1/12 Halcyon Power Loader and 1/12 Halcyon Alien Queen Diorama

Hi everyone, this is my next diorama project. I've had these kits in my stash for a few years, but having completed the Space Jockey build, I thought now would be a great time to get this project started. Hoping to get the Power Loader finished first, before I start on Her Majesty!
A0ZAaTr.jpg
PBmui7p.jpg
Cp2eBmd.jpg
OeOx5QL.jpg
VRHp0wp.jpg
3fSPVyE.jpg
fSEuXc4.jpg
FWuabUW.jpg
EZtZGol.jpg
virRz0g.jpg
pY6ojWT.jpg
Gr9hJyW.jpg
qvLW2NQ.jpg
q2Ke8tQ.jpg

• Like 16

How delightfully done. I'm jealous as hell... as those two kits (and the dropship) have been on my wanted list for many years. No chance of getting them now [unless I take up bank robbery or Internet fraud as a secondary hobby 🙂 ] but I love to see them being built - living vicariously I CAN afford!

Great job with the lighting, Looking forward to see what you do about the platform they fought each other on. Given the quality of your loader, the scene should be VERY evocative.

Kev

2 hours ago, modelman182 said:

How delightfully done. I'm jealous as hell... as those two kits (and the dropship) have been on my wanted list for many years. No chance of getting them now [unless I take up bank robbery or Internet fraud as a secondary hobby 🙂 ] but I love to see them being built - living vicariously I CAN afford!

Great job with the lighting, Looking forward to see what you do about the platform they fought each other on. Given the quality of your loader, the scene should be VERY evocative.

Kev

Cheers Kev,just to depress or excite you more i have the Dropship and Nostromo and a few others that i snapped up about 4yrs ago.

Yes the base is going to need some thought but i have a few ideas for it.

Cool... I look forward to seeing the result. I am, of course, infinitely jealous of your possessions -  you rat!"

HEH HEH HEH

kEV

Edited by modelman182

Hi all, I've completed part 1 of my classic Aliens movie diorama. The Power Loader was a really fun project, I enjoyed the weathering and adding the lighting. I also added a few small nuts and bolts to give some more realism to the model. I'm now working on the Alien Queen, however one of the pictures shows Ripley getting some practice in with my 1/9 Dog Alien I built a while back, enjoy the pics!

dq5hR6v.jpg
mEzhqD4.jpg
juSPQZG.jpg
pqjnkQE.jpg
PgYb1TB.jpg
9bqgihH.jpg
NdYqGNx.jpg
WRhKOut.jpg
JWZ2PIi.jpg
22M9o10.jpg
ILqycGP.jpg
kTownBT.jpg
bUeQI92.jpg
A0Gdl81.jpg
wg5oHgU.jpg
sCDRNNj.jpg
BE34BPD.jpg
OfpGcjj.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Caerbannog said:

Nice build on the Power Loader. How did you do the spinning warning light? Does it spin?

Take care with the Queens legs. In my kit they are vinyl and they sag. I wish they would be resin or other more stiff stuff.

:popcorn:

Hi,yes the light on top does spin,i had no plans to build this kit unless i could get all the lighting looking correct,i bought a RC light off Ebay it's designed for rc trucks etc,there are three wires,red black orange,i cut the orange wire off,all of the lighting is powered from a twin button battery pack,with built in switch,works great.

I posted a short video of it working with all the lights on Modelerstube . com,as for my Queen kit the legs and arms are all solid,so no issues there,but thanks for your interest.

On 10/5/2018 at 9:48 PM, Rob998 said:

Love that The Queen has stilletto heel bones. 😍

Legend has it that Queenie's legs were based on the dancer Cyd Charisse's own set of pins. How true this is, is anyone's guess, but I remember reading it in the Cinefex magazine article about the "Aliens" production. 

Cheers.

Chris.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Legend has it that Queenie's legs were based on the dancer Cyd Charisse's own set of pins. How true this is, is anyone's guess, but I remember reading it in the Cinefex magazine article about "Aliens" production. 

Cheers.

Chris.   

Dunno about that,looks more like Tina Turner with those heels!

16 hours ago, Lee Chambers said:

Hi,yes the light on top does spin,i had no plans to build this kit unless i could get all the lighting looking correct,i bought a RC light off Ebay it's designed for rc trucks etc,there are three wires,red black orange,i cut the orange wire off,all of the lighting is powered from a twin button battery pack,with built in switch,works great.

I posted a short video of it working with all the lights on Modelerstube . com,as for my Queen kit the legs and arms are all solid,so no issues there,but thanks for your interest.

Cool - the same reason (and the fact that Ridley does not look quite right) that I did not start mine. Will have a look around for those.

The legs are solid on mine as well - but solid vinyl. And be warned - they do sag. 😞

4 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Cool - the same reason (and the fact that Ridley does not look quite right) that I did not start mine. Will have a look around for those.

The legs are solid on mine as well - but solid vinyl. And be warned - they do sag. 😞

Well i have taken your warning about the legs sag problem and in my warm veranda this afternoon,they have become quite soft,so i can see how they could sag.

Hopefully i have sorted the issue. I have drilled from the base of the feet up to just below the bend for the knee,and i have also drilled from the top of the knee cap down to the bend of the leg,then i have inserted cotton bud[que tips] sticks coated with JB weld slow epoxy into the legs.

This fingers crossed  this should solve the problem,time will tell i guess,but it's sure better than just the vinyl.

Hi all, this is a quick update on my Aliens diorama. I have now completed the Queen model and can begin work on the base. I started the paintwork on the Queen with a black basecoat, and then added silver pearlescent followed by candy pearl blue and amber colours which is hard to show up in photos. I also used fibre optic strands to use as replacement teeth as the kit teeth looked like horse teeth to me and weren't scary enough! I'll post more in the next week or so, when I have finished the base.

MQtqmn9.jpg
jU4b5nj.jpg
IPJ2Pe2.jpg
PuziHjs.jpg
pTzxhwF.jpg
nyNfWIt.jpg
lhAzaJZ.jpg
vQ4PWJ9.jpg
k7AzEY8.jpg
PjkkwEh.jpg
spqbx2k.jpg
uS0BuHT.jpg