Dan, you have just been bombarded by several likes as I have not touched the 'puter' for a week due to wedding planning and working away but true to your word lots of lovely colour now adorns your build and it looks like you have nailed it, very neat and crisp.

In post #378 first pic, is the white part of the masking paper or masking tape and if tape is it a wide Tamiya flexible tape?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Hi Dan, you have just been bombarded by several likes as I have not touched the 'puter' for a week due to wedding planning and working away but true to your word lots of lovely colour now adorns your build and it looks like you have nailed it, very neat and crisp.

In post #378 first pic, is the white part of the masking paper or masking tape and if tape is it a wide Tamiya flexible tape?

Cheers for that 🙂  Cheque is in the post fella 

Here is the stuff that I use, its brilliant, goes down over the raised detail as long as it's not proud and gives a nice clean line, airbrush pressure and paint play a part 

in this as well.  can't tell you the pressure as I use a MAC valve on my AB set up so the compressor is kicking out max pressure. I just do it by eye. 

P1060711

HTH 

Dan 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dads203 said:

More masking up :o

P1060701

Dark Sea grey.... MRP of course 🙂

P1060702

P1060704

P1060703

P1060705

Sponsons next

Regards

Dan

Dan 

Great and inspiring build.

How did you make the mask for the Dark Sea Gray?

Ran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ran said:

How did you make the mask for the Dark Sea Gray?

They were cut on a silhouette cutter, scan in the decals which have the black version and cut on the cutter, I don't have access to one and have 

had these for a few years now. I think you can pretty much make masks for anything with one, might start dropping the Mrs hints for Christmas ;)

Regards

Dan 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

cut on a silhouette cutter,

Hey Dan, is that the same as a plotter cutter? There are shops here in the Philippines that make custom stickers using a computer operated cutter. I would love to have one, but they cost around 100,000 pesos! That about $2,000 US, and I need to get a computer first, so that is a pipe dream. But I could bring designs to them, and have them cut custom masks, if I wanted too.. I might try that in the future.

Also, in a previous post, I described your demarcation lines as razor like, I was wrong and apologize for that mistake. The close up of the boom shows a large joint and a LASER perfect paint line running the circumference of the boom, extraordinary my friend.

As always, inspiring to the new guys,

Anthony

• Thanks 1

Hi Anthony, thanks for the comments, really appreciated :thumbsup:

The cutter's here in the UK are about 250-300 GBP so not that expensive, no I'm no expert 

on them and someone will point you in the right direction If I'm wrong but I think this one might be suitable.

https://www.specialty-graphics.com/silhouette-cameo-3-cutter-vinyl-bundle.html

Regards

Dan 

• Thanks 1

Beautiful “ribbed” effect in the MRGB doors, where the engine soot has been scrubbed off.  Looks very convincing; extremely subtle painting in this scale.  Fab.

[Shame it’s destined to be a 771 cab rather than 819, but you cannot have everything!]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers chaps, 

Decals are going on now so that the weathering can be done, I noticed that most of the cabs have that type of exhaust staining right by the exhausts, I presumed that it’s from the down wash from the main rotors?  Once the decals are on and sealed it will get a lot more soot around the back end.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 2

Decals really bringing this to life, stunning paintwork and great build with your usual attention to the smallest details!

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Decal fest going on this afternoon, loads of em :o

Still loads of stencils to add to the fuselage but we are getting close.

P1060730

P1060731

P1060729

I'm going to make up the socks that fit over the pitot tubes with epoxy putty and add the RBF tags, still have a load of detail painting to go yet 

to the various bits n bobs and to sort out the crew door. its primed but needs a bit of fettling after I removed a load of detail that is not on any Sea king 

that I have found. 

Regards

Dan 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, timtom1982 said:

What is with the airfix crew door. I have seen the bulg on the top left on a HC4 junglie once before but never that weird tab on the bottom right of it?

That’s the one Tim, don’t quite understand why it’s there, I’ve not found any pictures with anything close? Very strange. 

Regards

Dan