Revell 1/2700 Imperial Star Destroyer

I know this has been done a few times on here, but I'd like to share my journey if that's OK? 

This will be my first model in about 20 years so I will be happy to receive any hints and tips and feedback.

Obligatory box shot:

212e8ca517665b8da0fe8e1f893a8e39a8c5abd9

First job is to drill hundreds and hundreds of 0.5mm holes to accept the fibre optics...

02ba5101b9f98b68320521c3d66626e342a0f2fc

This is probably going to be the most time consuming job, especially using that little hand drill. 

I did dive into the garage to grab my dremel and flexible drive shaft, but alas, the chuck doesn’t accept anything as small as 0.5mm, so unless I can source an adapter,  I've got a good few days of twizzelling ahead of me! 

I'll probably give in to temptation and buy the 1/2700 Millennium Falcon and Tantive IV from shapeways. so it's going to a sort of dual purpose version of the ISD Devastator from ANH & TESB.

Paint will be a base of Halfords grey primer, then individual panels picked out in a darker shade of grey Tamiya acrylic,  followed by a few light dustings of Halfords white primer and then a matt clear coat of some kind. I'll be applying a panel wash too, would that go on before or after the clear?

Edited by Rob998
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2018 at 9:18 PM, Rob998 said:

Paint will be a base of Halfords grey primer, then individual panels picked out in a darker shade of grey Tamiya acrylic,  followed by a few light dustings of Halfords white primer and then a matt clear coat of some kind. I'll be applying a panel wash too, would that go on before or after the clear?

Cool project, look forward to following.

I would think the panel line wash should be after the clear coat - the clear will act as a sort of 'barrier' between the paint and the panel wash. 
Otherwise, if you're removing the panel wash, you could take some of the paint with it.

Am sure others more knowledgeable than me will chip in...

• Like 1

• 7 months later...