Airfix Sea king HU5 build No2

10 hours ago, andyf117 said:

....but there are plenty of detail features with bigger, better pictures elsewhere - including the walkaround section right here on BM:

RAF HAR.3 https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234943317-westland-sea-king-royal-air-force/ 

There are loads of great photos in that thread but be careful because there are HAR3 & HAR3A examples included; the main giveaway is the HF aerial layout along the port side. 

Richoshea....mk4 definitely had that rectangular panel....rear electronics bay.

And er....whoever's said bunglies clearly it was a spelling mistake. 

And what is the reserve battery plate....are you on about square panel stbd side below p2 window......no2 battery on a JUNGLIE....self start in the field none of that GRound power marlarky 

Edited by junglierating

8 hours ago, junglierating said:

And what is the reserve battery plate....are you on about square panel stbd side below p2 window......no2 battery on a JUNGLIE....self start in the field none of that GRound power marlarky 

Well if you want to get excited about the difference between “reserve” & “no 2”, fill your boots.  Yes, I was talking about that panel, absent in all marks other than HAR3 & HC4 - which was my point.

Two can play at the “I think you’ll find” game: starboard side = P1, not P2.

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Well if you want to get excited about the difference between “reserve” & “no 2”, fill your boots.  Yes, I was talking about that panel, absent in all marks other than HAR3 & HC4 - which was my point.

Two can play at the “I think you’ll find” game: starboard side = P1, not P2.

Yeah crazy aircrew....should have just stuck to left/right seat......I did have wonder when I typed P1 P2 🤔😀

20 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Yeah crazy aircrew....should have just stuck to left/right seat......I did have wonder when I typed P1 P2 🤔😀

It only really matters on the ground; only the RH seat has brakes...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dads203 said:

shortage of headsets that worked

Good to know that we are not the only top tier military that flies around with broken crap, pretty much always. This also holds true for pretty much every other weapons platform that we have.

One of the things that drove me crazy about the military. We used to go to the motorpool to kill time in our non-training days. As part of our routine, we would do inspections of our trucks, this consisted of going thru a checklist inspection and turning the results over to the mechanics, who were supposed to fix what ever we pointed out. Needless to say, not ONCE did any item on our list of broken crap on our truck, did the mechanics every fix it. Not sure if this was a problem of motivation or lack of parts/tools, probably a bit of both.

Anyway, that was pretty frustrating and in my opinion, embarrassing. It reminded me of the famous line by the former Secretary of Defence, the azz-hole donald rumsfeld "you go to war not with the equipment you want, but with what we give you!", needless to say, the "equipment we give you" line made him the most hated SoD in probably US history, and that line likely lead to the deaths of thousands of Americans. Half our equipment, at minimum, had a major fault. 90 percent had some level of lost functionality. I never figured out the reason this was never fixed, but it was/is damn shameful that these modern militaries are unable or unwilling to give us functional equipment that is better quality than the chinese junk you can pick up for pennies in any "dollar store".

Only while in the military, did I figure out that milspec was NOT  a badge of honor, more like a warning "this won't last long".

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

we think to be so by watching films is actually not correct

If it's in a movie, you can bet it's wrong. One of my personal favorites, is how hand grenades set off these HUGE explosions, ending with a mushroom cloud. The real deal is far less visually impressive, unless it lands in a stack of JP in drums!

A few other things they get wrong. Bullets do not spark, except in rare occasions, they are designed not to spark on most surfaces. Bullets hitting hand rails as the good guy runs along metal platforms. You could not hit those rails with a scope, yet somehow automatic fire finds these rails at an extremely high rate in movies!

Another big laugh comes from those wounded, especially those shot in the high chest/shoulder area, then saying "tape me up doc, get me back in the fight!" Sorry, doesn't work that way, you get hit there, odds are you will bleed out, but if you don't, that arm won't work anymore in almost every instance, usually not ever again.

One of my personal favorites, when a guy has the M60 firing off hundreds of rounds and they show the empty cartridges falling in slow motion, but they forget to use CGI to remove the crimps from the shells, so that it is obvious the hero was actually firing blanks!

And the best hollyweed silliness, when someone is shot by a handgun and they are picked up off their feet and blasted through a window! This absolutely never happens, even if they are hit at close range by a 40mm round from a Mk19.

Cheers,

Anthony

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Stalker6Recon said:

"you go to war not with the equipment you want, but with what we give you!"

Or in other words, your weapon was supplied by the cheapest bidder. 

Edited by Rickoshea52
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rickoshea52 said:

cheapest bidder

In that video, someone failed badly at the proper installation of the barrel, they obviously failed to set a head space as well. I would not want to use any weapon system they put their hands on. The barrel literally screws on, and once threaded, it would never just fall out like that.

The M2 was made all over the USA by half a dozen companies that are not Browning. GE, A/C Delco and Frigidaire to name a few. We are still using M2's made by these companies in WWII. If the M2 was made poorly, we would know it by now. But that saying is still true, and in many ways, scary. The one weapon I have total faith in, is the M2, she is a thing of beauty!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

If it's in a movie, you can bet it's wrong. One of my personal favorites, is how hand grenades set off these HUGE explosions, ending with a mushroom cloud. The real deal is far less visually impressive, unless it lands in a stack of JP in drums!

A few other things they get wrong. Bullets do not spark, except in rare occasions, they are designed not to spark on most surfaces. Bullets hitting hand rails as the good guy runs along metal platforms. You could not hit those rails with a scope, yet somehow automatic fire finds these rails at an extremely high rate in movies!

Another big laugh comes from those wounded, especially those shot in the high chest/shoulder area, then saying "tape me up doc, get me back in the fight!" Sorry, doesn't work that way, you get hit there, odds are you will bleed out, but if you don't, that arm won't work anymore in almost every instance, usually not ever again.

One of my personal favorites, when a guy has the M60 firing off hundreds of rounds and they show the empty cartridges falling in slow motion, but they forget to use CGI to remove the crimps from the shells, so that it is obvious the hero was actually firing blanks!

And the best hollyweed silliness, when someone is shot by a handgun and they are picked up off their feet and blasted through a window! This absolutely never happens, even if they are hit at close range by a 40mm round from a Mk19.

Cheers,

Anthony

Almost every film ever made, and definitely every TV show, gets helicopter sound effects wrong.  Scene: helo arrives and lands on; our intrepid heroes get out. Aircraft still visibly sitting on ground in the background burning & turning, but sound effects almost always have that descending whistle of a shut down jet.  Hollywood Guys, that’s not how it sounds, really: the blades keep turning so some kind of engine must be involved.

It makes me want to throw a brick at the screen every time.

See also Tom Cruise flying a helicopter inside the Channel Tunnel, James Bond flying a Bell 47 completely hands-off, et al

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Almost every film ever made, and definitely every TV show, gets helicopter sound effects wrong.  Scene: helo arrives and lands on; our intrepid heroes get out. Aircraft still visibly sitting on ground in the background burning & turning, but sound effects almost always have that descending whistle of a shut down jet.  Hollywood Guys, that’s not how it sounds, really: the blades keep turning so some kind of engine must be involved.

It makes me want to throw a brick at the screen every time.

See also Tom Cruise flying a helicopter inside the Channel Tunnel, James Bond flying a Bell 47 completely hands-off, et al

LMAO you need to find a nice quiet relaxing hobby...holding on too tight man.

Mind you top gun..grrr....upside in a ejection seat with the detant wheel attached..(depresses the spigot that holds the seat to the seat rail)

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, junglierating said:

Mind you top gun.

I want to know how a pilot/WISO can "watch out for the canopy" as they a hurtling towards earth in a flat spin as they are fired out of their comfortable pressurized cockpit via rocket motors that have zero guidance.

Poor Goose, if he had listened to Maverick, he would still be flying "green screen" today!

• Sad 1

Back to the subject in hand …. 

Some of the interior fittings getting some paint and weathering. The stowage cupboard.

P1060494

P1060495

P1060497

P1060499

I would imaging that this got pretty beat up so I've added a few chips, I'll pop an oil wash on later 

once the paint have dried and blend the doors in a bit more, I think they are fabric of some sorts.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 3

Those internal fittings are really coming to life now, seems a shame not to have the side door shut hiding your hard work and attention to detail

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for all the great comments and likes folks.

So starting to get the interior together, its going to be closed up I'm afraid, that's what was specified 

so that's how its going. To open the side door would mean a boat load of work to make it even half accurate 

but I'll not back off what's already there. 

Klunk click every trip, lap belts and harnesses going in, jump seat is done. just the pilots and observers seats to get done now and the rear seats:o 

P1060512

P1060511

P1060513

P1060516

P1060517

P1060518

Crew seats are painted up, they have had a blast of matt varnish as my orange paint is gloss. 

Belts going on as we speak.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 3