Airfix Sea king HU5 build No2

Hi all,

Well this is a real turn out for the books, I've been commissioned to build another Airfix RN Sea King HU5,  by another member 

on the forum and he has agreed that it should go up as a WIP. 

So the bits that I was sent for the build.

P1060171

P1060172

P1060173

Decals are from the new Xtradecal sheet, they look rather good but it's a shame that they didn't provide some of the stencils. 

P1060175

P1060174

Bits will be liberated from the Revell kit to make up some of the RN specific Fit out, Large radome,  Orange crop boxes, etc,etc.

I'm not detailing up the interior as my previous build but the cockpit will  get a few extras, no crew this time as this will be on the ground.

I've got a few things to prep yet before I get started on this and once done I'll get cracking with the build. This one will be Rescue 27 so I'll be on the hunt for more ref pictures,

lucky that I saved all the others from my own build. 

So chaps, stay tuned 

Regards

Dan 

• Like 15

• 4 weeks later...

So we have cut plastic,  modifying the cockpit bulkhead, Airfix 

took the parts out of the HC4 kit so it's not accurate for a HU5.

Simple job of cutting a bit off.

P1060179

floor awaiting the HU mods 

P1060180

Rear windows being blocked in 

P1060178

P1060177

More later chaps 

Dan 

• Like 6

Aaarrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. The Airfix short shotter strikes again !

Not what you need at all, that will take a bit of fixing :confused: Bad drills by Airfix 

P1060181

P1060182

Bulkhead now in place. 

P1060183

Best get a mail over to Airfix and a replacement part ordered … 

Dan

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

You got me hooked! Ordered the Xtradecal sheet. I hope to do two from it, an HU5 and a HAS1. Have 2 Airfix kits so should be good. Also have a Revell kit, may have to do differently with that. 

Cheers for for the info on the decals!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A bit of an update, Telford is now out of the way 

and work has settled down slightly so I have a bit of bench time.

I've used a spare sea king fuselage side that the client sent me but it was primed on the sprue with I think Humbrol 

primer, this stuff wouldn't shift using the traditional methods such as Mr Muscle, IPA , Model strip and a few other products.

Hence the decision to use a new kit, I've managed to strip the primer off using a product by Tamiya for cleaning and prepping 

RC car bodies, not cheap stuff but it lifted off the primer with ease. 

P1060190

One of the side windows has been glued into place, this one will get painted over and sanded flush as it's deleted on the HU5 version.

P1060184

A complete engine housing 🙂 

P1060188

Cabin bulk head taking shape

P1060186

Refuelling cap filled, I'll scratch the RN port that sits under the main cabin door later.

P1060189

One item that I treated myself to at Telford was these, certainly not cheap but OMG …. these really are the dogs when it comes to side cutters,

no resistance when cutting at all and they cut clean with no stress marks on the plastic. The blades are so thin and sharp it's almost cutting into butter with a hot knife.

It comes with it's own leather cover, cleaning rag and hard plastic cover.

That's the Xuron cutters kicked into touch and held only as a spare :cyclops:

P1060191

P1060192

P1060193

Stay tuned for more.

Dan 

• Like 7

Cheers Roger,

So a bit more done, removing the RAF bits n Bobs from the underside also filled the rear cabin windows with Magic Sculpt, first pass with a sanding stick.

Tail has been popped together.

P1060195

P1060198

P1060196

P1060200

P1060201

More later 

Dan

• Like 8

Dan - you may well already know this, but as well as the pressure refuelling point (under the cargo door rather than behind, which was a mod for the HAR3 & HC4 to stop clodhopping boots standing on it - you’ve already started fixing that)... you also need to modify the port side.  Those two scoops (under the Observer’s window and immediately behind the port forward door) are gravity refuelling points... and once again the HAR3 & HC4 had a different configuration of fuel tanks from their ASW / AEW cousins.  Anyway, for an HU5 you need a third gravity refuelling point.

Oh, and those cutters are indeed the dog’s.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 4

Cheers Chaps :yes:

The refuelling points will all get done as per my first build, but good info for anyone who missed my first build.  This one is going to be wheels down

on the ground with a few FOD guards and RBF tags in place. Same levels of detail as my other build except the interior, the client wants doors closed 

and no crew in the seats. It should save a bit of time not going to mad on the cockpit and cabin.  Markings are going to be for cab 27 again from 771 NAS.

More later chaps and thanks for all the likes :thumbsup:

Dan  

Looking forward to seeing this progress, especially the scratching of the new fuelling points - I started one a while back which I really must get back to. I focused more on the interior as I wasn't keen on the idea of making the new fuelling point so hoping to learn something for next time: 

• Thanks 1