Zenith of the Golden Era ‒ The P-26 Peashooter

This Boeing P-26 of the 17th Pursuit Group's headquarter section was my first exhibit for Britmodeller. It is possibly the personal mount of the Deputy Group Commander, based at March Field, CA in the spring of 1935, shortly before the Peashooters were handed over to the 20th PG and the group became the 17th Attack Group.

51677455115_f90bb36fa3_b.jpg

51676574556_8c8afeeb4e_c.jpg

I decided to do a little upgrading on this fairly good Hobbycraft kit. Besides installing a Vector R-1340 engine and cockpit detail from Eduard (48 265) I replaced the prop blades (too short), the wheels (too narrow), the windscreen (too thick) and added hollow blast tubes, new carburettor intakes and a few more things. The following pictures show two other modifications: the additional covers around the rear of the cylinders and the gap between elevator and stabilizer (I removed, sanded and re-attached the elevators).

43303357310_10950eff55_b.jpg

To fix the rigging wires to the undercarriage I drilled through the fairings, rebuilt the tips with paper jackets and, after assembly, pulled Griffin Jewelry Wire through the wheel spats. (Two different grades of wire were used on the Peashooter). This method required an unusual approach of installing the wheels later.

43303357580_96f5a07dfa_b.jpg

There is a couple of bugs that I spotted too late and didn't correct. The engine face plate appears a trifle too small, but it's a very nice piece and I wouldn't know how to change it apart from vacu-forming a completely new one. In hindsight it would have been easy to adjust the second small error, which is the position of the upper cable fairings on the inside of the wheel spats. They should be higher up towards the wing than shown in the instructions to have the wires go across more symmetrically.

43303357860_ed47b18bd6_b.jpg

30179109147_9b568a314e_b.jpg

43303358460_624b230e3f_b.jpg

30179109797_8d0c9d900d_b.jpg

All 17th PG markings are home-made since they are not represented well on any decal sheet. Likewise, the available underwing 'ARMY' inscription (Starfighter Decals 4001), which is too wide across the span, needed to be applied letter by letter with less space in-between. Unfortunately my printer's color cartridge failed when I printed the group crest and I didn't get the texture as clear as I wanted.

51676574526_1fb8b70ce0_b.jpg

I thought the Matchbox 1930 Packard Victoria in 1/43 is an amusing complement to give a feeling for the era. You will notice the modified front. When I was 13 years old my father accidentally stepped on the car and broke the headlights - big drama!

I hope you enjoy the pictures and my experience with the Hobbycraft kit is useful.

Happy modelling!  Michael

References

Boeing P-26A, Profile Publications No.14, Peter M. Bowers, Leatherhead

Air Corps, J. V. Mizrahi, Northridge, 1970

Boeing P-26 "Peashooter", Aero Series No.22, Edward T. Maloney, Fallbrook, 1973

Boeing P-26 Variants, Aerofax Minigraph 8, Peter Bowers, Arlington, 1984

P-26, Mini in Action No.2, Larry Davis, Squadron Signal Publications, Carrollton, 1994

The Official Monogram US Army Air Service & Air Corps Aircraft Color Guide Vol.1, Robert D. Archer, Sturbridge, 1995

51581532180_7ff38d3488_b.jpg

The P-26 has now been joined by the contemporary Kawasaki Ki-10 which I built as my contribution to the 'High Wing' groupbuild here. Both were active in China in the fall of 1937. While the Peashooter appears more advanced it was perhaps not as efficient and successful as the 'Perry'. With comparable performance ratios the Ki-10 was faster and climbed better.  This juxtaposition is a fine illustration of the technology transition that occurred in the thirties.

• Like 62
  • Thanks 1

On 06/10/2018 at 22:49, opus999 said:

What a great model! you did a fantastic job with the painting and rigging.  Love the Packard too!

On 05/10/2018 at 23:54, pheonix said:

That is a beautiful model. The rigging is great and the finish first class.

P

On 05/10/2018 at 23:20, Des said:

Great job , well researched and executed as well as being very nicely rigged

Thanks for your kind comments on the rigging. I hadn't rigged a model for 20 years and wasn't sure it would work out on my P-26, particularly as I tried new material. But I'm very satisfied with the Griffin Jewelry Wire. It has a coat of plastic around the steel core that reacts very positively with super glue and the attachment stays firm even when pulled hard. I actually use the wires to stablise the construction (like in the real world) and to apply the appropriate dihedral. This, however, needed a few attempts before I got it right...

Cheers, Michael

• 4 months later...

Looks great! I live near March ARB and the base has shrunk considerably. I've walked the area that is now public land and you get the feeling that the place is full of interesting history. The legendary XB-19 conducted testing out of March. It was a SAC base for a long time and I still remember the B-52's filling the sky with thick black smoke when I was a kid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

I live near March ARB and the base has shrunk considerably. I've walked the area that is now public land and you get the feeling that the place is full of interesting history.

These are nice memories. March Field may not have been as large either in the thirties. Next to the 17th PG it also hosted the 7th Bombardment Group which was equipped with the then brand-new Martin B-10 in 1934.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Great Build!

Built one of these years ago. I used flat wire for rigging the landing/flying wires. Invisible thread for the radio wires. 

My "ship" was from the 94th pursuit squadron. Blue colored! Indian head markings! 

Probably the best Hobbycraft kit I ever built. Loads of fun.

Edited by Mike Esposito
  • Like 1

• Toryu changed the title to Zenith of the Golden Era ‒ The P-26 Peashooter