Airfix Sea king HU5 build No2

23 hours ago, Dads203 said:

First one done.

It may be a short cut to making your own, but they really do add so much life to these kits, I am falling on love with PE. Eduard seems like the best so far, and the pre-painted stuff makes life a whole lot easier, plus, it makes everything look uniform, which would probably be difficult when doing a dozen seat belt sets on a helicopter like this one. I bought some unpainted PE from Dream Model, and now I am starting to regret that decision, but they should be a good learning tool for me.

Your bird is looking really nice, I am jealous of your skills, one day I may get there.

Cheers,

Anthony

PS. Quick update on my F-15, all that had to be set aside as one of my rescues got very sick, and we had to take him to the vet yesterday, and he is now being treated inpatient with IV's and other procedures. my mistake luck continues, and that financial hole gets bigger, yet again. Oh well, we will find a way, always do. No work done at all since last week.

• Thanks 1

Cheers all for the likes chaps,

Eduard PE... it has its uses but I’d do some research first, some of it is PE for PE sake and not really needed, some parts they will have you bin off perfectly good plastic parts to replace with brass .... As for the colour stuff, again good idea by Eduard but some are really poorly executed, the colours are off, the details pixelated so again do research on what you are after in a set before committing to buying is all I’ll say. It does have its uses but it seems to get more expensive by the year, it now a luxury rather than a must. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

do research

Just had a catch up Dan, seat central looking very nice indeed.

Wise words indeed, I think I  spend more time researching than building but still manage to miss things or get them wrong, or worse still just confuse the hell out of myself.

• Like 2

Cheers chaps, was almost ready to close up the fuselage and then remembered the stretcher ! 

Its just roughed out here …. badly so it will need more painting up yet, its a bit of a mess but you'll not notice it once weathered up.

Its going  to get a blast of matt varnish and some oil washes along with some more precise detail painting.

P1060561

Cheers 

Dan

• Like 4

She looks good Dan, can't wait to see here after the detail painting and wash.

As for the PE, I am sure you are right, and it is hit and miss on whether the parts are better than the plastic they replace, or the paint looks correct. I have seen incredible hand painted details on IP's on this site, as well as two second installed PE that looks spot on perfect as well. As you say, research before buying, always a wise decision.

As for the comments about research time over build time, so far, all I do is research and like another said, only achieved a zen level of confusion as my tail always seems out of reach! I am dizzy now. I need to refocus, figure out EXACTLY what paints I need to complete the F-15A and buy it as soon as I have the cash. My account is bottomed out, but I did make a buy yesterday, the DSPIAE micro-drill, my current pin vise is lacking in all areas, so I sprung for something that isn't chinese junk, but for a good price, clearing out the few dollars I had remaining. It was too little to effect the vet bills for my cat, and it also lifted my spirits by buying it, if only for a little while. We.are going to visit him today and get an update on his prognosis, cross your fingers for Pumpkin, he needs as much love as he can get!

Cheers,

Anthony

• Thanks 1

Cheers Anthony,

So the stretcher is fitted and weathered up, just some highlights added to the orange and the grey tubes of the frame, I put down an oil wash of brown

last night so it dried off today. Its been brass pinned to the floor.

P1060562

P1060564

P1060565

Cheers for looking in.

Dan 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

cross your fingers for Pumpkin, he needs as much love as he can get!

Lets hope you have good news on Pumpkin, pets do have a way of getting deep in our affections.

12 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

So the stretcher is fitted and weathered up, just some highlights added to the orange and the grey tubes of the frame, I put down an oil wash of brown

last night so it dried off today. Its been brass pinned to the floor.

All looking dandy and the stretcher adds another dimension to the interior making it look much more busy. Now to nail the two half's together Dan and she will look like the Sea King we know she is.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Lets hope you have good news on Pumpkin, pets do have a way of getting deep in our affections.

All looking dandy and the stretcher adds another dimension to the interior making it look much more busy. Now to nail the two half's together Dan and she will look like the Sea King we know she is.

Your wish is my command :D

3 minutes ago, Rickoshea52 said:

I have always been curious to know the function of the fabric cover outside and aft of the main cabin door? 

I think its part of the sea tray than comes around the outside of the door? 

A week late but the fuselage is together.

P1060566

P1060568

P1060569

P1060570

Cheers

Dan 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Sadly, our Pumpkin passed away last night. We found him three years ago, covered in grim, skinny and unable to open his eyes. Once we brought him home and gave him a bath, he became our cat immediately, what an awesome cat he was to us. We have been rescuing for over five years now, and with more than 60 cats at one time, things will go wrong and cats will pass away. He isn't the first, and won't be the last probably, but we have stopped rescuing and are looking for homes for the rest of our cats, it's just too much, emotionally and financially. Even though I couldn't afford to have him in the hospital, we did it anyway, and the debt is worth the effort. Just too bad he could not pull through.

My wife made a tribute, if anyone is interested. I will also post this on my current WIP, which had come to a grinding halt for the time being for obvious reasons.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2791541850872783&id=100000509876159&sfnsn=mo

Dan, your bird looks great, I love everything you have done to livin'it up, inspiring for me. Oh, and good news on the MH-53E. I found not one, but two. I can't buy them yet, but they will hold them for me, which is awesome.

Anthony

• Like 1

Cheers chaps,

So a bit more done and few large parts added, the lower hull is now in place and the lower nose section.

P1060571

P1060572

P1060573

P1060574

P1060575

More later, but we are getting close to primer time 

Dan 

• Like 3

I am still impressed and amazed at how those windows have filled in perfectly, you must have gone thru every grade of sandpaper all the way up to wet diaper for such a smooth result. I need to practice sanding a whole lot more, that's for certain.

Can't wait to see the paint start being laid down, I am sure it will be a thing of beauty!

Cheers,

Anthony

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Stalker6Recon said:

I am still impressed and amazed at how those windows have filled in perfectly, you must have gone thru every grade of sandpaper all the way up to wet diaper for such a smooth result. I need to practice sanding a whole lot more, that's for certain.

Can't wait to see the paint start being laid down, I am sure it will be a thing of beauty!

Cheers,

Anthony

Windows are all down to Airfix Anthony, no special prep from me mate, just as it is from the box. When Airfix do something well they really nail it. 

Sorry to to hear about the cat buddy, never nice when these things happen mate 

Regards

Dan 

8 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Sorry to to hear about the cat buddy,

Thanks brother, I am OK, my wife, not so much. It just sucks because he was improving over the weekend, then suddenly crashed on Monday.

Anyway, I guess I should have clarified my compliment, I meant the windows that you filled in because they were not accurate for this build. That is what I was talking about, not the windows that are still there.

Cheers,

Anthony

• Thanks 1

Cheers Anthony,  

i gotcha now, I used a 2 part epoxy putty to fill the rear windows so it was easy to get the same contours as the fuselage. It also saved a whole lot of sanding , it will get polished up though as the MRP paints show every little imperfection rather like metallics so prep is king. 

I have to sort the step out and then it’s primer time.

Regards 

Dan 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 7:40 PM, Dads203 said:

I think its part of the sea tray that comes around the outside of the door? 

P1060570

It is indeed part of the sea tray - these aircraft were designed as ASW machines, not SAR, and they have electronics and other stuff that doesn’t mix too well with water underneath the floor of the rear cabin.  SAR at sea often involves fishing people directly out of the water, so the purpose of the sea tray is pretty obvious.

The two lines so well modelled here go round to strongpoint studs in the aircraft skin (originally part of the weapon loading set-up - the 8 studs below are where the starboard aft weapon station was in this aircraft’s early ASW days; see my 1/48 HAS5  build if you really want to know more).  They ensure that there isn’t a gap between the sea tray and the airframe behind the door (into which you can be sure rotor downwash would neatly blow lots of water).

It was originally an improvised bodge using whatever was there, and it worked brilliantly so the bodge became official.  Not sure about Junglie cabs, and the AEW2 / ASaC7s have a large radome in the way... but any ASW or SAR Sea King (i.e. most airframes) could rig a sea tray.  It was permanently rigged for the SAR squadrons (771 & 819 SAR Flight), but didn’t take long to fit for any cab if it looked as though it might be wet winching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I didn’t know that - but it makes sense, since the HAR3 was designed for SAR from the outset, whereas the HU5 airframes kind of evolved from HAS5s, notably by removing the sonar and all associated gubbins, thus saving a large amount of weight.

[Iisert own joke about the weight of ASW Aircrewmen to taste. @MarkdipXV711]

The (pressure) refuelling point was under the door in RN cabs because it put it underneath the winch, thus making HIFR a bit less of a wrestling match for the rear seat types.  It was moved for the HC4 to stop Bootnecks from stamping on it, but I never really got why it mattered for the HAR3.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only reason I can recall for the refuel point not being under the door like RN cabs is that HAR3’s don’t have a crew step there - I suppose it could foul during winching but no more a step would, 🤔, maybe it was also to stop it being used as a footstep like on HC4’s. I’ll have to look at my Q course notes when I get home. 

• Like 2