This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Kallisti

Great Model Railway Challenge (Channel 5)

Yep and quite enjoyed it. The best layout won in my view. It was simple, effective and not overly complicated.

Regards,

Steve

Agreed, that other one was overly arrogant and boastful.

Good program , bodes well for the rest of the series.

Enjoyed it - But was there any need for the adenoidal announcer on the Tannoy? 

(You've just said that in your head in an adenoidal manner, haven't you...)

Posted (edited)

Just watched it, enjoyed it, good fun.

Glad Missenden didn’t win, they were taking the wee wee and arrogant too.  At least they were respectful in defeat.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

Saw second episode yesterday - good to see that the best team won again.

Think I saw a gaff, Tim Shaw, who has already professed a knowledge of tanks, picks up a model Tiger and calls it a Panzer IV.

Cheers,

Nigel

I chanced across it and really enjoyed it. Again I think the best team one, the Sci Fi layout had the railway as an incidental, the winners had it at the heart of the entry.

Agreed, really enjoyed the winning entry, especially the secret surprise :)

I’m not into trains at all but I watched the first one for the modelling aspect. I too as above thought it was ok but that team boss got just deserts. Anyway I thought the programme was dented by the unique scratch build element. My wife used to watched a home makeover programme on BBC2 that had that beardy bloke in it that also had a weird challenge during the programme, so perhaps he has bought it with him?.

Steve.

Just watched the third episode - again the best team won, which is good to see.

But what about the big lad on the steampunk team whose job was to airbrush a few small sheds and assemble some card kit buildings.  What a whiner.  Was moaning the sheds were too much work.  Then when he was making poor progress they moved him onto card kits.  He moaned that he had never done a card kit before, then when he started he moaned that there were too many parts, and he failed to complete even one.  Basically the guy was ballast.

The girl on the same team with the buoyancy aids made up for it though.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

Good lord what a whiner! "I pushed myself to the limit, mentally and physically" for gods sake its not running a bloody marathon, its airbrushing a few beach huts - badly by the looks of it as well, did you see the paint runs?

I did like "Pungerbird 1" though :) Yup, the right team won again, every inventive.

Edited by Kallisti

Just watched the fourth episode, very entertaining but now I have a criticism of the show.

In the first three there was an out and out way in front winner so the scoring didn’t really matter.  With this one it was not that clear at all. 

Throughout the episode and the series the judges keep saying you will be judged on ‘these’ categories and “they will be marked down in their scores for that”.  So I would actually like to see the scores.

The show states that the scoring categories are

1 - Quality of build

2 - Interpretation of theme

3 - How well the layouts function

4 - Scratch build challenge

So the winners did well in 1, 3 and 4, and practically zero in 2

But for 3, I would say that their layout was pretty simple so there wasn’t so much to function

For example it would be interesting to know whether the Diesel guys were marked down in functionality because their lorry crashed.

I do agree that the Fawley guys just pipped it but I don’t like how the scoring is hidden (if it exists at all) making it feel like the judges gut feel, and if it were any closer you might start thinking how many brownie pounts did Fawley get for being hosts.

Still satisfied that the best team one but a lot closer than previous episodes and it would be nice to see the actual scoring especially when things get close - should be really important in the Grand Final.

Cheers,

Nigel

35 minutes ago, nheather said:

Just watched the fourth episode, very entertaining but now I have a criticism of the show.

In the first three there was an out and out way in front winner so the scoring didn’t really matter.  With this one it was not that clear at all. 

Throughout the episode and the series the judges keep saying you will be judged on ‘these’ categories and “they will be marked down in their scores for that”.  So I would actually like to see the scores.

The show states that the scoring categories are

1 - Quality of build

2 - Interpretation of theme

3 - How well the layouts function

4 - Scratch build challenge

So the winners did well in 1, 3 and 4, and practically zero in 2

But for 3, I would say that their layout was pretty simple so there wasn’t so much to function

For example it would be interesting to know whether the Diesel guys were marked down in functionality because their lorry crashed.

I do agree that the Fawley guys just pipped it but I don’t like how the scoring is hidden (if it exists at all) making it feel like the judges gut feel, and if it were any closer you might start thinking how many brownie pounts did Fawley get for being hosts.

Still satisfied that the best team one but a lot closer than previous episodes and it would be nice to see the actual scoring especially when things get close - should be really important in the Grand Final.

Cheers,

Nigel

Have to agree with you on the judging. I thought the Fawley  layout was magnificent but did it meet the theme? Not sure on that at all. It felt like they built a layout they wanted to build and and fudged the theme., with a few LEDs and a some wagons.

The only one that met the theme was the Railway Children and their layout was a mess.

I probably taking the whole thing to seriously.

2 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Have to agree with you on the judging. I thought the Fawley  layout was magnificent but did it meet the theme? Not sure on that at all. It felt like they built a layout they wanted to build and and fudged the theme., with a few LEDs and a some wagons.

The only one that met the theme was the Railway Children and their layout was a mess.

I probably taking the whole thing to seriously.

Fully agree.  I think there should be a much higheir weighting on the theme.  It is after all the primary requirement, “we want you to build a tank”, “sorry, don’t like tanks, so I built this plane instead”, “yes very nice, but it doesn’t matter how good it is, you didn’t do what was asked, you failed”.

I also think it is unfair on the other competitors who put effort into doing what was asked which might take time away from things like perfect build quality.

I also suspect that ‘functionality’ needs more transparency.  If someone does a single train which works perfectly, whereas another has multiple trains, lines and other operating features that has some faults, which one scores more highly.  I suspect that Fawley were scored higher on functionality than the Diesels because their simple layout worked perfectly - but Diesels put a lot more effort, complexity and interest into it.

I think the weighting should/could be something like this

Theme - 50%

Quality - 20%

Functionality - 20% (broken down into basic, enhanced and special effects)

Scratch Build - 10%

Maybe play with the numbers a bit, but the point is that the theme should carry a lot of weight as the primary requirement.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

Best thing about this show (IMHO) is the way it takes a gentle pop at the other "Talent" shows on the box that tales the judging so seriously.  (" . .   and tonight's winner is   .   .   .   .).  

This was a tough one to judge - the winner's pretty much ignored the theme and produced a superb looking and functioning layout. Their scratch build challenge entry was the best of any episode so far, truly a great piece of scratch building! It was a shame the other team's truck had an accident - their entry was also superbly built and functioned very well and they made an effort to include the theme.

As usual there was the 'erratic' modeller who needed special handling with his viaduct which amused me, we all know those ones :D

The third team made a valiant effort but were slightly over ambitious and their inexperience really showed, but they did well. 

I think there was a bit of politics going on as the winners were the 'home' team so there might have been a little pressure on the production team to look upon them more favourably and not worry so much about their lack of theme alignment.

good program tonight the best team won IMHO. Won't see the final live as I will be trying to empty the halls at Telford next week. Got it programmed on the recorder though.

This was the toughest of them all to judge, they were all very well made. Shame the Shunters ran out of resin, that would have been the winner if they had that sorted. Loved the log flume!

You can tell these are genuine modellers, some real stubbon, obstinate, complaining guys in there - Wakefield team this week.

Cheers,

Nigel

This has been a real boost to the hobby of railway modelling and it's a real shame we will never see a similar project for our hobby.  The ONLY down-side (IMHO) is the illusion it may put in peoples' minds that the average person could put a layout together in a matter of hours.  It's like those "sixty minute makeovers" that they have on house decoration - sorry, in the real world there is no way you could redecorate a lounge (including painting the woodwork and ceilings and doing the wallpaper) in that amount of time.  I wonder how much domestic strife that illusion has caused!

FWIW, I think the right team won.

8 hours ago, Dave Batt said:

FWIW, I think the right team won.

I think so too.  It was a split decision, I don’t think the magazine editor was comfortable with such a big departure from the model railway norm and preferred the one that did the cold war layout (can’t remember their names).

I think he thought the sky city was too much polystyrene and cotton wool but I thought the result was very effective.  I think the lady judge prefers the creativity over function and accuracy so voted for the sky city.

Cheers,

Nigel

I think there should be a Britmodeller team in next year's event. Any volunteers?

On 11/11/2018 at 5:58 PM, bhouse said:

I think there should be a Britmodeller team in next year's event. Any volunteers?

I'd be no good.  I'd do loads of research of what the best tools and products would be.  I would buy loads of boxes of stuff.  I would open each one and have a drool over it.  I would then pick one and glue a couple of parts together.  Then I'd decide that I'm not really sure about that so I'd go and do some more research and then open another box instead.

At the end of the three days I will have 20 barely started mini projects and the world's most over-engineered bracket after I'd decided the perfectly good off-the-shelf bracket wasn't quite right and needed improving.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather