Airfix Sea king HU5 build No2

Well the Die has been Cast, painting of the interior is now in full swing.

Rear cabin seats are getting some colour an d the detail painting has begun, some shadow and highlights 

on the blues fabric seats, they will get the lap belts and framing painted up before fitting.

P1060483

P1060482

P1060481

Enjoy folks 

Dan

• Like 4

So here is where we are at with this one tonight, loads more to do yet 

P1060488

P1060487

P1060486

P1060485

P1060484

The IP grey area has had an oil wash to add some shadow, the seats need tidying up yet and the belts adding but we are getting there slowly. more tomorrow folks 

Dan 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

That is great work Dan, the floor looks superb. Did all Sea Kings have the same floor pattern you have painted or did it differ from mark to mark? If they are generally the same I would like to use your work as a pattern for ZB506 if I may.

The HAR3’s all had a wet fit floor, or sea tray as the fisheads  call them. However this only extended from around the back edge of the radshack to the aft cabin. What I recall from HAR3’s was a large rectangular panel in the middle of the floor for access to an avionics compartment that I can’t see on any Navy cabs I’ve seen so perhaps this was a difference between the marks? This link has a photo of the aft cabin and the floor panel I am on about - http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/image_galleries/sar_force_gallery.shtml?4

Edited by Rickoshea52
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rickoshea52 said:

The HAR3’s all had a wet fit floor, or sea tray as the fisheads  call them. However this only extended from around the back edge of the radshack to the aft cabin. What I recall from HAR3’s was a large rectangular panel in the middle of the floor for access to an avionics compartment that I can’t see on any Navy cabs I’ve seen so perhaps this was a difference between the marks? This link has a photo of the aft cabin and the floor panel I am on about - http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/image_galleries/sar_force_gallery.shtml?4

I added this on my last build which was fun, lucky this time the customer wants it buttoned up so it saves a bit of time for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

This link has a photo of the aft cabin and the floor panel I am on about

What a cool picture, I am going to have to check out the entire set.

8 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Rear cabin seats

Based on the photos linked by Rick, you have done a phenomenal job of creating the shadows on those fabric seats. Do they actually have that shape, or is that just the illusion you create? Did you use a wash to get the saggy parts dirtied up, or did you just created that spots with careful aim of your shadow medium?

She looks fabulous! The IP really does wonders to bring out the realism, eduard has really changed how real these kits become with their IP's, seeing how great they look, it makes me want a set for every kit I will build, sure beats trying to paint those details by hand.

Look forward to the next update, she's a real beauty!

Anthony

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps, the seats are indeed devoid of any texture and so far I’ve used 5 shades of the base colour just to break them up a bit, the photo has exaggerated the shadow and highlights somewhat but they look okay in the flesh :thumbsup:

Regards

Dan 

• Like 3

Dan you may be able to help me, I'm after some 72nd  royal navy deck tie downs for my base, I'm only able to find US cross type ones,  do you know if any one does them? 

Thanks

Glynn 

Hi Glynn, I’m not aware that anybody makes Brit carrier deck tie downs tbh, they are different to the US version which is a shame but I think they could be scratched with some brass wire and plastic tubing. 

I’ll have to do a bit more research but I think it’s doable for a small section of deck especially in 72nd scale ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did notice the ijn ones in 72nd are similar, single straight bar, but failing a search there is photo of a aew 2 on the deck of uss Washington on the net 

Thanks

Glynn 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

The HAR3 is most like the HC4 of the Navy marks [e.g. reserve battery plate on the starboard side behind the RH pilot], but obviously the Junglie cabs had no radar, so probably didn’t have that access plate.

The similarities between 3 & 4 are, I presume, why Airfix has given us those two versions but nothing (yet) to represent any ASW aircraft (which were, when all is said and done, the aircraft’s bread and butter and vastly outnumbered the Crabs & Bunglies).  Even an HU5 would be a start...

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Error 404

Same here, I was able to open number 2 and 5, the rest gave me that error, which is a shame. I know very little about this aircraft and even less about how the RAF uses them. Which is a shame, but I am planning to correct these deficiencies as I later expand beyond my home military gear. As a US veteran, I am focusing my return to modeling on US equipment that I worked with. But as I am no longer a twenty something, and enjoy history a whole lot more than my school years (if I could do it over again, I would be a top student this time around). I plan to eventually expand out into other nations military gear, and our best friends, the British, are at the top of that list. This is a gorgeous bird, and being able to converse with those who crewed them, is an honor and rewarding in itself.

Cheers,

Anthony

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Dan

The two coiled cables hanging from the front bulkhead in the earlier cockpit photo, are they the classic mic with press button for communicating with the rest of the crew with or something else?

Cheers.

Part of the crew intercom, quick release plugs on the end to fit the crewman's bone domes, there are a few in the back for the other crew members 

so that they can move around the rear cabin.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 1

Contrary to the Hollywood movies, I've never flow in any cab where you can have a normal conversation with

without a headset. the noise is rather loud, my last flight in a HC 4, myself and loadie chatted using a note books and a MK 1 pencils. 

There was a shortage of headsets that worked on that cab so it was the best way in telling him where I wanted to get dropped 

off.

The same is also true with the Hercules, It make me laugh when you see the actors having a nice chat during flight in a film without a headset or two, they really were 

a giant alloy tube of noise. 

• Haha 1