808 Sqn Hellcat MkII HMS Khedive

Davek72

As I have finally finished my Brits Abroad GB build I thought I would rather belatedly join the Pacific at War GB.  I must have something in the stash I thought...well I do but only just.  After trawling through a number of boxes I finally came across this kit.

44126896895_1e54aebce0_b.jpg

Most of the markings don’t qualify being either European or Japan based.  But this one does fit the bill I think.

30101893887_f41c75c1c5_b.jpg

This plane was on HMS Khedive about which more info can be found here, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Khedive_(D62)

What confused me slightly was the reference to HMS Trincomalee.   The only HMS Trincomalee I could find reference to was sold for scrap in 1897.  See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Trincomalee for further details.  Trincomalee is however a district of Ceylon and a major RAF base in WWII.   Am I missing something or has Eduard made a mistake?

Dave

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

Tricomalee was an RN Base in Ceylon now Shri Lanka.

I think Khedive served with the British Eastern Fleet...

Just to keep you going...

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205157070

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

Tricomalee was an RN Base in Ceylon now Shri Lanka.

I think Khedive served with the British Eastern Fleet...

Just to keep you going...

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205157070

Thanks Grey that makes sense. Cheers for the link as well.

Dave

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

HMS Trincomalee is currently floating in Hartlepool's graving dock.  She is a beautifully restored frigate of the Napoleonic era, although missed the actual combat period.

Would love to see her as I also like making static model ships from time time aka every 5 years or so 😀

4 hours ago, Greg Law said:

It will be good to see this plane done in that scheme.

Thanks Greg.  I hope to do her justice.  

Dave

• Like 1

Quick check of the Royal Navy Research Archive and the Fleet Air Arm Officers' Association website reveals the following:

RNAS Trincomalee:  Originally known as RNAS China Bay and commissioned as HMS BAMBARA 01.01.1944 to comprise the air station and associated RN Aircraft Maintenance Yard Clappenburg Bay and Naval Accommodation Camp Nachchikunda.  China Bay was later renamed RNAS Trincomolee.  Took over transit and holding camp task from HMS MAYINA (in Colombo) on 18.03.1946.

It was originally R.A.F.Station China Bay opened 01.08.1938 with RN lodger facility from August 1940. Station transferred to Admiralty 15.11.1944.

It was situated on the west side of Trincomalee harbour, on the neck of the peninsula which separates the harbour from Tambalagam bay on the west.  the town of Trincomalee, on the east side of the harbour, lies 3 miles NE.

808 is listed as one of the squadrons that operated from there whilst the Sqn battle honour shows both Burma and East Indies in 1945

So I think all that Eduard have done is make the same mistake that many people do with Royal Naval Air Stations by forgetting that "RNAS" is usually followed by its geographic location (RNAS Yeovilton, RNAS Culdrose etc,) but it's commissioned name as HMS will be mostly completely unrelated (Yeovilton = HMS HERON, Culdrose = HMS SEAHAWK for example).  The "RNAS" comprises the flying aspects of the base (runways, air traffic, hangars, air engineering), the "HMS" includes all of the support activities, accomdation, pay, medical etc.

Hope that helps

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 4

welcome aboard with an interesting subject and scheme.

We don't normally see Hellcats in this sort of scheme so it's great to see one and it's location is perfect for this GB.

Sorry for the delay in welcoming you, I had been busy off line and have been trying to catch up with all the builds, and hadn't look in the main thread for a bit!!

Anyway, glad you could join us, good luck with her, and I look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2018 at 8:56 AM, Chewbacca said:

Quick check of the Royal Navy Research Archive and the Fleet Air Arm Officers' Association website reveals the following:

RNAS Trincomalee:  Originally known as RNAS China Bay and commissioned as HMS BAMBARA 01.01.1944 to comprise the air station and associated RN Aircraft Maintenance Yard Clappenburg Bay and Naval Accommodation Camp Nachchikunda.  China Bay was later renamed RNAS Trincomolee.  Took over transit and holding camp task from HMS MAYINA (in Colombo) on 18.03.1946.

It was originally R.A.F.Station China Bay opened 01.08.1938 with RN lodger facility from August 1940. Station transferred to Admiralty 15.11.1944.

It was situated on the west side of Trincomalee harbour, on the neck of the peninsula which separates the harbour from Tambalagam bay on the west.  the town of Trincomalee, on the east side of the harbour, lies 3 miles NE.

808 is listed as one of the squadrons that operated from there whilst the Sqn battle honour shows both Burma and East Indies in 1945

So I think all that Eduard have done is make the same mistake that many people do with Royal Naval Air Stations by forgetting that "RNAS" is usually followed by its geographic location (RNAS Yeovilton, RNAS Culdrose etc,) but it's commissioned name as HMS will be mostly completely unrelated (Yeovilton = HMS HERON, Culdrose = HMS SEAHAWK for example).  The "RNAS" comprises the flying aspects of the base (runways, air traffic, hangars, air engineering), the "HMS" includes all of the support activities, accomdation, pay, medical etc.

Hope that helps

Thanks C that is really really interesting.   I have to admit I didn’t know about the difference between the RNAS and the HMS designations.   The great thing about this hobby if that you are constantly learning.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 10:53 PM, trickyrich said:

welcome aboard with an interesting subject and scheme.

We don't normally see Hellcats in this sort of scheme so it's great to see one and it's location is perfect for this GB.

Sorry for the delay in welcoming you, I had been busy off line and have been trying to catch up with all the builds, and hadn't look in the main thread for a bit!!

Anyway, glad you could join us, good luck with her, and I look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

Cheers Rich.  I have been rather tied up at work for the last couple of weeks but will post an update shortly.  

D

On 10/13/2018 at 7:19 PM, Beard said:

I'll be following because Eduard Hellcat is a cracker of a kit and the scheme you've chosen is a splendid.

Cheers Beard.   It has certainly been a lovely kit to build so far.  

Dave

• Like 1

So a little bit of progress made.  

Cockpit went together very nicely.  Painted with my usual Vallejo’s and some ink washes.  I used 90% of the photoetch but I am afraid life is too short sometimes for those tiny tiny bits of metal that will disappear in the mix (and usually in my case into the carpet).

45144093321_1d52d13166_b.jpg

Instrument panel was a lovely mini kit in its own right.

45144094371_345505674e_b.jpg

Cheers

Dave

• Like 5

that cockpit looks very smart Dave, well done.

I'm with you on the tiny PE bits, if it can't be seen properly or you don't notice it then it's left off! Had too many fights with the carpet monster trying to find those wee bits!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 12:41 AM, wimbledon99 said:

Had to drop in when you said you were building this!! :popcorn::popcorn:

Looks great so far! :smile:

Cheers Wimbledon.   Coming together now.  Unfort have been ill and working too hard so not much posting going on.

Dave

On 10/23/2018 at 1:29 PM, trickyrich said:

that cockpit looks very smart Dave, well done.

I'm with you on the tiny PE bits, if it can't be seen properly or you don't notice it then it's left off! Had too many fights with the carpet monster trying to find those wee bits!!

Cheers.  I think the only way to approach PE is pragmatically.  If it adds to the build use it.  If it’s just there to annoy then ditch.

Dave

On 10/24/2018 at 12:22 PM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Dave

Very good job on the cockpit 👍

Cheers

Patrice

Thanks Patrice.  As always much of it gets lost once you close up the fuselage but it still fun to do.

Dave

As mentioned above a nasty chest infection has meant that modelling has taken a bit of a back seat.   Still there has been some progress.

Engine coming together complete with a spiderweb of PE.

30663670177_983c4244e2_b.jpg

Fuselage together.

31732267278_976a4ae5de_b.jpg

45604623541_e2eaf0d2b3_b.jpg

I decided to use this model to practice rescribing panel lines which has always been a weak spot of my modelling skills.  I am reasonably happy with how it came out.

I used an assortment of tools for the job.

44690606815_52cf0101fb_b.jpg

Cheers for looking.

Dave

• Like 5

6 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Looks good!! I have to admit to leaving the PE off of the engine due to what would be seen once completed. You've put me to shame!! :wink:

Thanks W.  No shame involved you made the right choice.  😉

• Like 1

The first real day of modelling in about 2 months.   Mrs K is in a good mood.  Also helped that I have been working in the house rather than in my workshop (no airbrush unfort).   

This is is where I got to by dinner time (I.e. now). 

45877633452_0d73c89450_b.jpg

32055955468_5605c304ff_b.jpg

45877633792_2821acbde0_b.jpg

Plenty of things to touch up and I can’t help feeling the blue is too dark...but a productive day.

Dave

• Like 8

Nice progress Dave and I had to have a chuckle at the line ‘Mrs K is in a good mood’ !! I have to say that my Missus is also my modelling barometer at times. She’s loves jigsaws however can complete a 1000 piece one inside a weekend, it really puts my modelling to shame. The kids and I tend to shower her with jigsaws, not because she doesn’t have any, rather to take her mind off pestering the rest of us!! 

Anyway - this Hellcat is looking really nice. I’ve never used PE, so you’ve more that used up enough of what I deem ‘you can see’. It’s funny how the Hellcat is one of those subjects that I’ve never quite taken a 2nd look at, however Airfix recent announcement has now got me looking at acquiring a couple of these great Eduard kits. 

Apolgies for just seeing this thread now, I’ve been way too busy myself but hope to rectify that from this weekend onwards. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 1

she looks great!! :thumbsup:

I see you have the same opinion I have to panel lines & wee PE (actually most PE) parts!! All the handy work of Beelzebub himself sent to annoy and frustrate modellers of the world.....and feed carpet monsters!

Not too long to go and it'll be time to post her in the gallery.

Wow - That's great progress!! Looking good :like:

What blue did you use? I went with the Tamiya 'Sea Blue' (XF17) and also thought it was too dark. It was supposed to be the match for the Gunze paint that was listed on the instruction booklet