Bf-109 G-6 DB 605 engine

Lightning88

Outstanding! Beautiful restoration, too! Sounds a lot like a Merlin at speed. Thanks so much for posting the video, but it can't be a real '109 as all of the fuselage stations aren't inked in! I would love to see and hear any Bf-109 variant fly. 👍

Mike

• Like 2

Wow! Thanks for posting, put a smile on my face :D I've seen the restored "Red 7" (G-4 rebuilt from Buchon) at an airshow and the noise is something else. It's the supercharger whine that really does it. Goosebumps indeed. I'm very glad these guys are working on more restorations, there are very few 109s around!

From what I can gather, this is an actual restored G-6 that crash-landed in 1944, as opposed to a rebuilt Buchon. Am I right?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vlad said:

Wow! Thanks for posting, put a smile on my face :D I've seen the restored "Red 7" (G-4 rebuilt from Buchon) at an airshow and the noise is something else. It's the supercharger whine that really does it. Goosebumps indeed. I'm very glad these guys are working on more restorations, there are very few 109s around!

From what I can gather, this is an actual restored G-6 that crash-landed in 1944, as opposed to a rebuilt Buchon. Am I right?

Yes, that's correct and as you say its great to see some more DB605 powered machines flying :) Here's some info from Pete's link:

WNF produced G-6, flown by Lt Schulte, crashed on May 29th 1944 near Melk/Austria. The wreck was recovered and the Austrian Michael Rinner started to restore it in 2007.
In 2013, the project was bought by Air Fighter Academy in Zirchow/Germany and the restoration was fully finished (I think) in 2017.

Very nice video. Also love the sound of that kind of engine, but did you notice the black exhaust when he poured on the coal? Something that has been mentioned again and again in accounts from WW2.

/Finn

5 hours ago, FinnAndersen said:

Very nice video. Also love the sound of that kind of engine, but did you notice the black exhaust when he poured on the coal? Something that has been mentioned again and again in accounts from WW2.

/Finn

I'm just guessing here, but this was in the days before electronic fuel injection, so I'm thinking when the throttle was applied quickly to the gate, the injection pump dumped a lot of fuel into the intake manifold, causing a very rich mixture momentarily until the rpm built up enough to allow the engine to handle the air/fuel mixture- this would cause a sooty black exhaust due to the excess unburned fuel. Carbureted or fuel injected autos that are running too rich exhibit the same symptoms and the inside of the tailpipe will have a soft black sooty  coating.

Mike

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I'm just guessing here, but this was in the days before electronic fuel injection, so I'm thinking when the throttle was applied quickly to the gate, the injection pump dumped a lot of fuel into the intake manifold, causing a very rich mixture momentarily until the rpm built up enough to allow the engine to handle the air/fuel mixture- this would cause a sooty black exhaust due to the excess unburned fuel. Carbureted or fuel injected autos that are running too rich exhibit the same symptoms and the inside of the tailpipe will have a soft black sooty  coating.

Mike

More or less. The DB605 engine has direct fuel injection (as far as I was told), so what we are seeing is just that the engine gets an excess of fuel, i.e. what amounts to a rich mixture.

But the point were that a lot of WW2 pilots has mentioned this as a fact when chasing ME109's

Edited by FinnAndersen

9 hours ago, FinnAndersen said:

More or less. The DB605 engine has direct fuel injection (as far as I was told), so what we are seeing is just that the engine gets an excess of fuel, i.e. what amounts to a rich mixture.

But the point were that a lot of WW2 pilots has mentioned this as a fact when chasing ME109's

That's right- I remember reading ace Bud Anderson stating he could always tell when a Bf-109 pilot poured on the coal, as you would see the exhaust emitting a thick black trail.

Mike