Wingnut Wings 1/32 Jeannin Stahltaube

Hi folks.

Ever since gawping open mouthed at Mike Grant's lovely DH-2, in a prior issue of Airfix Model World, I've nursed an ambition to have a go at the trompe l'oeil effect Mike expertly rendered, giving the illusion of a semi translucent wing, revealing some sight of the structures within.

The superb taube from Wingnut seemed a perfect foil to try a little French 'slight of airbrush'.

First thing that whacks you in the kisser, when you lift the lid is the amazing moulding achievements in the wings. Backlighting here reveals the wafer thin flexing 'aileron' portion and the 'fingers' within.

1_Stahl_Taube_IP_edited-1.jpg

The tank in the forward cockpit was a fair target for abuse; here 'worn effects' liquid, some brush scrubbing and heat from a hairdryer distressed, cracked and flaked the top colour. A little clear varnish was misted over to gently 'fix' the damaged paint.

10_Stahl_Taube_IP.jpg

The fully assembled and rigged interior includes a portion of the lower fuselage. As per other WW kits it's a snug fit but correctly aligned, it all slots in.

24_Stahl_Taube_IP_edited-1.jpg

The trompe l'oeil paint, viewed from above the inverted model...

20_Taube.jpg

...and then as nature intended.

image.jpg

The build guide had a couple of period images that revealed the 'turned' cowling in the way depicted here, so the WW methodology was bypassed for a homespun approach that mimicked the photographs without dependency on the direction of the light.

17_Taube.jpg

While the taube is a rigging junkie's dream, I recognise it may, at the same time, dissuade others from taking the plunge because of the perceived complexity. No need to fear it though, if you apply a few basic rules - rig the fuselage first, leaving the wings off until that's done / add the wings and rig the lowers first / rig the top sections / do all the rigging from the centre first, working outwards / use wire eyelets, tiny sections of brass tube and elastic rigging thread for safe, dependable lines and anchors / .  

15_Taube.jpg

Always a huge buzz to see your latest in print and you'll find the nine page coverage of the taube in the latest (November) issue of Airfix Model World.

Wish you all well with your own projects! Till next time.

Steve

• Like 55
  • Thanks 6

Beautiful build, congratulations. I quickly jumped to those pages when my magazine was delivered. Top class, modelling indeed. 

I bought this a while back, because, well you just have to. 

Whenever I get round to it, I'd be very, very happy if it ended up half as good as this. I quite enjoy doing rigging but as yet have never used eyelets or turnbuckles. 

All the best,  Martin.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BIG X said:

Well - given it's you Steve we would expect a 'beautiful result' - but it is a 'beautiful result' - :goodjob:

Cheers BX - going to Telford this year?

14 hours ago, Twentecable said:

Great modelling, it just looks real. Its so miles ahead...

Gr tc

Thanks T - that's very generous.

13 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Stunning, great article in AMW as well.

Glad you enjoyed it F!

3 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Stunning result. It looks so realistic.

Thanks AD!

TTFN

Steve

What a stunning representation of one of the most graceful-looking aircraft ever to have been produced! Well done, you should be very proud of this one.

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1

Lovely Stahltaube.

The rigging is awesome.

Such interesting subjects, the variety of 'Taubes' built is surprising, practically no two aircraft were identical. 

The Jeannin Stahltaube has the most reliable reference material available which is perhaps why wingnut went for this instead of one of the many others.

• Like 1

Hi Steve, hope you're well?! What a fantastic job you've done there mate! Absolutely stunning in every respect. I look forward to getting my copy of AMW soon and reading the article.

Edit: I couldn't wait until my next visit to the UK, so bought the digital version! Downloading now, off to make a coffee, then sit back and relax with a good read!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ray S said:

What a stunning representation of one of the most graceful-looking aircraft ever to have been produced! Well done, you should be very proud of this one.

All the best,

Ray

Cheers Ray! I'm certainly happy to have navigated this one without (for once!) breaking off the rudder pulley or bracing struts that hang off the wing tips and tailplane edges lol

It's a remarkable kit but then Wingnut are synonymous with that and so much more.

16 hours ago, exdraken said:

What should I say....

Perfect!!

Thanks E!

15 hours ago, SUB-SAM said:

Lovely Stahltaube.

The rigging is awesome.

Such interesting subjects, the variety of 'Taubes' built is surprising, practically no two aircraft were identical. 

The Jeannin Stahltaube has the most reliable reference material available which is perhaps why wingnut went for this instead of one of the many others.

Much appreciated and thanks for the infill on the variety of taube designs.

6 hours ago, Mark said:

Hi Steve, hope you're well?! What a fantastic job you've done there mate! Absolutely stunning in every respect. I look forward to getting my copy of AMW soon and reading the article.

Edit: I couldn't wait until my next visit to the UK, so bought the digital version! Downloading now, off to make a coffee, then sit back and relax with a good read!

Hi Mark!

I'm an overweight lump but working on that - thanks for the nod on the taube. What are you putting together at the minute?

I'm looking forward to heading off to Telford next month; I have a 48 hour pass from the sturmbahn führer. Top of the bill for me will be the 1/32 HKM Lancaster production kit and the test shots of the Wingnut Wings Lancs that will apparently fly off the shelves the back end of next year. Stone. The. Flamin'. Crows! 

Take it easy.

Steve